1 2 3
ekauppi7
ekauppi7 New Reader
8/16/09 11:45 p.m.

I really like RWD station wagons. RWD for ease of working on it, handling, and towing capability. Wagon for stowage room and practicality, anti-fashion statement, that whole Q-ship thing. During the week I use the wagon like a truck, hauling things to work. Weekends often involve a load of gear in the back and two motorcycles on a trailer behind.

My current daily driver is a Volvo 940 turbo wagon. I love it for reliability and easy to work on, tows great, decent performance and handling when lightly modified. But I do not love the automatic trans and the poor freeway mileage (due to a turbo and a heavy foot combined with no lockup torque convertor). I've thought of converting it to a manual trans, but it's not easy since Volvo never sold 940 manuals in the US and the Volvo trans that would bolt in is not so great. There are good swaps available (Supra) but that's a lot of work to put into it.

So what to buy? Magnum too big on the outside, too small on the inside, poor fuel economy, no stick. Mazda 3 or WRX wagon OK but a bit small and hard to work on, not great for towing. Newer Volvos too slow and expensive, FWD or AWD with transverse engine.

So I'm thinking BMW, maybe 1997-2004 528iT or 525iT. No V8 for me, too cramped under the hood and too thirsty. With some searching the 5-series wagons can be found with a manual trans. But I know nothing about BMW's.

What do you think? What have I missed? Will I be happy with a BMW? What to look for and what to avoid?

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/16/09 11:53 p.m.

Manual swap is easy. Find a manual 740 and swap it in. The only thing you would need is a 60-2 flywheel, from a LH2.4 manual car, but I've ran across them plenty of times.

All 90+ 740s with a manual have the correct flywheel as well as 89 NAs

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter HalfDork
8/16/09 11:59 p.m.

ekauppi7
ekauppi7 New Reader
8/17/09 12:01 a.m.

Yeah, I just sold a manual 740 wagon (not turbo) that the wife and I drove for years. Frankly the Volvo 4+OD manual isn't a performance trans at all, balky, slow shifting, not so much fun. But reliable of course. I think Volvo made a more modern 5-speed but even in Europe it was only available in the non-turbo cars? The clunky old 4+OD is the one you can find over here, and it just doesn't float my boat.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/17/09 12:05 a.m.

The M47 5spd fits just the same as the M46 4+OD, my friend has one in his 90 744t.

It isn't good for 250+HP, but for a daily with 15lbs of boost or so, it should be fine.

The euro only you speak of is the M90. It is stronger than the M46 or M47, it did come w/turbo cars though.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
8/17/09 12:05 a.m.
ReverendDexter wrote:

I miss our Country Squire...

Shaun
Shaun Reader
8/17/09 12:31 a.m.
ekauppi7 wrote: Newer Volvos too slow and expensive, FWD or AWD with transverse engine.

I like the BMW wagons for sure-

The 2000 volvo v70r has self leveling rear shocks, Is not hard to work on at all (well..., not a s easy as rwd volvos), and makes 260 hp and 260flbs stock. A remap, exhaust, and clean a clean air filter get you a bit north of 300 hp and quite a bit north of 300 ftlbs. They are traverse mounted and FWD bias, but the rear end has a limited slip diff for snow and they approach neutral with IPD sways and decent dampers.. Some people prefer the 98 v70r because it is pre throttle by wire. I like the 2000 because it has the mitsu 19t turbo, bigger injectors, stronger internals, and variable valve timing on the intake side. They only come with a 5 speed auto, and it does have a locking torque converter.

They hold tons of stuff is why I mention them, and they go pretty good after they get rolling. 18 city and 25 hwy is what I have read quite often as posted by owners. Probably my next wagon unless we really get some diesels over here. they are going for 5-10k

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/17/09 4:15 a.m.

Fwiw, the Magnum was available with a 5-spd, but only behind the V6.

bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
8/17/09 6:20 a.m.

Vista Cruiser!

Raze
Raze Reader
8/17/09 6:50 a.m.

I miss my family's Pontiac Parisienne (this wasn't ours, we were rocking the faux wood grain):

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
8/17/09 7:51 a.m.

e39 525i/528i BMW wagons are very cool cars, but finding one with a manual transmission can be tough. One with the Sport option and a manual transmission is even harder to find.

TJ
TJ HalfDork
8/17/09 9:43 a.m.

cl link

How about a Jaguar x type AWD wagon?

RossD
RossD HalfDork
8/17/09 9:47 a.m.

FTW

Ian F
Ian F HalfDork
8/17/09 10:05 a.m.

it really depends on how much work you want to do, but T-5 swaps into Volvos have become somewhat common.

I agree about the std 5 -spd... I test drove a 240 a few years ago w/ one... felt as "truck-ish" as the 5 spd in my old Toyota 4x4 p/u.

The_Jed
The_Jed Reader
8/17/09 11:28 a.m.

Subarus are very easy to work on,not so handy for towing though. Have you looked into an H-6 Outback? I'm sure it could tow a bit more than a WRX.

plance1
plance1 HalfDork
8/17/09 11:38 a.m.

I just bought a 940 turbo wagon but here is another one of my past vehicles to get your juices flowing.... sexy isn't it? I actually loved driving this thing...

Appleseed
Appleseed HalfDork
8/17/09 3:14 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: Vista Cruiser!

The only answer. Everything else is rubbish.

(Buick Sport Wagon is a close second, though)

slefain
slefain Dork
8/17/09 4:14 p.m.

Ian F
Ian F HalfDork
8/17/09 4:18 p.m.

hmm... one of his complaints was the automatic trans and poor highway mileage... and as cool at the old aircraft carriers are, they fail in both criteria...

An E34 or E39 wagon w/ a spd isn't a bad choice. Of course, this assumes you plan to do most work on it yourself. Otherwise, you could be in for a world of $$$-pain.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Reader
8/17/09 7:34 p.m.

I am thinking of a BMW 3 series or MB C class wagon or just older MB wagon.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter HalfDork
8/17/09 9:25 p.m.
Ian F wrote: hmm... one of his complaints was the automatic trans and poor highway mileage... and as cool at the old aircraft carriers are, they fail in both criteria...

Bollocks!

Manual trans to go behind a domestic smallblock can be found in EVERY SINGLE junkyard in the country, and mileage is only a pair of turbos away (doubly so when combined with the .5:1 O/D found in the viper-spec T56).

On top of that, a twin-turbo Country Squire converted to a stickshift will have a total cost of less than $10k (and that's assuming that you buy a turbo kit and don't roll your own). You'll also have parts availability at every rickety shack of a parts house in every podunk town you happen to find yourself in, and you'll never be at the whim of german automotive electrical engineers.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Reader
8/17/09 11:00 p.m.

A good option is the e34 BMW 5 series touring. They can be found at reasonable prices with a manual trans if you keep your looking and are willing to travel. The e39 were very few and far between with manuals. I think I've only seen 1 and it went for big $ with a ton of miles on it. You won't find a manual trans 3 series wagon for less than $10k.

Another option is an Audi A4 wagon. You can find those in manual. I had one for a while. it was OK but MPG was about mid 20s highway. Maintenance can be a pita if it was neglected.

Mazda 3 and WRX aren't really that hard to work on. Don't understand where you are coming from there. I'm sure they are easier than anything German.

I know someone with an LS1 + T56 Volvo wagon. Sweet sleeper of a car. :)

InigoMontoya
InigoMontoya Reader
8/18/09 1:16 a.m.

Subaru Legacy GT Wagon, bigger than the WRX with all the turbo goodness.

jrw1621
jrw1621 HalfDork
8/18/09 7:06 a.m.

You could be "the master of the road" in this 40k mile beauty.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994-Buick-Roadmaster-Wagon-40-200-miles-Mint_W0QQitemZ250484034363QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item3a52030b3b&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/18/09 7:20 a.m.

Found it:

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Tgve1bRNQ6U3eAyeJKVLSxFHYjJJbbu9AuyV2x38ZD9qNpRcPh88szyldVQFPPzl