1 2 3 4 5 ... 38
Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
12/15/15 9:18 p.m.

Me, not so much, but welcome everyone!

jfryjfry
jfryjfry New Reader
12/16/15 9:07 a.m.
frecks wrote: Hello. I'm Andrew. I discovered GRM & joined the forum about 2 months ago. My day job is building software for manufacturing companies. My interests are vast & ever changing, but I always enjoy trying to build & learn new stuff - especially stuff with motors, electronics, or software. Most of my buddies from college were gearheads & they got me hooked on this stuff. The stable consists of a 2011 VW GTI (DD), a 1994 Mazda Miata (project), a 1989 Honda Accord (24 Hours of Lemons), a 2010 Triumph Street Triple R (Summer DD), & a 2006 Suzuki DR650 (Girlfriend's motorcycle). This is a great community here & I wish I had found it earlier!

My brother has a 92 accord lemons car and we are consistently in the top 5 or 10 on lap times. It can be pretty impressive

DocV
DocV New Reader
12/16/15 10:05 a.m.

I am a longtime lurker off and on... I discovered GRM and the message board back in 99-2000 when I was a college freshman and carless, and spent many hours reading and pining for a GRM style ride. That was a time when "the answer" seemed to be Z-car or Spitfire. I left Georgia Tech before the Wreck Racing crew came about.

Fast forward a decade through career and many moves, and I am finally in a position to have a project car. I have no mechanical knowledge and no mechanically inclined friends, but have been suitably emboldened by this board and YouTube to buy an E30 and start wrenching in the driveway. I am moving into a garage, and I am trying to find a beater to Rallycross.

This has always been my favorite place to kill 10 mins in between tasks and I am even worse now with my phone. I appreciate and respect the collective experience of this place, and I think that the "culture" and atmosphere of this board is unmatched.

Leadfoot
Leadfoot New Reader
12/21/15 12:30 p.m.

Hello,

Been here since 2012 but never posted. Well, until now. Long time subscriber.

jbrizz99
jbrizz99
12/21/15 2:58 p.m.

Hi Everyone,

My name is Joe Brizzolara. I live in Northeast Ohio.

I've raced sprint and enduro karts for the last 5 years and recently started doing track days in a 91 Miata. I've don't about 10 track days at 5 different tracks so far and I really enjoy it.

I enjoy working on the Miata and really enjoy driving. Eventually I'd like to get involved in either Spec Miata, LeMons or some other racing series.

I enjoy reading the forum and like cruising the classified ads looking for either another car or goodies for the Miata.

Thanks and Happy Holidays, Joe

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
12/21/15 4:46 p.m.

In reply to jbrizz99:

Hey, a local guy. I see you are in V-town. Myself in Huron Twp so pretty much one town over.

I am a longtime Miata autox'er from Toledo who has lived here for 5 years now.
Over the years, autox'ing has taken a back seat to sailboat racing. But, for the recent couple years, less sailboat and more autox getting back into my life.

jbrizz99
jbrizz99 New Reader
12/22/15 7:28 a.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621: Hey John, how's it going? Thanks for the message. I've never tried autox? Where do you do it locally?

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
12/22/15 12:42 p.m.

Autox:
The Akron Sports Car Club held a few events at Lorain Speedway years back.

NE Ohio SCCA does events in the Mentor area. I was at one of those this year as the shakedown for The Challenge Q45.

Mid Ohio Sport Car Club holds good events in the Mansfield area, Shelby, OH.

NW Ohio SCCA runs great events in Toledo.

floatingdoc
floatingdoc GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/26/15 9:33 p.m.

Relatively new here. I work across the street from the track entrance at Daytona. I've wrenched on some cars for fun, but the truth is that the only purpose of subscribing to the magazine and reading the website is for vicarious enjoyment.

I'm tapped out financially, raising two kids and recovering from a bankruptcy and loss of my veterinary practice in the recession. There's not going to be any more project cars for me. Still fun to read about, though.

calsrf39
calsrf39 New Reader
12/28/15 11:38 a.m.

Hello, I've been a subscriber for a few years now. I haven't posted much on the forum, as everyone around here knows waaaaaay more than I do! I guess I'll have to post up some questions. I am a fan of sports cars and have been since going to the IMSA races in the 80s at Road America as a kid. I was also lucky enough to have raced Spec Racers in the SCCA for a couple of years when I was younger. Now, with a family I do not have anywhere near the funds for that which is why I really like this magazine and forum for all of the "low buck" ideas. Now if I can just find my own $1000 Miata near Wisconsin that isn't completely rusted out.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/30/15 9:41 p.m.

Welcome, everyone, who has joined us. Thanks for being part of our club.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/5/16 4:09 p.m.

We have a club? Nobody ever taught me the secret handshake.

Welcome, everybody!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
1/5/16 4:25 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy:

I use my secret decoder ring every time I walk into the shop. It only ever translates to " you're berked."

ProMetalShop
ProMetalShop None
1/11/16 9:35 p.m.

Hi Folks, just joined last evening.

gymkhana_guy
gymkhana_guy None
1/12/16 1:01 p.m.

1st time poster, long time reader.

I have been a reader since I found GRM in bookstores back in '98 after I moved back stateside for a bit. There is just something about the feeling I get when a fresh issue shows up in the mail. Pure joy.

When it comes to driving, I guess my story isn't all that different from some, albeit it wasn't in the U.S, but in Japan. Growing up in the Midwest, I thought bigger was better and the concept of curvy roads was practically nonexistent. Nothing is wrong with that, but having had the chance to have different experiences has allowed me to find what I love with cars and driving today. Back when I first moved to Japan is where I used to goof around on the streets with friends. I eventually fell in love with small cars with little power.

After a while, I moved back to the states and found out that I preferred track events. The local driving clubs around Seattle and their attitude to new entrants that didn't know anything from anything really sealed the deal. It didn't seem to matter who they were, big name or not, they were all really welcoming. I was hooked from that point on with organized events.

Life is strange and somehow I found myself back in Japan. That is when my involvement with gymkhana events began (kicking myself for not having known better when I was younger and blew off the notion). I even started a local club to put on driving events, more akin to autocross than gymkhana, geared at the local American population here to help promote a positive image for motorsports.

Cars? Well, once a manufacturer starts cutting me checks for my loyalty, they'll have it. Until then, I'll continue to drive whatever I can get my hands on. Now, a magazine, on the other hand....well, I got my GRM T-shirt so you've got my undying loyalty.

lemachin
lemachin None
1/13/16 10:10 a.m.

Been reading here for a while, haven't yet commented on anything but this seems like a good time to start.

I am a city planner living in Ottawa, and have autocrossed a BMW E30 for 4 years. I'm hoping to start doing track days with it this year, as funds allow. The E30 is my only car, and I only really use it for weekend trips and motorsport events. It lives a pretty good life for a 26-year-old bimmer.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/13/16 4:15 p.m.

Time for another welcome.

Welcome!

angst
angst
1/15/16 9:35 a.m.

Hi , been interested in doing some HDPE . A friend of mine is trying to get me into Chumpcar with an E36 , I am debating getting a Miata or e36 for some HPDE maybe .

Not much of a gearhead, but a good problem solver / instruction reader . With some friends help I hope to learn how to do some basic wrenching on my own .

WingZombie
WingZombie New Reader
1/22/16 7:34 a.m.

Lurked for a while and just started posting recently.

Been a car guy my whole life. I had an F-body that I auto crossed in the mid-90's and even did the Bondurant school when I lived on the left coast. A couple years ago I picked up a 2006 Mini Cooper S for just a fun car to drive in the summer then as a present my wife sent me to the Miles Ahead Mini Performance driving school at Indy...that did it. I've been doing track days at mid-Ohio and now Pitt race for the past couple of years. No real aspirations of doing much beyond track days and autocross.

I'm a capable wrench turner (I've rebuild the front end and done the clutch on the Mini recently...coilovers are sitting in the garage) and I used to do some fabrication. When I lived out west I built a few rock crawlers, etc.

I'm an info junky so what better place that here to learn more.

Cheers!

Taterstein
Taterstein New Reader
1/22/16 9:38 a.m.

Oh pick me! I'm new!
I've been a long time lurker and subscriber and realized perhaps I was missing out on all the fun. I think the community here is remarkable and a bit of anomaly compared to what you usually find on Internet forums and I'm glad to join the fray!

DirtHog
DirtHog New Reader
1/23/16 12:45 p.m.

Hi everyone. I am happy to join your forum. I came here because I love Harley's, off-road vehicles, dirt bikes, and general racing. Growing up my grandfather owned a garage and I spent my summers working on stock cars with him. He built stock cars to race every Friday night at the local track. At the end of the event certain people would participate in the smash up derby. I've owned a few motorcycles, Quads, and trucks. I love the desert season when I can go out and play in the sand.

Rubens
Rubens New Reader
1/31/16 12:25 a.m.

Hi....

I've got here on Jan 28 - 2016, but i know the magazine since early 2000s.

From 2008 to 2015 I worked in a speed shop in Brazil, selling performance parts for drag racing car and classic American Muscle and Harleys. The perfect job in a messed up country. Now I live in Canada, working in Parts dept. of a huge Collision center. A boring job in a good country.

Well... that's life, we try our best.

AquaHusky
AquaHusky HalfDork
1/31/16 3:40 a.m.

Says I've been part of the fun since 2010, but, I just logged in for the first time in like a year

seyhan3535
seyhan3535 New Reader
1/31/16 9:56 p.m.

I'm a lurker. I log on and look at the build threads to get inspired. I then proceed to hack at my vehicle D: (2006 saab 9-3 2.0T autotragic). Living in NYC condemns me to work on the car in a parking lot in front of pep boys. But me and the old man have done some pretty awesome repairs in the dead of snowy blizzards (1.8t VW timing belt change and water pump change. An impromptu radiator change on a saab 9-5(v6 lame D:) before the following alternating parking day.)

I really just come on here and look at the exceptional skills that some of you guys have. It's also nice to know that not everyone thinks that saabs are lame D:

PushrodRWD
PushrodRWD None
2/5/16 3:29 p.m.

I just joined to discuss the transition from an occasional autocrosser to having driving as a significant hobby. I'm a car nut that likes all kinds of cars and racing. I will go to Formula 1 races, NASCAR, local short track or endurance races. I'm not too keen on drifting or pristine show cars, but appreciate others who do. My debate for 2016 is to either resurrect mu old Z28 and put in a few grand to run it or to spend a bit more and get a more intrinsically capable car. Looking forward to gaining some valuable insight.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 38

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PdNXV7PhWquSRx32PWJkBJ22CFxCWcfdne6XWKgIdNkNNJjyoP034fMF1tIOgs6C