1 2 3
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
9/16/21 10:32 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

Working with you, I learn fun new facts every day.

This is still a standout contribution to my brain. Thanks!

keithedwards
keithedwards Reader
9/17/21 7:28 a.m.

This sounds like a good deal for the right person and location.

I happen to have been involved with the relocation of 2 agricultural pole barns, back in the '70s, thanks to the Highway Department.  A 2-story pole barn had to be moved a couple of hundred yards, and a newer, longer, pole barn had to be moved a couple hundred feet, in 3 separate pieces.

I also built myself a 30' X 60' pole barn, of similar design as this one (concrete floor poured and finished after the poles and roof were put up).

I am happy to say that all 3 barns are still standing.

Without knowing more, I would think it would be best to disassemble this pole barn, in order to relocate it (depending on how far it would be moved).

glueguy (Forum Supporter)
glueguy (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/17/21 1:34 p.m.

I see this as a $2000 Challenge prize.  I remember a meme floating around a couple of months ago "I bought my racer friend a get better card.  He's not sick, he just needs to get better."  I see this in the same theme.  It should be awarded to someone at the Challenge - "you should've spent more time in the shop" so we're giving you a shop.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/18/21 9:31 p.m.

What kinda Amish population do you have down there?

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
9/19/21 7:32 a.m.

To disassemble, you unscrew the metal and then pull down the trusses and then the rest of the poles and associated braces. Assuming 2-3 guys with the right tools could take this down in a day. You would want better knees than I have though.

Scissor scaffolding that drives around and a big off road forklift would make it a snap. I have been quoted $2000 to remove it and take it to the dump, but that includes smashing it with a bulldozer.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
9/19/21 7:41 a.m.
chandler said:

I made the same offer on my old garage and this guy came and took it in one shot. I do not have pics of the aftermath when it fell off his trailer 8 miles up the road.

That's why you always offer the tail light warranty. 

Good job, my man.  

GeddesB
GeddesB GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/19/21 3:30 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

Seems like Guiness BoWR should be there or something? 

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
9/22/21 6:26 a.m.

I guess I have no real takers on this offer? I think I will have it torn down. Sad to waste it, but I don't really want to deal with putting it out to the general public and deal with the liability and hassle of having strangers on my property taking it down.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/22/21 8:11 a.m.

In reply to Tim Suddard :

Reach out to The Firm and see if they could use an additional out building to house maintenance equipment, etc. If their response is we'd love it, but time/effort/transporting is a concern, toss them the idea of a mutual client delivering it to them in exchange for some seat time. 

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
9/22/21 12:17 p.m.

If this ends up just getting torn down, i may be interested in using some of it to make a extension to my yard shed.  Also i'd come lend a hand with its disassembly if i could get some parts. Metal siding?

TJL (Forum Supporter)
9/23/21 12:00 p.m.

Cant stop thinking about this lovely barn getting destroyed potentially. I may take the offer if its still available.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/23/21 12:49 p.m.
Tim Suddard said:

I guess I have no real takers on this offer? I think I will have it torn down. Sad to waste it, but I don't really want to deal with putting it out to the general public and deal with the liability and hassle of having strangers on my property taking it down.

I was hopeful, and put the word out. No responses. I like the suggestion offering it to the FIRM. 

Sadly, I could use it and have a place for it. No available funds to make it happen. 

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
9/23/21 1:13 p.m.
TJL (Forum Supporter) said:

Cant stop thinking about this lovely barn getting destroyed potentially. I may take the offer if its still available.

I'm in the same boat and live close by.  The metal would be simple to remove and I could use some for a lean-to and porch I am planning on my shop.

The trusses are the tricky part without a telehandler or crane. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/23/21 1:19 p.m.

In reply to Greg Voth :

I think a good redneck could make an attachment for an engine hoist and get them down.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
9/23/21 1:30 p.m.

In reply to Greg Voth :

When I built my garage, this was less than $500 to rent for a day, and that's including about $200 in delivery fees. If you want the pole barn, I would rent one of these and carry the trusses right over to your house with it (goes about 15 mph IIRC).

None

TJL (Forum Supporter)
9/23/21 2:05 p.m.

I sent you a PM Tim. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/23/21 2:20 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to Greg Voth :

I think a good GRMer could make an attachment for a Miata and get them down.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
9/23/21 4:30 p.m.

Tom - If this were a year ago I would have been all over this. With the new shop I don't really have a place to put it completed.  I could certainly use the metal and posts for a lean to and porch area however.  I was curious if you were going to salvage some of it for your place. 

BTW, Telehandlers are awesome.  I looked into it when deciding whether to try to put my shop up myself or not.  The rental and time I was going to have it made it cost prohibitive.   As it was the one the erection company had at my house was there for a couple weeks which according to the quotes I got cost them roughly $1500.  

TJL (Forum Supporter)
9/24/21 6:49 a.m.

I'd like to see about grabbing this. I even currently have the wifes approval.  Let me know. Thanks!

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/24/21 7:35 a.m.

In reply to Greg Voth :

Garage is looking sweet!  You got a thread anywhere with more pics?

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/24/21 7:48 a.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

So much want and so little property to do it.

Same.  In theory this could fit in my back yard. It would essentially be ALL of my back yard (my entire property lot is 100' x 40'). Almost 100% certain it would exceed Code coverage limits.

Plus... I'm about 1000 miles away.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
9/24/21 4:41 p.m.
Lof8 - Andy said:

In reply to Greg Voth :

Garage is looking sweet!  You got a thread anywhere with more pics?

Thanks man!  

I am not great at keeping up with builds and stuff but I have been making an attempt here.

Build thread

TJL (Forum Supporter)
9/24/21 8:04 p.m.

Ok, im ready to get the pole barn if its still available. My neighbor can use his semi and trailer to haul the trusses back. We have another neighbor with big equipment we can use. I have a sub compact tractor/loader with forks and my own tandem trailer with a 16' deck. Im in Deland. Thanks. Email me at tjl_16@hotmail.com if needed

TJL (Forum Supporter)
9/28/21 8:36 p.m.

Hey Tim, just seeing if this is still available. Thanks!

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
9/28/21 8:51 p.m.

It is, but Tim's traveling this week and next. I will make sure he has your email so he can follow up when he gets back.

Margie

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
biPa2XRqwdVdALXArUbx7J8xOr0vdiwsv6AsnJYCQ0d6TvCidL4Cs8iBDA2P1xTC