1 2 3
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/10/18 1:15 p.m.

Photo by Tom Suddard

Ever wonder who sings the most about cars? The Beatles? Bruce Springsteen? Eminem? Ludacris (pictured)? According to a recent scientific study by Gold Eagle, the musician who sings about cars the most is Lil Wayne. In fact, after analyzing more than 100,000 songs, they note that their list was dominated by rap and hiphop artists. …

Read the rest of the story

RossD
RossD MegaDork
10/10/18 1:20 p.m.

Cake.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/10/18 1:21 p.m.

Can't link right here from work, but I'll give you my favorite "car songs": 

Hot Rod Lincoln, Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen

Hudson Commodore, Jason Isbell

Lincoln Park Pirates, Steve Goodman

Pickup Truck Song, Jerry Jeff Walker

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/10/18 1:21 p.m.

I don't know.  What about Richard Thompson.  A long line of automotive related songs and lyrics.

1952 Vincent black lightning

MGB-GT

You dream too much (lyric 'She's got a chassis like an XJ-S'

Actually, that's all I can think of right now, but I'm sure there's more.

failboat
failboat UberDork
10/10/18 1:22 p.m.

I would have guessed Fu Manchu would have been pretty high up on the list at least. 

.......aaaand there you have it. They arent even on lyrics.com therefore not included in the study. 

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
10/10/18 1:31 p.m.

Ric Ocasek.

Every song he sang had the Cars involved ;)

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/10/18 1:35 p.m.
failboat said:

I would have guessed Fu Manchu would have been pretty high up on the list at least. 

.......aaaand there you have it. They arent even on lyrics.com therefore not included in the study. 

failboat. steam: ratr0

Wait, what?

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/10/18 1:38 p.m.

Was Chris Rea big over here?  Remember this album cover with his Caterham on it?

Image result for chris rea album covers

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
10/10/18 1:46 p.m.

Wait.... how did the Beach Boys not get on that list? They've probably put out at least 88 car related songs next to Bruce Springsteen's 88 isolated references.

Kind of surprising that Punk rated the lowest car mentions, but has some of the coolest car-related album covers.

For favorite songs about cars, I'm going to nominate Johnny Cash's "One Piece at a Time".

Ram50Ron
Ram50Ron GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/10/18 1:46 p.m.

Sir Mix-A-Lot is a legitimate enthusiast and arguably one of the more creative rappers with his automotive references.

Most notably, he has a line about a turbo Vette and an entire song title  Carz with gratuitous V12 noises.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
10/10/18 1:58 p.m.

Rob Zombie/White Zombie

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
10/10/18 1:58 p.m.
MadScientistMatt said:

Wait.... how did the Beach Boys not get on that list? They've probably put out at least 88 car related songs next to Bruce Springsteen's 88 isolated references.

Kind of surprising that Punk rated the lowest car mentions, but has some of the coolest car-related album covers.

For favorite songs about cars, I'm going to nominate Johnny Cash's "One Piece at a Time".

Not that they're really legit punk these days, but Rise Against mentions cars or has car-related metaphors in a ton of songs.

Of course one of the best known car-related songs is the one in my signature......

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
10/10/18 2:00 p.m.
Ram50Ron said:

Sir Mix-A-Lot is a legitimate enthusiast and arguably one of the more creative rappers with his automotive references.

Most notably, he has a line about a turbo Vette and an entire song title  Carz with gratuitous V12 noises.

Most of the songs off "Mack Daddy" reference cars someplace:

Testarossa - duh

Swap Meet Louie - "76 Cutlass"

One Time's Got No Case "Keepin That Porsche in Fifth"

Mack Daddy "Four-door Rolls with the black exterior, Turbo Bentley, white interior"

Baby Got Back "Fonda Ain't Got a Motor in the back of her Honda"

Seattle Aint B**lsh*tting "Caddillac was the car I wanted And I got that seven-seven Coupe with the trues and straps"

Image result for sir mix a lot testarossa

LL Cool J Back Seat of My Jeep

Snoop drops car references all over the place

Ram50Ron
Ram50Ron GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/10/18 2:11 p.m.

In reply to irish44j :

Forgot about those. The turbo vette line just always stuck out to me.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
10/10/18 2:13 p.m.
Ram50Ron said:

In reply to irish44j :

Forgot about those. The turbo vette line just always stuck out to me.

"As I approach the end of my tach
My lyrical horse power blows to the max
Red line is reached to the peak of my speech"

I haven't listened to that song in a decade until now, and man, the lyrics are brilliant as relating to cars. Has to be the best straight-up car analogy song ever written. 

Though it makes me laugh when at the end he's like "two hundred thirty [horsepower] up on ya." Ah, back when 230hp was badass :)

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
10/10/18 2:18 p.m.

Also, 100% of country songs mention pickup trucks ;)

RossD
RossD MegaDork
10/10/18 2:23 p.m.

But Sir Mix a Lot's white Gemballa has no door handles!

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/10/18 2:26 p.m.
Ram50Ron said:

I came in here to say this, I was just at his show a few weeks ago!

buzzboy
buzzboy Reader
10/10/18 2:26 p.m.

From my best guess it's about driving around and smoking weed in classic cars. I could be wrong though, but I love this song nonetheless.

Spacegrass

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/10/18 2:34 p.m.

The Spinal Tappets. 100% about cars with very high Triumph content.

n8
n8 New Reader
10/10/18 2:35 p.m.

Prince wrote a song about a Little Red Corvette, but that had nothing to do with a car...

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/10/18 2:40 p.m.

Cake refers to cars a lot, as mentioned.

One other surprising band that makes a noticeable number of car references is Soul Coughing.

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
10/10/18 2:40 p.m.
Ram50Ron said:

This!!!!!!!

songs about cars:

Testarossa

Posse (on broadway) - talks about AMG and low profile tires + speakers

My Hoopty!

turbo vette (baby got back)

and there a few more B sides talking specific gearhead lingo too I just can't think of them right now

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
10/10/18 2:45 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson :

He had a few songs that got decent play.  His "Road to Hell" song being the most memorable. (great song by the way)   He also has a song about Daytona.....complete with engine noises towards the end. 

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
10/10/18 2:48 p.m.

No list is complete without a mention of "Snowman" Jerry Reed!  

Eastbound and Down...... Good Lord Mr. Ford...... etc. 

The only guy who could get away with calling Chet Atkins "son"!   

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TfvojNd7UfsGPs307ZiVfAVUQycnnROERG7D51DTiAmomRAuVP9jFpSnODenWEud