Petrolburner
Petrolburner Reader
12/2/14 8:48 p.m.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jaguar-XK-XK8-1997-other-xk-8-/131364357195?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1e95ed044b&item=131364357195&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Buy it now $8 grand, 85k miles, V8, RWD. Why not? Fatal flaws? Plenty available as a convertible too.

Next generation is available for $20 grand.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jaguar-XK-Base-Convertible-2-Door-2007-jaguar-xk-convertible-loaded-leather-nav-/371203359991?forcerrptr=true&hash=item566d71c4f7&item=371203359991&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
12/2/14 8:55 p.m.

Well, the 2007 has a salvage title, so that's a reason to run away. If you buy one older than 2002, make sure the engine problems have been addressed. Other than that, do it!

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Reader
12/2/14 9:01 p.m.

In their day I always thought the earlier ones were the best looking thing on the road.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Reader
12/2/14 9:09 p.m.
BlueInGreen44 wrote: In their day I always thought the earlier ones were the best looking thing on the road.

They are stunning, damn near Aston Martin DB7 beautiful.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Reader
12/3/14 6:12 a.m.

if you do run into engine problems im pretty sure there are sbc/ls1 swap kits, ive always loved how these cars looked

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
12/3/14 8:03 a.m.

At least to me, even though they look good, they still look dated. They also probably didn't have a manual trans. That is all.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
12/3/14 8:18 a.m.

I'm not going to lie, I like them a lot. Especially the earlier generation.

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
12/3/14 9:34 a.m.

These cars are not particularly fun to drive but they are super classy, very comfortable and they look so good.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
12/3/14 10:18 a.m.

Just avoid the convertible. For some reason I must get offered one a month with a bad convertible top and a claim that it is only 500$ to fix it but 4K under low market pricing.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Reader
12/3/14 10:37 a.m.

Both generations I posted are automatic only. It seems they fit an odd niche, Sporty, but not a sports car. Great GT car if the reliability is there.

ScreaminE
ScreaminE HalfDork
12/3/14 10:42 a.m.

It's in Bridgeville (where I work and where I'm at right now). If you're serious about this one, I can stop in and look at it. Be advised that PA loves road salt, which spells rust. If you've never dealt with it before, it can be a huge culture shock.

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
12/3/14 10:43 a.m.

I've loved Jags since they first introduced the XKE. And I was lucky enough to own an early E-Type plus a Mark X.

When Ford bought the company out I got real concerned. I was worried they'd make the Jag. a competitor to or even a model of the Mercury. I couldn't have been more wrong! In terms of ease of ownership, read dependability, the Ford owned and after Ford owned models are so far superior, it's hard to believe they still look so great!

I'm also a three pedal guy. But we must consider the cost of smog testing & the low number of people who actually still use both hands as a part of driving. Many storied brands are finding it difficult to break even when selling stick shift cars in the US. "One hand for the wheel. One hand for the phone!"

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
12/3/14 10:56 a.m.

These are still very high on the list for becoming my next car. I'm not sure if I could live with an XK knowing that the XKR exists.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/3/14 11:00 a.m.

The early ones ('00 and earlier) have Niksal cylinder liner problems but if that hasn't turned up by now it is VERY unlikely it will. The pre '00s also have weak timing chain tensioners. They improved after that and IIRC they improved them again when they went to the current body style in '06. If you get a pre '00 model, I would planning on upgrading to later ones.

Also the transmission in the non R models is not the best but it is common and if it has been maintained should be fine. I believe this only applies to '02 and earlier cars with the ZF 5HP24 but you may want to check on that.

I would not pay $8k for pre 00 unless it was an R model or absolutely prefect.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Reader
12/3/14 11:01 a.m.
ScreaminE wrote: It's in Bridgeville (where I work and where I'm at right now). If you're serious about this one, I can stop in and look at it. Be advised that PA loves road salt, which spells rust. If you've never dealt with it before, it can be a huge culture shock.

I grew up in Wisconsin and I'm happy to be living in the rust free high desert of Oregon now. This is mostly just an exercise in day dreaming. My Corvette is a great GT car like the Jag but it has 6 gears, 3 pedals, and a lot more power/performance/track day ability. I actually found these Jaguars after looking at Aston Martin DB7 prices on eBay.

sanman
sanman HalfDork
12/3/14 4:50 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: The early ones ('00 and earlier) have Niksal cylinder liner problems but if that hasn't turned up by now it is VERY unlikely it will. The pre '00s also have weak timing chain tensioners. They improved after that and IIRC they improved them again when they went to the current body style in '06. If you get a pre '00 model, I would planning on upgrading to later ones. Also the transmission in the non R models is not the best but it is common and if it has been maintained should be fine. I believe this only applies to '02 and earlier cars with the ZF 5HP24 but you may want to check on that. I would not pay $8k for pre 00 unless it was an R model or absolutely prefect.

What he said... I am waiting for cheap 2001+ models and spare cash in the bank

SEADave
SEADave Reader
12/3/14 5:44 p.m.

Interesting cars, I remember the guy drove one in the movie "Memento." IMHO the coupe version looks awesome, and of course they are way harder to find than convertibles.

After a quick look on the local CL, it looks like the early ones can be had for under $5 grand, but there are still dealers asking $12-15k for the same model year cars. Every one I saw was convertible.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Vzy0WBZRH0dWyHrr5QwmwqNB4ItOURNJ5J94y0Ud1kmtuKTE7vKLqye9lmTlvU13