1 2
Renomiata
Renomiata GRM+ Memberand None
4/6/22 9:28 p.m.

I autox-ed for 18 years, religiously, 15-25 events a year. I was addicted. But, then I started doing time trials, and my enthusiasm for Autox just waned. I track the same daily driver I autox-ed all those years, but it's just so much more rewarding (for me anyway) to put my racing budget towards the time trials than maybe two or three minutes of actual driving at our local, very short, autox courses. And, to be perfectly honest about it, at the age of 72 standing in the hot sun working a station for an hour plus just to be able to run for less than three minutes has completely lost its appeal.

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/6/22 11:13 p.m.
BEJAY1 said:

Tried a time attack last year for the first time and the adrenaline just wasn't the same for me.  Sure you had to hit your your braking points and turn ins but I always felt I could only drive at like 90% unless I wanted to be towed home or worse.  Keep coming back to autocross for that full experience, whether it's 8-10 runs a day or just 3.

p.s. anybody know when the CFR site will be back up, really want to connect with that #42 car driver!

but was it in 3rd gen maxima? ;)

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/6/22 11:20 p.m.

I autocrossed for years, in my maxima, integra, and WRX - with several SCCA clubs, BMWCCA, and a few others and did fairly well.  I had "the right tires" and played in mostly fairly fast classes. 

Then I started rallycrossing. I've been back to autocross a couple times here and there over the years, but now I find it to be pretty boring compared to rallycross. Rallycross is far more fun to watch (especially when course working), and typically you get a lot more seat time (last weekend we had a 60-70 second course and did 16 runs with around 40 entries, for instance).  

each to his own, though. Rallycross certainly requires (usually) a longer drive/tow, lots more cleaning, and is harder on the car. So I fully understand why people like autocross - it's usually closer to home and you don't need to hit the car wash on the way home. Just lost interest, personally.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NM00FpwNQXOTxB6qcsziAXQaNDeAyCQxfqg9jN0hzgk13OScISLLJB8y3KmyqL6g