1 2
Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/27/08 12:58 p.m.

checks the map regularly to see if any new GRM'ers are in their neighborhood?

Salanis
Salanis Dork
6/27/08 1:02 p.m.

Yeah... but there's still no one else listed as being from Sactown.

Jay
Jay HalfDork
6/27/08 2:13 p.m.

I do. I'm still the only one in Europe. :(
Or at least I'm the only European who's figured out how to get my marker to show up.

J

nickel_dime
nickel_dime HalfDork
6/27/08 2:17 p.m.

Looks like the Right Coast is covered.

Not a single one in Idaho or North Dakota.

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
6/27/08 2:32 p.m.

WHOA COOL!!! There's someone in Canton! Oh wait, it's just kevin.

pete240z
pete240z HalfDork
6/27/08 2:36 p.m.

wow, a lot of guys in the Chicago area. I better watch what I say here........

slefain
slefain Dork
6/27/08 2:40 p.m.

Only one problem with the map. It only allows for one person per zip code. I know for a long time I was the only one with a true Atlanta city zip code, but now there is someone new and I am no longer on the map.

Duke
Duke Dork
6/27/08 2:44 p.m.

I wasn't on the map until I filled in City, State, and ZIP. Did you leave one empty?

The person I assumed was me on the map turns out to be a guy just over the state line from me. Maybe I'll meet him someday.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/27/08 2:45 p.m.
Jay wrote: I do. I'm still the only one in Europe. :( Or at least I'm the only European who's figured out how to get my marker to show up. J

How'd you do it? I noticed you're the only person to get it done outside of the US or Canada.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/27/08 2:48 p.m.

Slefain, I actually modified the code awhile back to use ZIP, too, if it's provided.

Only thing is, it won't get your mapping coordinates unless something changed. So, if you don't have the ZIP in your profile, put it in, and it will start using it. If you DO, then change something in the address and save your profile. If you want, change it right back. It's just looking for a change before it bothers to get the geo-coordinates again.

After that, it's all in google's hands.

Gameboy, I have no idea how Jay pulled it off, but if you want to go to some online geocoding service or another and get the coordinates for your address, I'll put them in manually for you.

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 HalfDork
6/27/08 3:14 p.m.

I got all excited to see somebody else from my hometown... then I realized I invited him

Oh, hi nate

Rangeball
Rangeball New Reader
6/27/08 3:45 p.m.

Cool. Three others in Jacksonville. Actually saw an S2000 with a grm sticker on the fender yesterday too.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver New Reader
6/27/08 3:58 p.m.

noone within an hour of me.

but there is someone over in morgantown who drives a morgan... perhaps ill have to shoot him a PM inviting him to the next auto-x

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
6/27/08 10:44 p.m.

what map

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/27/08 10:51 p.m.

The one I linked to in the first post. Or click community, then map (in the right column)

maroon92
maroon92 Dork
6/27/08 11:28 p.m.

there are apparently two of me, my old board name is still listed apparently.

I never checked until someone said something.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/27/08 11:37 p.m.

Wo-hoo, I'm on the grid.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/28/08 5:40 a.m.

I was thinking that this is great. The next road trip (more than say 200 miles from home) all I need is AAA and this map

2.0dohc
2.0dohc New Reader
6/28/08 5:57 a.m.

I haven't worked out how to get it to work for me yet, but with any luck I'll be back stateside soon

grtechguy
grtechguy SuperDork
6/28/08 7:22 a.m.

I check it every so often. I know that there are more than what's shown.

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce Reader
6/28/08 8:25 a.m.

Never thought to actually look at it. Several guys around me, nice touch.

Could you make it talk like the map on Dora the Explorer. That way if I ask it questions it can answer with logical accuracy. Just kidding Tim, I haven't asked for anything ridiculous in a couple weeks. The site keeps getting better and better. Thanks!

fastEddie
fastEddie Dork
6/28/08 9:00 a.m.
maroon92 wrote: there are apparently two of me, my old board name is still listed apparently. I never checked until someone said something.

Yeah, my old name is showing up too and I've since moved on top of that (my current name shows up in the right location though, just an extra my old name in my old location is still there).

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/28/08 11:19 a.m.

What are the old names? I'm betting you registered twice, maybe once for Classic Motorsports and once for Grassroots?

Jay
Jay HalfDork
6/28/08 2:33 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: How'd you do it? I noticed you're the only person to get it done outside of the US or Canada.

It wouldn't accept German states and it wouldn't display anything if I left the state blank so I used "DE" as the state and the correct German postal code. Then it showed up.

J

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/28/08 3:52 p.m.

Forgive my ignorant American question, but isn't DE the country code for Germany? Handy that it maps to a US state abbreviation. Maybe that's how it worked.

There's quite a few gecoding services online. Here's one that works with addresses outside the US: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/geocoding.html

If you're outside the US (and really, really want to be on the map), send me the part that looks like this: 51.506325, -0.127144 and I'll put i in for you.

However, that still doesn't necessarily means that Google maps will place you accurately, but it does give it coordinates to try.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uZij1lNIzJVC80TGuSrW2AkzoxXNuatD5Tf2ousCwczGYQMm5JcQgPP2nsRAeVKk