1 2 3 4 5
yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
1/10/13 10:19 a.m.
Apexcarver wrote: The 3.8 is notorious for headgaskets not lasting (we had one.. 94 v6 auto, blown HG at 80k miles) V6 cars come with poor brakes, 7.5" rear end, plus an engine and trans that you won't enjoy. If you are going to full build, it might be ok and end up slightly lighter... but at more effort. Why supercharge the 3.8 when you can supercharge the 5.0? Kits for the 302 are cheap.

Rear would have to be changed.......I do not believe the Super Coupe's 3.8L S/C has the same head gasket issue the regular pile-o-berkeleys do.

Will wrote: Buying a good 5-speed Supercoupe might be cheaper, and to my mind, would be cooler. I know not all will agree, and that's fine.

The only good t-birds IMHO are 2 seaters......That never should have changed.

VG30_S12
VG30_S12 Reader
1/10/13 10:21 a.m.

Wow, didnt know what sn95 was, little google-fu rendered this

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sn95

I no get it, i liked the 99-04 stangs... Prior gen was ugly imo

Caleb
Caleb Reader
1/10/13 1:41 p.m.

The 94-95 base v6's are the only 3.8's to to really avoid there was a flaw with the block casting and the rear headbolts bottom out before providing accurate torque on the gasket

Will
Will SuperDork
1/10/13 8:02 p.m.
yamaha wrote: The only good t-birds IMHO are 2 seaters......That never should have changed.

Aww...there's room in my heart (and garage) for both.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
1/10/13 8:17 p.m.

In reply to VG30_S12:

SN95 = 1994 to 2004. 99 is a styling excessive on the same Fairmont-esque chassis.

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
1/10/13 8:32 p.m.
The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
1/10/13 8:36 p.m.
Enyar
Enyar Reader
1/11/13 8:42 a.m.
stanger_missle wrote: You guys aren't making any easier for me to get rid of my 1995 GT. It lives in the garage because I hardly ever drive it. I have a TON of parts including GT40 heads, Explorer intake, Trickflow Stage 1 cam, MM caster/camber plates and Tokico D-Spec shocks (couldn't afford Bilsteins), all still in the box! I have been through 3 exhaust systems. Flowmaster, MAC and now SLP (on the car now). Coupled with an offroad X-pipe, it sounds like impending doom approaching. I need to get off my ass and drive it

Hey that's my car!

Side note, do you have the door fillers for the side skirts? I can't really tell in that picture. Real saleen parts?

Enyar
Enyar Reader
1/11/13 8:44 a.m.
The_Jed wrote: In reply to stanger_missle: TFS stage 1? Idle and rev video or it didn't happen! I had one of those in a '91 LX. I LOVED that rumpity-rump!

Mine also has the TFS stage 1, I'll see if I can find a video. Sounds especially good with the supercharger whine.

Gasoline
Gasoline Dork
1/11/13 10:01 a.m.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
1/11/13 10:24 a.m.

I got married in a white V6 convertible SN95 rental in Las Vegas. Literally had the ceremony in the car while it was still running at a drive through wedding chapel. I sort of have a soft spot for them because of that and I occasionally troll CL for a clean white V6 of the 2000 vintage. It's getting very hard to find them in not beat to E36 M3 condition.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
1/11/13 10:28 a.m.

In reply to Will:

'57? I see portholes and the exhaust not exiting through the bumper. I drove a copper colored one at Mecum this last year....beautiful car.

For owning both, you get a solitary exemption

kb58
kb58 HalfDork
1/11/13 10:30 a.m.

I had both a Mustang 5.0 and Camaro Z28 back then (owned both from new.) Summed up:

Mustang: Dead-reliable, great engine, Terrible shifter feel, really Bad autocross handling.

Z28. Awesome engine, awesome transmission, great handling... and the single most unreliable car I ever owned, costing me ~$4000 in the first 5 years of ownership. Never again.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
1/11/13 10:45 a.m.

In reply to kb58:

Man, there are so many shifter options for these cars. I know they don't make the T-5 perfectly butter smooth to shift but they can make it a more enjoyable experience.

Also, I can't imaging it being a riot at an auto-x with one of these unless you've done something to stiffen the chassis and locate the rear axle better, at a minimum. Also, bump-steer from the factory is horrible.

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
1/11/13 11:10 a.m.

The witless dialog (The phone didn't pick up all of it for some odd reason.) :

"Behold, the Stincoln and it's curiously lopey idle."

Then I revved it a bit before realizing the mufflerless exhaust was pointing straight at my neighbor's house. They are a nice older couple and I try not to be "that" neighbor. Hence the "Oops...I forgot about the neighbors." comment.

Stincoln idle and rev.

I took it out for a short drive afterwards. That thing is a hoot!

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
1/11/13 11:12 a.m.

Some of the stuff chugging out of the exhaust was smoke but most of it was condensation/steam since the engine was still cold.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/11/13 11:18 a.m.

The problem with the Mustang is that there are too many other models and options to compare it against. A $2K Mustang is not going to be as good as a new Boss 302, duh.

Compare it to other options available for 2K, and the Mustang is an easy choice.

kb58
kb58 HalfDork
1/11/13 12:13 p.m.
pres589 wrote: In reply to kb58: Man, there are so many shifter options for these cars. I know they don't make the T-5 perfectly butter smooth to shift but they can make it a more enjoyable experience. Also, I can't imaging it being a riot at an auto-x with one of these unless you've done something to stiffen the chassis and locate the rear axle better, at a minimum. Also, bump-steer from the factory is horrible.

That was sort of my point, that at as-delivered, the Z28 was all the things that the Mustang wasn't... but it was terribly unreliable. So while the Mustang "can" be improved, an apples-to-apples comparison has to be of unmodified cars.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/11/13 3:39 p.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to Will: '57? I see portholes and the exhaust not exiting through the bumper. I drove a copper colored one at Mecum this last year....beautiful car. For owning both, you get a solitary exemption

you can also tell it's a '57 by the angled and pointed fins, versus the rounded vertical treatment of the '55 - '56.

The car above is a '56, the car below is a '55:

I think '55 may have been the only hear for through-bumper exhaust, but i'm not positive.

Caleb
Caleb Reader
1/11/13 10:03 p.m.

When a basic cobra simply isn't good enough

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/11/13 11:42 p.m.

In reply to Enyar:

Are you referring to the fender extensions? The piece behind the front wheels? Yeah, the kit is complete but it's not a genuine Saleen kit. Its an ABC Exclusive fiberglass kit. The previous owner put it on poorly. I also have a S351 wing that I took off. It was gaudy and blocked half of the rear window...

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
1/11/13 11:47 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair:

Oddly enough, I never noticed the fins......55was the only year for that style exhaust iirc, although I believe the continental kit cars have it exiting the corners of the bumpers. It always amazes me as to how much they changed things back then.

midniteson
midniteson New Reader
1/12/13 4:45 a.m.

Because Thirdgen F-body

chknhwk
chknhwk HalfDork
1/12/13 6:02 p.m.
Caleb wrote: When a basic cobra simply isn't good enough

My dream stable. I miss my '91 5.0 and '98 Cobra so I'm going to (hopefully) split the difference and build a '95 Cobra R.

As a previous Mustang owner my short list of absolutely necessary mods: full length subframe connectors, SS brake lines, MGW shifter, upgraded rear lower control arms (snap oversteer on these can bite you in the ass - hard, ask me how I know), drive and enjoy!

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltraDork
1/12/13 7:00 p.m.

A good friend of mine has a '98 GT 5-Speed. It has a 3.73 rear end, 2" lowered suspension, and pretty much stock everywhere else. Had an issue with the fuel pump, but replaced it with an aftermarket one and it was good after that.

The one and only time I drove it, I almost got out accelerated by a mid 90's Cutlass Supreme on a merge lane.

Almost..........

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aw1rSeaWI79dXCCMy9uAAZmKcVRjqMYNTvQz1rwrZGEQ40R04BuC6fns5GxidBJ8