1 2
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/18/10 7:38 a.m.
Keith wrote: If you want to get an idea of what the cars are really selling for, look at "recently completed" eBay auctions. That'll show you how many cars are actually selling for the asking price. When the E39 M5 prices cratered, that was very telling. Sellers were asking $28k, buyers were paying $19k. Lots of auctions that never hit reserve.

In this case, I'm not sure if completed auctions on e-Bay are the best indicator of 911 values. A lot of buyers who have done their homework won't buy one without a pre-delivery inspection and e-Bay doesn't really lend itself to that. Most of the cars with reserves within the true market value range will remain unsold in an online auction.

E-Bay 911's tend to be either bottom of the barrel project cars, or purchased by someone who is taking a pretty big risk. An engine with two broken head studs can still sound pretty good, but it's also a very expensive fix for most people.

Poke around on the Pelican forum for a while to get a sense of values. Most of the cars for sale there tend to be very highly priced, but they are also generally better cars. Seeing how long the cars stay in the for sale section before they're sold will indicate who's asking a realistic price.

mpolans
mpolans New Reader
7/18/10 9:51 a.m.

Between RMS (minor) and catastrophic engine failures (major), I've stayed away from the 996s and Boxsters. Some might say that only a very small number of cars will be affected, but regardless, I can't play that kind of Russian Roulette...given the cost of replacing an engine, it's a game I can't afford to lose.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nijJ0cNlKmQun9JmAUgvTewDivFDpAZHTJRp4TDKFMPwjcGZXxWBf5PJvIiNmVut