1 2
BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/29/21 6:25 p.m.

Specifically "not Amazon".

Why? Because I just purchased a made in USA SK Tools socket that I need for my sudden Range Rover project, and received a made in Taiwan Williams socket from Amazon. With an SK Tools sticker on the bag. The other tool I urgently needed that also was supposed to be delivered today is "delayed". Now I'm sure the socket I got is perfectly fine and good quality, but it's not what I paid for and retails for about 2/3rd of the SK Tools one. I'd prefer not to repeat this experience.

So, after this minor rant, who do we like for good (but not necessarily Snap On/Matco) quality tools that does reliable mail order and tends to have less common tools available (ie, the stuff that HF doesn't necessarily carry as part of the IKON line - say, quality triple square and stuff like that). Basically someone who stocks the likes of SK, maybe Wera or Hazet, although the latter tends to be near Snap-On pricing.

I think inviting the local tool truck to my home workshop might work out a little too expensive for my liking in the long run .

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/29/21 6:50 p.m.

As someone who is looking for a triple square right now, I would also like to hear suggestions.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/29/21 6:54 p.m.

I have been enjoying the Schwaben euro tools.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben-parts/

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/29/21 6:54 p.m.

McMaster-Carr has everything but don't list a brand on anything so you won't know until it shows up. They do let you know everything else though along with where it is made.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/29/21 6:55 p.m.

I was going to suggest TheToolWarehouse.net, but it appears the website/store is closed.  I wonder what happened.  I bought a lot of stuff from there and had good experiences.  Especially since being in NYC, I'd often get orders the next day.

So I guess I'm looking for a new tool source as well. 

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/29/21 7:01 p.m.

I use Tooltopia a lot. Always good. Wide selection.

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
12/29/21 7:18 p.m.

KC Tool has a pretty good selection of German stuff.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
12/29/21 7:23 p.m.

Harry Epstein in Kansas City doesn't have a ton of mechanic's tools, but they sell a wide variety of stuff for all trades and are great to deal with (also well worth a visit if you're in the KC area).  https://www.harryepstein.com

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/29/21 7:26 p.m.

Sears and Lowes sell Craftsman tools.   Either will ship.  

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/29/21 7:27 p.m.

KC Tool and be done

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/29/21 8:57 p.m.

Most of my tools are Snap-On but lately I've been ordering from McMaster-Carr.  You never know what brand you'll get but it's always quality stuff and sometimes it's Snap-On.

Opti
Opti Dork
12/29/21 9:32 p.m.

A friend likes JDTco. Says it's a lot of the same stuff you get on the tool truck but before it gets rebranded so it's cheaper.

Never used them though

BoxheadTim
12/30/21 8:35 a.m.

Thanks for all of the recommendations! Looks like I've got a few sites to browse after hiding my wallet.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/30/21 8:53 a.m.

https://www.tekton.com/ has gotten good reviews around here before.  I considered buying the 1/4in metric set and 3/8 metric set for portable car work.  I've held the tools and they feel good.  I really like the cases they come in.  The case seems sturdy with real hinges.  I like a case fo knowing that I have put everything back and not lost a tool.  

Their warranty is "upload a picture of your broken tool to our website and we will ship to you (shipping included) a replacement tool."

Grand Rapids, Michigan based company but I'm not sure to say where the tools are made.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
12/30/21 9:56 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

They seem to be made all over.  My stubby metric wrench set was made in Taiwan, and I've had no problems with it at all.  The 30/60 degree angle wrench set they have that I am considering buying is made in the USA.

obsolete
obsolete GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/30/21 10:41 p.m.

Zoro has never done me wrong. They're also pretty generous with 15-20% off coupon codes, and hand tools is frequently one of the eligible categories.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
12/30/21 11:51 p.m.

Why don't we just call this thread "The Rabbit Hole."

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi HalfDork
12/31/21 8:29 a.m.

I got hooked on harry epstein thru garage journal.  Also, check out zoro as a sort of amazon-meets-MSC storefront.  

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/31/21 11:35 a.m.

I tend to get stuff through Amazon (I'm a big fan of their fast shipping), but only go with certain brands, and try to stick with the actual brand's Amazon storefront.  Some of what I'd call the mid-tier brands of tools I've had good luck with are Tekton, Sunex, and Gearwrench, and I check the seller's ratings before ordering.  Certain things I refuse to buy on Amazon/eBay because of the whole counterfeit parts thing (think Honda Timing Belt/Water Pump kit), and in that case I typically go with Rock Auto.  Speaking of Rock Auto, they sell tools/fluids, as well.  So try them for the part number you're looking for.  I do set price alerts for certain things on Amazon and am on SlickDeals pretty regularly to check on prices for tools.  

I've started to make the leap from the absolute cheapest tool into the mid-range, and even the high-end when it makes sense.  For instance, I just cracked another HF deep impact socket (17mm), so I'm no longer using those with an actual impact.  I didn't notice the socket had cracked, so it started to round the bolt a bit.  It's not worth it to save a few bucks on the impact sockets, and start destroying bolts and making my life more difficult.  For deep impacts, I have some of the Craftsman Professional series that seem to be well-made and beefier than HF.  And I just ordered a set of Tekton 1/2 shallow impacts that seem beefier than the HF set I have.  I also purchased a flex head Gearwrench 1/4" drive 120xp ratchet from Amazon that I wish I had gotten years ago.  I also love my HF 3/8" flex head long handle ratchet, as well.

After snapping bolts with my HF 1/4" and 3/8" torque wrenches, I literally threw them out (not easy for me to do) and bought better tools.  I went with CDI for the 3/8" (I did some research and it seems like they make Snap-Ons torque wrenches), and went with another mid-range brand for the 1/4". So at least I'm starting to learn from my mistakes smiley

I've had good luck with the specialty shops like ECS Tuning and Pelican for model or brand-specific tools - they typically sell what works well.

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/31/21 2:22 p.m.

I have purchased good quality triple square tools thru FCP Euro in the past, Keith.

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/1/22 10:54 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

BIL got me a set of Tekton prybars. They were well thought out and quality material. Gonna say made in USA

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
1/1/22 11:09 p.m.

I've been happy with the Tekton tools (and air hose) that I've purchased. 

I've purchased a number of SK tools through Amazon as well and never had a problem.  I see the brand has been sold by Ideal to Great Star, a Chinese conglomerate, and I'm not sure how that will work out as time goes by.

BoxheadTim
1/9/22 4:24 p.m.

Welp, put in the first order with KC Tools while trying cover my eyes so I don't see the prices...

If I sounded I like have an issue with tools that are made in Taiwan or China - I don't, I own plenty of them. What I did have an issue with is someone sticking a "wrong" label on a tool and there not really being any way to communicate that to Amazon. Plus, I would prefer to support some smaller vendors as well. I buy too much stuff at Amazon as is.

BoxheadTim
1/9/22 4:44 p.m.

On a different note, does anybody have any experience with Haus of Tools? They also seem to have a good selection of the medium to higher end brands.

BAMF
BAMF HalfDork
1/9/22 6:10 p.m.
02Pilot said:

KC Tool has a pretty good selection of German stuff.

stuart in mn said:

Harry Epstein in Kansas City doesn't have a ton of mechanic's tools, but they sell a wide variety of stuff for all trades and are great to deal with (also well worth a visit if you're in the KC area).  https://www.harryepstein.com

Came to mention both of these. I'm lucky to have them nearby.

Harry Epstein is one of my favorite places to take people who like tools, it's an experience!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HeCV1DHwYzAqxEEGtOMtQZ4XNZcknyIayii1AdMUwI0cyyLY1avafQRBBKT01Nrs