1 2 3 4
akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
11/29/18 5:59 a.m.

I'm very disappointed to find this Zombie thread was not resurrected with news of a Pizza shop grand opening.

How ever I did get some Uno's while in the Dells over Thanksgiving, Sooo Delicious, they even made a decent GF crust for SWMBO.  

GR has some decent Pizza but that thick flaky buttery crust that can support a 1" thick pie is just amazing.  So sad that I passed through Chicago twice last week with no time to stop for some Gino's.

JBasham
JBasham HalfDork
11/29/18 11:20 a.m.

If I want a great pizza, I make one.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
11/29/18 12:57 p.m.

I was hoping to get ideas or see a complete horror story to stop dreaming of opening up a pizza shop. Locally we have several but my favorite place that made what I call a cracker crust similar to a New Haven-Style Pizza closed and nobody picked up the business.

scottdownsouth
scottdownsouth Reader
11/29/18 4:12 p.m.

I travel for work from time to time, with a guy who knows what a great pie is.

Rule #1 there must be a large guy with a dirty shirt and a gold chain on throwing a pie in the air .

So far it's been true. The only place we never found a good pizza at was Springfield Ohio. 

chandler
chandler PowerDork
11/29/18 9:37 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to Joe Gearin :

There's definitely something about either the water(possibly the fact it isn't hard & scaly?) or humidity down here that affects pizza crust. Even all the national chains suck worse than they do in IL. 

Interestingly, the best pizza I've found so far is a very thin crust one, but not at a pizza place. It's at  a place called Newk's, which is a deli/bistro type place. 

I really miss Monical's from IL, I'd love to get one opened down here on the coast!

When I go back to Kankakee I go to Boz for an Mozzarella Beef and Monical’s for a pepperoni pizza with salad dressing. Dang, now I’m hungry.

RustBeltSherpa
RustBeltSherpa New Reader
11/30/18 11:50 a.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

Pizza, Austin, vegan, Sicilian brussel sprouts, GF options...the answer is my daughter's pizza trailer, L'il Nonna's, at the Buzzmill coffee shop. May change your mind about vegan

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
11/30/18 12:04 p.m.
Robbie said:

Coincidentally, if you know someone who likes coffee and wants to open a business in Chicago, I want to find a partner. Totally serious.

I drink probably close to a gallon per day and live not-too-far from Chicago but, I don't have the cajones to drop a steady paycheck and take a risk when I'm the sole provider for my family. Wish I did.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
11/30/18 12:06 p.m.

I had the best pizza of my life recently from a place in Bartonville called Tyroni's.

Cooter
Cooter Dork
11/30/18 12:11 p.m.
akylekoz said:

I'm very disappointed to find this Zombie thread was not resurrected with news of a Pizza shop grand opening.

How ever I did get some Uno's while in the Dells over Thanksgiving, Sooo Delicious, they even made a decent GF crust for SWMBO.  

GR has some decent Pizza but that thick flaky buttery crust that can support a 1" thick pie is just amazing.  So sad that I passed through Chicago twice last week with no time to stop for some Gino's.

I just came here to applaud you for the first correct spelling of Gino's I have seen in the thead.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
11/30/18 12:42 p.m.
The_Jed said:
Robbie said:

Coincidentally, if you know someone who likes coffee and wants to open a business in Chicago, I want to find a partner. Totally serious.

I drink probably close to a gallon per day and live not-too-far from Chicago but, I don't have the cajones to drop a steady paycheck and take a risk when I'm the sole provider for my family. Wish I did.

I missed the part about the coffee on my first read of this, even with weak beer that's a lot of drinking.  How any one can keep a steady paycheck while drinking a gallon a day is impressive.

_
_ Reader
11/30/18 5:17 p.m.

“Pizza gate was real!”

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
d9RgfUrBqdmKXEeFfG6iqVuphTp3Z2VazticW1fWOLQJxbqQEdIdwv0NHoDNyx0P