1 2
Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
10/16/14 8:39 p.m.

Want a 76-80 H-Body coupe so badly

There following is small . . . But damnit, I want one. I need to sell some E36 M3.

GCooper
GCooper Reader
10/16/14 8:41 p.m.

Head injury?

Not my cup of tea, but definitely different looking

kanaric
kanaric Dork
10/16/14 8:44 p.m.

Get a t-body instead

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
10/16/14 8:50 p.m.

I'm with ya man...you gonna pass that thing or what...puff puff pass man

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
10/16/14 8:54 p.m.

It's different and hated by most. Sounds like the perfect car for me! Roundy-Round G-Body and S10 bits would make this thing a riot . . .

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
10/16/14 9:07 p.m.

Years and years ago I actually got to drive a Monza spider. Looked like this one

I thought it was pretty neat. Of course I was 16 and it didn't take much to impress me. Plus I have a thing for weird 70's cars so I'm with you. Small-ish, RWD, V8. The possibilities are endless...

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
10/16/14 9:09 p.m.
kanaric wrote: Get a t-body instead

Fixed.

Spitsix
Spitsix GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/16/14 9:19 p.m.

In reply to Strike_Zero:

Did the car look like the pic or did you look like the guy in the pic!

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
10/16/14 9:29 p.m.

My best friend in high school had an '80 Monza. It never broke down, but that was a dreadfully lame car in most respects, if memory serves. And it was bright orange. None of our mutual female friends ever asked for a ride home in his car. Plenty of them asked for rides home with me, and I drove a Plymouth Voyager, if that says anything......

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
10/16/14 9:31 p.m.
irish44j wrote: My best friend in high school had an '80 Monza. It never broke down, but that was a dreadfully lame car in most respects, if memory serves. And it was bright orange. None of our mutual female friends ever asked for a ride home in his car. Plenty of them asked for rides home with me, and I drove a Plymouth Voyager, if that says anything......

If this vans a rockin'....

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver UltraDork
10/17/14 7:35 a.m.

I learned to drive manual in my girlfriend's Monza, before I had my license.

My Mini sports Monza wheels, like these.

You should get an H-Body.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/17/14 7:39 a.m.
RealMiniDriver wrote:

I dated a girl in college with that same car, only in blue and with ski racks. I spotted the ski racks in the parking lot, found her, asked her out, went skiing all winter and then lost her number that spring. (I mean that literally...she graduated and I lost her home number and she never tracked me down. Oh well, the skiing was great.)

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/17/14 7:48 a.m.

That's one of my regular searches on Craigslist. Unfortunately around here they were all turned into drag cars and tubbed many years ago or are stupid expensive. The closest one to me now is $8000.

Make mine a 3.8 and 4 speed please.

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
10/17/14 7:54 a.m.

I would love to have a Monza. Especially kitted out with IMSA style body panels!

Every engine put in a Monza was a compromise as they were the platform that the GM rotary was supposed to be launched it in before it was killed. Spark plugs in V8 Monza's had to be changed through the wheel wells back before that became somewhat common - see SOHC Explorer, etc.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver UltraDork
10/17/14 9:30 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: That's one of my regular searches on Craigslist. Unfortunately around here they were all turned into drag cars and tubbed many years ago or are stupid expensive. The closest one to me now is $8000. Make mine a 3.8 and 4 speed please.

350, 4-speed, not tubbed.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
10/17/14 9:34 a.m.

Yes please.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
10/17/14 9:39 a.m.

Nostalgia is the only reason anyone would want a car from the 70's, but hey, I fully understand!

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
10/17/14 9:40 a.m.

In reply to RealMiniDriver:

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
10/17/14 9:43 a.m.
NGTD wrote: I would love to have a Monza. Especially kitted out with IMSA style body panels! Every engine put in a Monza was a compromise as they were the platform that the GM rotary was supposed to be launched it in before it was killed. Spark plugs in V8 Monza's had to be changed through the wheel wells back before that became somewhat common - see SOHC Explorer, etc.

A 13B-REW in a Monza might be interesting.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
10/17/14 9:59 a.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: Nostalgia is the only reason anyone would want a car from the 70's, but hey, I fully understand!

I have Zachary Syndrome: I think "Zachary" rike you do! (Spoken with Asian accent)

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
10/17/14 10:17 a.m.

Back when I was in college in the early '80's, that's what every parent sent their daughter to school in. I've driven a few, even a V8 version, and I was only meh about them. Basically they are a Vega with a different body. Heavy doors that drop about an inch or two when you open them, bad handling, terrible build quality, and everything that was GM at the time.

Of course they also look decent, and rarely broke down, so I assume that's why you saw so many of them in the parking lot. That and they were pretty inexpensive. These days it's almost impossible to find good ones, or any really, that still roam the earth under their own power. Of course I drove a TR-4 then, so what do I know.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
10/17/14 10:21 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2:

The 70's are hands down my favorite era of cars.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
10/17/14 10:28 a.m.

This one was for sale locally a while ago---- it was amazing!

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
10/17/14 11:20 a.m.

Monza Spider please.
The Buick version also used the Buick 231 V6 that takes mods pretty well. GNX engine in one would be killer.

JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer Reader
10/17/14 1:15 p.m.

Not gonna lie, I have always liked these especially with the flares.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
u6LB5PL5luRYe3IgX3LcrzBFoG218bHEvFCI0YKmOFjw6eEZC9FZ1RY8s8E0Pju5