1 2 3
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/26/22 11:55 a.m.

powerful cars and dumb people have both been around a long time. The internet just makes it easier to see the mistakes.

The community needs to crack down on the dummies who are ruining it for every else. Spin tires where you aren't supposed to? You're not coming back to our event. Caused an accident? We're going to beat you within an inch of your life and say it was from the crash.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/26/22 1:39 p.m.
akylekoz said:

One other thought, my pushrod 5.0 had no top end but could easily break traction in a very controlled way.  My current 4.6 three valve, with moderate cams and a high rpm intake comes on much later.  So once tires break traction the revs come on quick and keep climbing, in less controllable fashion.  Harder to rip them loose but once they do, hold on.

Combine those two with a supercharged model or addition of and E36 M3 can happen real quick.  In the case of my buddys 900 hp GT500 it can happen up to three digit speeds.

Speaking of HP and my buddy, like a lot of people it is a dyno competition.  No intention of ever needing or properly using that kind of HP.  I'll admit that it is fun and kind of addicting.  If only he would let me take it to a track.  His is a GT500 with SVT and Track pack with optional 3:55 gears and nothing else.  This combo doesn't even show on a build sheet.

I imagine most dyno queens would be terrible on the track, with no attention ever being paid to braking or handling or more cooling than is needed for a few 20sec pulls...at least this car came with a track pack from the factory, but that was designed for how the car ran several hundred horsepower ago.

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
1/26/22 1:40 p.m.

When I had my Suzuki Katana 750, it was ALWAYS Mustang GT owners that wanted to race me.  ALWAYS.

It gave me quite a laugh to see them get smaller in my mirror while I drove off at half throttle.

logdog (Forum Supporter)
logdog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/26/22 2:20 p.m.

As the owner of one of the most powerful Mustangs ever made its obvious most people can't handle the raw performance these cars bring to the table.  If I ever sell it I will require the buyer to have a SCCA or NASA competition license. 

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/26/22 3:34 p.m.
logdog (Forum Supporter) said:

As the owner of one of the most powerful Mustangs ever made its obvious most people can't handle the raw performance these cars bring to the table.  If I ever sell it I will require the buyer to have a SCCA or NASA competition license. 

LOL!  You got me. 

johndej
johndej Dork
1/26/22 3:38 p.m.

They all think they look like this guy (who's actually backing up in the scene).

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/26/22 3:56 p.m.
racerfink said:

When I had my Suzuki Katana 750, it was ALWAYS Mustang GT owners that wanted to race me.  ALWAYS.

It gave me quite a laugh to see them get smaller in my mirror while I drove off at half throttle.

It always gave me a laugh when the cafe racer crowd couldn't drop my Lotus 7 replica in the twisties. But on the straights, hardly any 4-wheeled vehicle had best challenge a bike.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/26/22 8:05 p.m.

I always find this line of logic interesting.  Someone should have X license or Y credentials to buy or own Z.....  I don't buy it.  Personal responsibility and knowledge is 100% the issue.  While your requirements should show knowledge, it in no way guarantees personal responsibility.  Personal responsibility can't be regulated or licensed.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/26/22 8:25 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

Irresponsible people believe they are smart and responsible all the time. If there isn't some entity there to say, "woah", we end up with people passing the motorcycle test on a 50cc scooter and immediately buying a 1000cc cruise missile and blasting into a guardrail at 150mph.

Oh, wait...

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/26/22 8:25 p.m.
Kreb (Forum Supporter) said:

It always gave me a laugh when the cafe racer crowd couldn't drop my Lotus 7 replica in the twisties. But on the straights, hardly any 4-wheeled vehicle had best challenge a bike.

Unless it's a Plaid.  Then it spanks every production bike out there. :)

logdog (Forum Supporter)
logdog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/26/22 8:42 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

I always find this line of logic interesting.  Someone should have X license or Y credentials to buy or own Z.....  I don't buy it.  Personal responsibility and knowledge is 100% the issue.  While your requirements should show knowledge, it in no way guarantees personal responsibility.  Personal responsibility can't be regulated or licensed.

I don't want the guilt that would come from letting someone without professional training behind the wheel of one of the most lethal weapons to roll out of Detroit.

Berck
Berck Reader
1/26/22 11:17 p.m.

In reply to logdog (Forum Supporter) :

I'm glad someone took the bait:)

Definitely gone now
Definitely gone now SuperDork
1/27/22 12:07 a.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

Careful. I once got railroaded for this EXACT topic. 

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
1/27/22 1:11 a.m.

In reply to Kreb (Forum Supporter) :

I argued with a friend of mine for two weeks about how a street car (like my Z-24) could out-corner his bike every day of the week because of tire contact patch size.  Finally, we went out to a twisty road, and he nearly ended up in a canal trying to keep up with me.  I learned that from this video.

https://youtu.be/3bKy99TIMa8

Chrissmith
Chrissmith New Reader
1/27/22 1:16 a.m.

it’s not just Mustangs - this is an issue with any high-power RWD car that’s cheap and plentiful. 

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
1/27/22 6:31 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:
akylekoz said:

One other thought, my pushrod 5.0 had no top end but could easily break traction in a very controlled way.  My current 4.6 three valve, with moderate cams and a high rpm intake comes on much later.  So once tires break traction the revs come on quick and keep climbing, in less controllable fashion.  Harder to rip them loose but once they do, hold on.

Combine those two with a supercharged model or addition of and E36 M3 can happen real quick.  In the case of my buddys 900 hp GT500 it can happen up to three digit speeds.

Speaking of HP and my buddy, like a lot of people it is a dyno competition.  No intention of ever needing or properly using that kind of HP.  I'll admit that it is fun and kind of addicting.  If only he would let me take it to a track.  His is a GT500 with SVT and Track pack with optional 3:55 gears and nothing else.  This combo doesn't even show on a build sheet.

I imagine most dyno queens would be terrible on the track, with no attention ever being paid to braking or handling or more cooling than is needed for a few 20sec pulls...at least this car came with a track pack from the factory, but that was designed for how the car ran several hundred horsepower ago.

True, this car had nearly 700 HP stock, trans and rear end coolers, massive brakes.  The problem is still that even on a track it would have way more hp than I have skill.  Not that it wouldn't be fun to try and use it.   Every time I drive it the feeling that it is trying to kill me takes some of the fun out of it.  Something about the supercharger wine and the skin peeling off of your face is just hard to stop.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/27/22 7:14 a.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:

Unless it's a Plaid.  Then it spanks every production bike out there. :)

Only up to 120mph or so.

johndej
johndej Dork
1/27/22 3:53 p.m.
11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
1/27/22 6:52 p.m.

In reply to johndej :

Well there’s your problem!  Thanks for the link, not saying it’s applicable to this particular case but I can tell you some local parents here (classmates of our kids) thought it was a great idea to buy 17-18 year olds brand new Mustang GTs as new drivers in high school.  At least two that I know of.  My kids thought it was a bad idea so not sure what the alleged adults thoughts were.  More money than common sense I guess. 

Tk8398
Tk8398 HalfDork
1/28/22 2:09 a.m.

It seems to happen with any rwd car https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuWJKc1-jfM

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/28/22 10:49 a.m.
Tk8398 said:

So...many...knuckleheads........

Tk8398
Tk8398 HalfDork
1/28/22 11:34 p.m.
Tk8398 said:

So...many...knuckleheads........

There are dozens of those compilations on YouTube too, I just searched for "side show crash" and there were plenty of results.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
1/29/22 6:41 a.m.
11GTCS said:

In reply to johndej :

Well there’s your problem!  Thanks for the link, not saying it’s applicable to this particular case but I can tell you some local parents here (classmates of our kids) thought it was a great idea to buy 17-18 year olds brand new Mustang GTs as new drivers in high school.  At least two that I know of.  My kids thought it was a bad idea so not sure what the alleged adults thoughts were.  More money than common sense I guess. 

My son recently told me his classmate has a $60k budget for his first car.   I hope he chooses something slow.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/29/22 10:11 a.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

That kid will be lucky to see 20 with out serious injury.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/29/22 11:00 a.m.
akylekoz said:

My son recently told me his classmate has a $60k budget for his first car.   I hope he chooses something slow.

Fricking Aaay.  

My dad wouldn't let me buy a $1500 '72 BMW 2002 when I was 16 years old using my money I earned.  

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CN9rysxOi2cTDsmEh6sS4q29TZLqV892SDaHWXFCOPreXIlqvDtUr1HSz7RE1ujb