1 2 3 4
TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project Reader
1/25/18 4:58 p.m.

I can verify, my dad lives northeast of Austin (Lampasas) and there is only one pizza place he knows of that isn't chain in the area. He misses the pizza here back home (Milwaukee). But what they lack in pizzerias they more than make up for in smokehouses... 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
1/25/18 6:11 p.m.

Best pizza was when I was freezing cold on Lake Michigan at Burnham Harbor in Chicago trying to do some smelt fishing on a damp early April evening.  

The Connie’s Pizza truck drives down the access road and asks if we want to buy a pizza.  We ask if he’s got a sausage pizza........

Sorry guys, all I have left are fully loaded, piping hot, deep dish large pizzas he says.  

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/25/18 6:41 p.m.

In reply to Joe Gearin :

I had a halfway decent slice in Daytona across the street from the beach.  The place looked like it was trapped in the 80s, just the pizza counter, some tables and a few old video games but it was an acceptable proper sized slice to be folded the way God intended.

I think the water for the crust is an old wives tale.  Ive had good slices in pretty odd places and believe the real issue is that the person just doesn't make good pizza.  In the late 80s/early 90s I knew several people that moved to Florida and opened pizzerias or bagel shops.  They assumed working a summer in an uncle's shop and having a New York accent would be enough to make a business work. In reality they made E36 M3ty food up here and continued to do it there blaming the water for their poor work. 

Papabishop
Papabishop New Reader
1/25/18 7:59 p.m.

Well being in so Texas I can attest pizza does suck down here. Best pizza I can get is homemade. BUT we do have some bomb a#$ Mexican food!!

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/25/18 8:29 p.m.

I think the perfect pizza was created in Detroit. Being 1/2 way between Chicago and NY, we got both ideas and built something better. Not knee deep Chicago, not paper thin NY. 

https://cbsdetroit.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/buddys1.jpg

Buddy's is king.

Now lets talk about getting In-N-Out Burger up here!!

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
1/25/18 9:43 p.m.

I had a really great sausage and pepperoni pizza at a place in southern Taiwan (that place also had a squid and corn pizza on the menu which I never tried)...the point is, there's good pizza everywhere, it's just harder to find in some places.

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/25/18 9:47 p.m.
Robbie said:

Coincidentally, if you know someone who likes coffee and wants to open a business in Chicago, I want to find a partner. Totally serious.

Intelligensia??????? 

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
1/28/18 7:43 p.m.

A Lady from Chicago opened a pizza store here in N.Ga. the crust was like a saltine cracker, the Mad Italian Made GREAT  Cheese Steak sandwich's and said the water here required them to Modify the recipe for the rolls, But here the Mellow Mushroom is the best Pie.

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
1/28/18 7:53 p.m.
Gearheadotaku said:

I think the perfect pizza was created in Detroit. Being 1/2 way between Chicago and NY, we got both ideas and built something better. Not knee deep Chicago, not paper thin NY. 

Buddy's is king.

Buddy’s is indeed a legit square pizza...  

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/28/18 9:47 p.m.
84FSP said:
Gearheadotaku said:

Buddy's is king.

Buddy’s is indeed a legit square pizza...  

I have one of their pans and made my own version.  My wife,  from Detroit,  makes Chicago style deep dish stuffed pizza.  I'm from Long Island and love Sicilian style. 

ssswitch
ssswitch Dork
1/28/18 10:12 p.m.

A friend of mine grew up in small-town Texas and once told me the story of how the town elders were nervous about inviting "ethnic" food into their midst when a pizza restaurant was getting set up. In 1985.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/28/18 11:46 p.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

In reply to akylekoz :

To be fair, parts of Texas likely don't have running water or telephones, so a lack of pizza shops wouldn't wholly surprise me...

Seems more like a detroit thing if you ask me.

Texas has terrible pizza options and terrible Mexican food. Food options in general suck. I miss southern California where the pizza was kinda good.

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
1/29/18 11:04 a.m.
Gearheadotaku said:

Maybe I just haven't had the right one yet, but my experiences with "Detroit style" pizza have been underwhelming.  More that it's the worst of both worlds, than the best of both worlds.

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/29/18 11:24 a.m.

Austin has some great pizza.  Outside of the big towns though, it's a lot of Dominos and Papa Johns.

I think Sweet Tomato is closed now in Anderson's Mill, but that was a mighty fine pie.

Curtis
1/29/18 11:29 a.m.

Chicago pizza is NOT pizza.  It's a casserole.

New York makes Pizza.

[/discussion]

Curtis
1/29/18 11:31 a.m.

yupididit said:. I miss southern California where the pizza was kinda good.

Preach.  I miss a good Palermo's pie

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
1/29/18 11:45 a.m.

Chicago style is not 'casserole', it's 'pie'...Truly befitting the terms "pizza pie" and "a good pie".

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
1/29/18 12:00 p.m.
GTXVette said:

...But here the Mellow Mushroom is the best Pie.

I second that... and I see they've got a couple locations in Texas.

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
1/29/18 2:10 p.m.

Kinda Kool how one store in Sandy Springs grew to what it is Now, That's how Ya ( I ) Know It's Good.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/29/18 3:12 p.m.
MadScientistMatt said:
GTXVette said:

...But here the Mellow Mushroom is the best Pie.

I second that... and I see they've got a couple locations in Texas.

Hmm...there's one the next town over, but I've not yet tried it. Sounds like a good reason to make a trip there!

evildky
evildky SuperDork
1/29/18 3:56 p.m.
Joe Gearin said:

I've been in Florida for 16 years now.......and I haven't found a good pizza joint in this entire state.    Sure, we have a few "NY- Style" pizza joints, with the huge pieces that you have to flop over onto themselves to eat---- soggy crust, greasy.......  It's ok----- but Damn, do I miss a good Chicago (thin crust) pizza.   

A staple for my Gainesville Challenge visits has been Leonardo's. Right in the middle of campus/town. They sell by the slice, thick or thin, I'm a thick crust guy, It's pretty decent. Might not be on par with some of the destination places but decent pie in a dive bar setting. Avoid the bathroom, it's very rapey.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
1/29/18 3:58 p.m.
GTXVette said:

Kinda Kool how one store in Sandy Springs grew to what it is Now, That's how Ya ( I ) Know It's Good.

I suppose you could say the same about Papa John’s, and you’d still be wrong wink

Enyar
Enyar Dork
1/29/18 4:09 p.m.
OldGray320i said:

New York doesn't know snot about pizza.

Chicago.  Geno's, then Giordano's.

There was a place called Uno's in Dallas years ago, purported to be Chicago pizza.   Not that good. 

One of my favorite franchises was Round Table, out of SoCal.  Good for what it was.

Um, Uno's is a staple in Chicago. However, Lou Malnati's beats all the previously mentioned shops 

Enyar
Enyar Dork
1/29/18 4:09 p.m.
Joe Gearin said:

I grew up in Chicagoland.   Most folks associate Chicago with deep dish pizza, which is awesome if you want to bust a gut.   What 90% of Chicagoans eat on a regular basis is a thin,  crispy crust pizza, cut into square pieces, with lots of toppings.   The crust stays firm, and it's absolutely delicious.  There seems to be a pizza joint like this on every corner---- some better than others, but most are pretty darn good. 

I've been in Florida for 16 years now.......and I haven't found a good pizza joint in this entire state.    Sure, we have a few "NY- Style" pizza joints, with the huge pieces that you have to flop over onto themselves to eat---- soggy crust, greasy.......  It's ok----- but Damn, do I miss a good Chicago (thin crust) pizza.   

Maybe it's the water down here that won't allow for a good pizza.  I'm not sure, but in the Daytona area we are in a pizza wasteland.  Uno's isn't "Chicago style" pizza.....it's Unos.   It's kind of it's own animal.......and not that good.   Just because you begin your franchise in Chicago---- that doesn't make your pizza "Chicago Style", regardless of how you market it.  

If you're ever in St Pete/Clearwater you have to try Greggario's in Safety Harbor. Legendary.

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
1/29/18 5:27 p.m.
Enyar said:
OldGray320i said:

There was a place called Uno's in Dallas years ago, purported to be Chicago pizza.   Not that good. 

Um, Uno's is a staple in Chicago. 

Same basic name.  Same ownership.  Different deep dish.  There is a reason that the chain side of the business never opened any Chicagoland restaurants.  You have to go to the original Pizzeria Uno, birth place of Chicago-style, or Pizzeria Due to get the original recipe deep dish.  Think of the chain as an 'inspired by' type of creation, exclusively for people with no access to the real thing or frame of reference for its level of authenticity.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Oe6wVnRxrn8gsT7dhH8TH4jI2ZarzlOOXNzo9F4PAbUSkwxNtrqgFBUeaXRM54iG