Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
6/2/08 5:38 p.m.

Looking to pick up a second set of wheels for my Miata. The previous owner put 15x6 Integra GSR alloys on it. They have Toyo Proxes 4 tires in good condition. I'm planning to either buy a set for getting started drifting the Miata, or to become my new primaries, and relegate the current rims to drift use. Trying to decide what direction to go for wheels.

I have two possible sets lined up from local Miata club guys: A set of stock 14" Miata Alloys (12.5lbs) with tires with "marginal" tread on them - $150 A set of MR2 Spyder 15" Alloys (staggered width, 15lbs) with Azenis 615s with about 35% tread left - $300

Which of these would work out better?

Or, I can just bite the bullet and pop for some decently lightweight 15x7s. Edgeracing has a set I've been eyeing that cost <$100ea and weigh 11lbs.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/2/08 5:46 p.m.

Are you talking about the Falken Hanabi (sp?) wheels by chance? I'd personally stick with 15" wheels. Tires cost a little more but you have more choices.

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
6/2/08 5:46 p.m.

I've never seen anybody I know run staggered on a Miata. OTOH, I've used both Daisys (the stock Minilite look-alike) and the hollow-spokes from the later cars on track with reasonable success.

So, assuming you rule out the staggered setup, you're going to have to buy tires anyhow. It comes down to whether the look of the Edge Racing set over the Daisys is worth the money to you. (I do like the Hanabis.) Also, going with a 15" wheel will give you better tire selection. There aren't a whole lot of performance tires in 14" any more.

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
6/2/08 5:54 p.m.

Yeah, the Falken Hanabi. I'd really like 15x7 rims for my standard auto-x/track use. But I also want to save money wherever possible.

I'm kinda thinking the 15" rim might be better purely from the standpoint of more tire options. I figure it will be easier for me to find lightly used tires for cheap, and thus save me more than the $150 initial cost diff.

OTOH, my girlfriend will split the cost of wheels/tires for this car with me, since she gets free use of it, tracks it with me, and wants to drift it too.

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
6/2/08 5:57 p.m.
billy3esq wrote: So, assuming you rule out the staggered setup, you're going to have to buy tires anyhow. It comes down to whether the look of the Edge Racing set over the Daisys is worth the money to you. (I do like the Hanabis.) Also, going with a 15" wheel will give you better tire selection. There aren't a whole lot of performance tires in 14" any more.

What kind of performance difference will I see with the Hanabi (15x7 - 11#) vs. Stock Alloys (14x6 - 12.5#)?

I do like the look of the Hanabi's, but I'm more interested in the potential for improved performance.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/2/08 5:57 p.m.

Hey thats not a bad deal then. If she's splitting it,what about some SSR Comps?

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
6/2/08 6:05 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago wrote: Hey thats not a bad deal then. If she's splitting it,what about some SSR Comps?

Haha! I'm not ready to go to R-Comps yet. I want to develop my skills and build good habits on a street tire for a while. I'm not worried about being competitive in the meantime, just having fun and learning. Plus, the Hanabis would become my primary wheel, as the current wheels get relegated to drift use. I've been pleased with the Toyo Proxes 4s that are on there now, but I could potentially jump to some Azenis rt615s.

Also, I might be straining the agreement if I decide to drop $750 rather than $400.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/2/08 6:27 p.m.

What's the offset of the MR2 wheels?

The SSR Comp is a wheel, not a tire.

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
6/2/08 6:38 p.m.
Keith wrote: What's the offset of the MR2 wheels? The SSR Comp is a wheel, not a tire.

Ah, wheel. Go it. I know nothing about them. Somehow I suspect that it's gratuitously more than what I need.

I don't know the offsets on the MR2 wheels. The guy has had them on his Miata and hasn't had any issues though.

Hmm... E-Bay for wheels? Do it? Or run far far away?

Also... what's the effect of 16" wheels on a Miata? Seem a bit large, but they're more prevalent on CL.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PhpMWhkg8A21Og3FrbfgmxIZnwyVQWUTXFP6I3EY3L1VIrvw4gXPchDffp9pnLh2