1 2 3 4
Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
2/6/17 12:49 p.m.

No seriously why aren't we talking about the Lexus LS series? It's like a Japanese P71 as far as I can tell.

Anyone know anything other than you can put a turbo in the passenger seat space? (Yes I saw Challenge ride. No that isn't what made me write this thread. A RWD 4 door V8 for $15k used is)

Brokeback
Brokeback Reader
2/6/17 12:55 p.m.

There have been quite a few threads on these before. I bought a GS400 for SWMBO because the LS "is an old person car". Keep quiet so prices stay low on them!

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/lexus-ls400/98704/page1/ https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/learn-me-ls400/106632/page1/

There are more but linking from a phone is a pain.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
2/6/17 1:06 p.m.

Yeah, we've talked about them lots. I have two. I suggest the 98-00 for the VVT-i, more HP and better gas mileage.

NEALSMO
NEALSMO UltraDork
2/6/17 1:33 p.m.

Love them. Even though it's not my thing and it's impractical, I want one slammed to the ground with big wheels. Damn they look good!

The0retical
The0retical Dork
2/6/17 1:34 p.m.

AimGain makes an awesome looking VIP kit for them. I'd rock one with air for commuting. I think we talked about it in the "car you won't admit to your friends you love" or something like that thread.

For the money though I'd do a GS350 still V8 RWD just a midsize.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing Dork
2/6/17 1:42 p.m.

I believe the real question is, Why aren't we talking about an LS with an LS in it??? If I had the time and resources I would try it. And get a vanity plate that reads LS/LS.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/6/17 1:44 p.m.

I just assumed it would be too confusing to have two broad topics titled "LS".

The only other thing I can think to add is that I'm now waiting for "Yo,dawg. I heard you like LSes, so we put an LS in your LS..."

EDIT: Late with the joke. Again.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
2/6/17 2:05 p.m.

An LS with an LS? Nahhh. I will stick with the yoda V8

How have I missed this?

My concern is the trans. Anything to make it more responsive as opposed to 1968 Lincoln Continental?

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/6/17 2:07 p.m.

Cause we're weird and would rather have a Lincoln LS?

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/6/17 2:11 p.m.

Yea, skip the LSx in the LS. The 1UZ is pretty much the other default drift missile donor engine of choice.

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
2/6/17 2:12 p.m.

I hope these things have air bag suspension so you can, you know, actually drive them?

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
2/6/17 2:44 p.m.

For '00 only, it first year, this sedan was offered as the LS the LS1, or the LS2 depending on trim. The wagon was the LW1 or LW2.

A law suit from Lincoln spurred a name change the following year to L100, L200 or L300. The wagon was named the LW200 or LW300.
The sedan could not be called the LS100, LS200 or LS300 due to trademarks of Lexus.

STM317
STM317 Dork
2/6/17 2:47 p.m.
NEALSMO wrote: Love them. Even though it's not my thing and it's impractical, I want one slammed to the ground with big wheels. Damn they look good!

That just looks...right

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
2/6/17 3:39 p.m.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
2/6/17 3:47 p.m.

Off to craigslist!

Dammit.....

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
2/6/17 3:47 p.m.

I think it's more a spiritual successor to the W126 Mercedes, better than a Japanese Crown Vic.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/6/17 3:49 p.m.

Cheap, ridiculously good build quality, RWD v8. Starters are a PITA to R&R. I think the EL illuminated needles in the cluster tend to go out. I'm not really sure anything really goes wrong with them.

former520
former520 HalfDork
2/6/17 4:13 p.m.

Another former owner. Bought one for the Mrs while she was in school. Purchased at 186k ($1,500) and sold just shy of 270k ($2,250). Had to replace the clutch fan bearing, that required taking the front of the motor to the block, doing timing belt and everything else at same time. Other that the fragile vac lines typical on AZ cars, it was not hateful to work on and only had that failure along with a burst rubber brake line. This was an early model 90 or 91. Later ones had less vacuum lines.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
2/6/17 4:14 p.m.

Plenty of threads on them. They are like a dependable Mercedes.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Dork

They're cheap as hell, sound great with an exhaust, and reliable! DO IT. Too slow for me though

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork

I keep looking at mods and stuff. There seems to be very little in the way of adaptable tuners. Nothing seems available for the trans.

From everything I can tell is it (2008-14) is the basis for the IS-F engine (2UR-GSE).

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/6/17 4:18 p.m.
Flight Service wrote: I keep looking at mods and stuff. There seems to be very little in the way of adaptable tuners. Nothing seems available for the trans. From everything I can tell is it (2008-14) is the basis for the IS-F engine (2UR-GSE).

There's plenty adapters to match the 1uz to a 5sp or 6sp manual transmission. If you go on Lextreme, you'll see that you can boost the 1uz up to almost 6psi without a tune.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
2/6/17 4:19 p.m.

When we say "plenty of threads" are we talking about on the internet or here? Because OUR search only lands 5 forum results and Google only gives a few more.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
2/6/17 4:20 p.m.
yupididit wrote:
Flight Service wrote: I keep looking at mods and stuff. There seems to be very little in the way of adaptable tuners. Nothing seems available for the trans. From everything I can tell is it (2008-14) is the basis for the IS-F engine (2UR-GSE).
There's plenty adapters to match the 1uz to a 5sp or 6sp manual transmission. If you go on Lextreme, you'll see that you can boost the 1uz up to almost 6psi without a tune.

oh.....

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
2/6/17 4:26 p.m.

Love them. One of the very few cars I'd drive without modifying at all. (I'm an old guy----not at all a fan of the VIP / stance look)

If I had a long commute through nasty traffic---I'd already own one. I'd leave it at the stock ride-height so it would float over road imperfections, speed bumps, etc.

Toyota set out to build the best car in the world when these were introduced, and these really did turn the bomber luxury car market on it's ear. Just as the NSX was the first Supercar you could live with everyday, the first LS400 beat BMW and Mercedes at their own game--- and sent them scrambling back to the drawing board.

Some of them came with Nakamichi sound systems which were top-notch. One of my favorite all-time cloud machines----and capable of 145-150mph.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XJkn9V4MW9GHehq6zEPrCnerZ211Wp2H7BD2fpxnMMh6XGPYultYjqrxoZTTnOb9