1 2 3 4
RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/7/17 6:41 p.m.

Is it that bad that the crowd who loves biturbos won't touch them?

Admittedly, I haven't even looked at a wiki page about them, but they weren't bad looking, that I remember. 

Was it like the prowler where you're stuck with the factory drive train? Or have they maintained a stupidly high price on the used market? 

I'm just curious is all. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/7/17 6:47 p.m.

Every time I see one I think the same. Problem is I don't see many anymore. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/7/17 6:53 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

They're all MB underneath from what I remember, and the SRT-6 version was only offered with an automatic. I've never even sat in one, so I'm far from an expert, but they intrigued me too at one time. I haven't seen one yet that was both cheap and good enough to tempt me though. 

lnlogauge
lnlogauge Reader
11/7/17 6:54 p.m.

Price isn't a downfall. Some people think they are selling a Porsche when they list these. Others are more realistic.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/d/crossfire-chrysler/6357253636.html

They are heavy, not that powerful, and auto. There's plenty of better options that don't wear a Chrysler badge. That's a good thing.

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
11/7/17 6:58 p.m.

I spent some time on track with a Crossfire SRT6 and it was a great car.  It only had an auto, but it worked well.  I was also driving Vipers the same day and the Crossfire was a lot more enjoyable to drive.  It's basically a Mercedes SLK with different bodywork and suspension tuning.  In fact, a Chrysler engineer told me they beat the Mercedes around the Nurburgring with the Crossfire and it didn't sit well.  I think the lack of a manual puts off a lot of the sports car guys, but I'd have one.  If you can find them, they are pretty cheap these days.  I've not seen a SRT6 for sale though, just the standard models. 

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
11/7/17 7:04 p.m.

I was behind a somewhat tuned SRT6 on the dragon one morning. It was making some lovely sounds.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
11/7/17 7:04 p.m.

I have been searching them as Challenge contenders for a couple of years now. I just have to find the right one with the right problems. 

I tried getting one with C-pillar damage that totaled it out. 

To increase sales volume when they were new Chrysler offered a total stripper version that retailed for like $19,999.  These are easy to distinguish because they only came in black coupe, only in manual trans and only with cloth seats. 

Such a Bastard Car that it seems any more that both Chrysler and Mercedes just want to deny its existence. 

The shape was originally commented to look like a dog taking a crap.  

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
11/7/17 7:05 p.m.

I’ve worked on a few while at the dealership.... I’d rather walk then have one. While it’s a mb underneath, it’s a lesser quality mb with a dca badge in it, imo. Way too much funkiness to them.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
11/7/17 7:08 p.m.

I have seen one a month ago with a manual for sale. Should have realized it was a unicorn. Price wasn't to unreasonable.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
11/7/17 7:15 p.m.

Manual is not that rare in the base engine models. It seems that it is nearly impossible to sell off one with manual. They linger on CL forever. 

I figure that it's not that they don't sell because the asking price but rather the don't sell because just no one ever calls about them. I think they can be highly low balled if you really want to own one. This year before The Challenge, i highly resisted calling about a black manual version that was set up for track days.  Was asking about $5k

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/7/17 7:40 p.m.

They are like that fantastic girl you remember from highschool.  The memories are much better than today’s reality. I saw one the other day and was underwhelmed. 

I saw an XLR. The other day and had the same reaction. I wanted one so bad when they came out but now not so much. 

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
11/7/17 7:46 p.m.

The Cadillac XLR is the newer Allante. 

The Crossfire is the newer Chrysler TC by Maserati 

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/7/17 7:47 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

https://florencesc.craigslist.org/cto/d/2004-chrysler-crossfire-coupe/6338794160.html

$1500. But it's an autotragic. 

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
11/7/17 7:52 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

Just imagine, a flood car full of German electronics where Chrysler can't help you and MB won't help you! Probably a new level of hell devil​​​​​​

Just the dent in the door alone should make that a near $1,500 car.  That's more what I'd be looking for. 

Link in SC 

GCrites80s
GCrites80s New Reader
11/7/17 7:53 p.m.

I had one. We ended up breaking both guns fairly quickly and lost most of the ball bearings. Also the play surface warped easily. If someone really took the time to fab up a beefy one they could have hours of fun with their friends.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
11/7/17 7:56 p.m.

There is one local to me that shows up for sale once in awhile for @$6k that has an LS swap in it. I struggle with the price; how could it be done well for that price, or how could I go wrong for that price?

Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/7/17 8:04 p.m.
GCrites80s said:

I had one. We ended up breaking both guns fairly quickly and lost most of the ball bearings. Also the play surface warped easily. If someone really took the time to fab up a beefy one they could have hours of fun with their friends.

I see what you did there. I loved that game!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
11/7/17 8:24 p.m.
GCrites80s said:

10 words into your post I had the chant/song from the commercial in my head.  Thanks :)  

Personally I think the major downfall is that HHH overshadowed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCwn1NTK-50

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/7/17 8:37 p.m.

They really aren't that heavy.  Similar weight to a 350Z.  Really a very similar car to the 350z minus 50 hp.  I have a friend that is convinced it would dominate CAM due to suspension design.  The engine is pretty chooked up stock but MB parts bin can apparently wake them up.   They do look cool to my eyes.  The steering is draglinks which is sad for a sports car.  The rear is 5 link.   

I've seen them for $2500-3000 with minor body or interior damage.   It seems like they would be worth a play.  A local guy had huge success in one in GS autox for a while.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/7/17 8:47 p.m.

Given the quality of both MB & Chrysler electronics of the time, I picture a horror movie-like scenario where the car locks you inside while the radio blasts SRV's "Crossfire" chorus on an endless loop. 

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
11/7/17 9:32 p.m.
John Welsh said:

The Cadillac XLR is the newer Allante. 

The Crossfire is the newer Chrysler TC by Maserati 

You say this as though you think those are bad things...

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/7/17 9:50 p.m.

From what I understand, the steering is pretty numb.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
11/7/17 10:25 p.m.

I know a fellow who owns one, even he calls it a "hairdresser's car".

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
11/7/17 10:57 p.m.

My brother lives in Detroit, he's a retired Chrysler engineer.  I was visiting him one time back when those cars were new, and there were tons of them driving around.  My understanding was they were all employee lease cars, the company was making a sweet deal on them for employees since they were having a hard time selling them to the public.  Anyway, if you're thinking about one, Detroit (or possibly other cities that had Chrysler assembly plants at that time) may be a good place to look for one.

dxman92
dxman92 Reader
11/7/17 11:05 p.m.

I drove a 6 speed manual version when they first came out. Didn't drive bad but not alot of space in the interior..

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AaxHRimKZByFj5cFuzsBMW21rAU8MR9wLSRSn6itJ5zVxnwejLrJJj8Cj6ANc2fR