1 2 3 4 5 6
Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/28/15 11:48 a.m.
Klayfish wrote: There's a big difference between harshing on the car vs. harshing on the people who drive them.

Very true, although I think we often fail to make that distinction here. The "worst sounding car" thread a while back was an interesting manifestation of this, I believe. A few of the most frequently "hated on" examples were, IMHO, directly a result of the stigma associated with the owners: Harleys (Neanderthals decked out in pirate regalia and ass-less chaps), Honda 4 bangers (ricer stereotypes), Subie boxers (don't like my flat brim Monster hat, brah?), ect.

As I said before, the car is well designed and excellent at its intended purpose, so viewed purely as an assemblage of mechanical components I don't hate it. What I DO hate is its mission to suck any and all enjoyment and engagement out of the experience of driving and the asshats that typically drive them. It is the very antithesis of what I value in a car.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UberDork
9/28/15 12:30 p.m.

well said

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
9/28/15 12:32 p.m.
DrBoost wrote: My current commute is 2 miles each way. No matter how you slice it, that's a nightmarish commute for a car. In the TDI I'm getting low to mid 40s (closer to low 40s).

I honestly don't understand how this is possible.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
9/28/15 12:34 p.m.
SilverFleet wrote: Why don't I like the Prius? -About as attractive to look at as a microwave oven

What do you have against microwave ovens? I am quite fond of them as they sustained me on my first trip through college.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
9/28/15 12:38 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote:
DrBoost wrote: My current commute is 2 miles each way. No matter how you slice it, that's a nightmarish commute for a car. In the TDI I'm getting low to mid 40s (closer to low 40s).

You don't need a car, you need a golf cart, or a bicycle, or this...

Honestly I look at these things as one step up from a LSEV. I have a 8 mile commute that doesn't have a single spot above 45 mph. stop and go the whole way. This thing is perfect. I could take the high way for a whopping 12 mile commute.

So say I take a detour in the city and don't charge it at the charging stations at work, I am up to what? 30 mile round trip? Well within the capability of the glorified golf cart. I would probably even rig it to remove the doors and put a bag holder on the rear.

The Hoff
The Hoff UltraDork
9/28/15 1:01 p.m.

I'm currently parked behind a Prius with a bumper sticker-

"cool Prius"

-nobody
Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/28/15 1:47 p.m.
Flight Service wrote:
ProDarwin wrote:
You don't need a car, you need a golf cart, or a bicycle, or this... Honestly I look at these things as one step up from a LSEV. I have a 8 mile commute that doesn't have a single spot above 45 mph. stop and go the whole way. This thing is perfect. I could take the high way for a whopping 12 mile commute. So say I take a detour in the city and don't charge it at the charging stations at work, I am up to what? 30 mile round trip? Well within the capability of the glorified golf cart. I would probably even rig it to remove the doors and put a bag holder on the rear.

The US model is bigger, but they're neat. I saw one recently for something like $7000 with 6800 miles for a 2012 at a dealer.

It's hard to resist, since I also have a very short commute.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
9/28/15 5:23 p.m.

In reply to Mike:

Bigger? That looks like the one I sat in at the Mitsubishi dealership.

What did they change?

If we decide to go back to two cars and tell Metro to stuff it, that thing is on my short list.

kb58
kb58 Dork
9/28/15 8:22 p.m.
DrBoost wrote: I'm reading that Prius owners are averaging mileage in the low 40s? That's why I dislike the Prius. I have a 99 TDI with 275K miles on it I was averaging 54 MPG,...

Just wait until VW fixes their sw, then we'll see about your mileage...

kb58
kb58 Dork
9/28/15 8:29 p.m.
Klayfish wrote: Yes, the Prius has that video game fun of trying to stay in electric only mode. I used to play that game all the time with mine, often to the dismay of the driver behind me.

See, there it is, right there, the smiley face... you're The Guy we loathe. You know you're holding up traffic and do it anyway. No... wait, I'm wrong... Prius owners have no clue they're doing anything at all... you're excused.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/28/15 9:32 p.m.
Flight Service wrote: In reply to Mike: Bigger? That looks like the one I sat in at the Mitsubishi dealership. What did they change? If we decide to go back to two cars and tell Metro to stuff it, that thing is on my short list.

US Spec:

According to Wikipedia:

The U.S.-only version is enlarged, has redesigned front and rear bumpers, and includes more features than the Japanese and European versions in order to meet crash standards, government mandates, and the preferences of the U.S. consumers. The American version is 285 millimetres (11.2 in) longer than the Japanese version, 110 millimetres (4.3 in) wider, and slightly taller. It also has advanced airbags and the mandated tire-pressure monitoring system (TPMS), has an upgraded interior and features more accessories.

echoechoecho
echoechoecho New Reader
9/29/15 12:15 a.m.

you would think MPG gets better in 34 years. 1982 Sentra 58/43 mpg vs 2016 Prius 44/40 mpg https://www.youtube.com/embed/rrPzRkrMdVU

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
9/29/15 1:07 a.m.
echoechoecho wrote: you would think MPG gets better in 34 years. 1982 Sentra 58/43 mpg vs 2016 Prius 44/40 mpg https://www.youtube.com/embed/rrPzRkrMdVU

They have revised the testing process over the years, so these two examples aren't really comparable.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
9/29/15 5:43 a.m.
kb58 wrote:
DrBoost wrote: I'm reading that Prius owners are averaging mileage in the low 40s? That's why I dislike the Prius. I have a 99 TDI with 275K miles on it I was averaging 54 MPG,...
Just wait until VW fixes their sw, then we'll see about your mileage...

It's a '99. It wont be 'fixed'. It's before diesel-gate

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
9/29/15 5:46 a.m.
ProDarwin wrote:

I put about 13 gallons in the tank, and depending on if I take any trips on the highway that tank, I get around 550 miles to the tank, give or take.
Funny thing is, the first 550 mile tank I was blown away. I was used to getting 720-760 miles per tank.

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
9/29/15 6:05 a.m.
kb58 wrote:
Klayfish wrote: Yes, the Prius has that video game fun of trying to stay in electric only mode. I used to play that game all the time with mine, often to the dismay of the driver behind me.
See, there it is, right there, the smiley face... you're *The Guy* we loathe. You know you're holding up traffic and do it anyway. No... wait, I'm wrong... Prius owners have no clue they're doing anything at all... you're excused.

Actually no. A little more detail. If you've ever driven the Prius, you know it can't run on electric only power from a dead stop unless you're really light on the throttle. Nor can it run on electric only above something like 24mph. So you don't really play that game in regular suburban or highway driving. I would do it in rush hour bumper to bumper traffic. You know...you're at a dead stop, then traffic starts to roll at 10mph for a bit, then stops. Yeah, at that point I would try to stay in electric only power, and sometimes it would piss off the person behind me. Which would only make me want to do it more. Those people amuse me. Where the berkeley do they think they're going anyway? It's bumper to bumper.

Oh, BTW, a 2012 i-Miev can be had with <25k miles for $5500 or less. If it'd fit my lifestyle, I'd be all over it.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
9/29/15 7:22 a.m.
DrBoost wrote:
ProDarwin wrote:
I put about 13 gallons in the tank, and depending on if I take any trips on the highway that tank, I get around 550 miles to the tank, give or take. Funny thing is, the first 550 mile tank I was blown away. I was used to getting 720-760 miles per tank.

That's awesome... so you only need like 2 tanks of fuel per year?

STM317
STM317 New Reader
9/29/15 7:54 a.m.

The Prius has never been a good looking vehicle, but it's sold on it's beige appliance-ness and fuel economy. The next generation though may struggle because it's just a rolling mistake of automotive styling. It doesn't even look functionally aerodynamic. I don't care how good the fuel economy is, there's no way I'd spend new car money to drive this grotesque thing: http://www.autoblog.com/2015/09/28/will-next-toyota-prius-all-wheel-drive/#slide-3612317

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
9/29/15 8:53 a.m.
ProDarwin wrote:
DrBoost wrote:
ProDarwin wrote:
I put about 13 gallons in the tank, and depending on if I take any trips on the highway that tank, I get around 550 miles to the tank, give or take. Funny thing is, the first 550 mile tank I was blown away. I was used to getting 720-760 miles per tank.
That's awesome... so you only need like 2 tanks of fuel per year?

If I drive to and from work ONLY, my calculations show about 3.5 tanks per year; I drive home fir lunch every day, so 8 miles a day. Of course, I do drive other places now and again so my range changes. I dont think a tank has lasted for less than 5 or so weeks. It's nice. My wife and I drove 90 minutes last week to look at a car. The next morning I got in the car and.....THE NEEDLE HAD MOVED!! It was a shock haha

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
9/29/15 8:55 a.m.

Ah. So your mileage to work is probably still pretty low. Since its such a small usage its easily offset by other trips.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
9/29/15 9:54 a.m.
It's a Prius. Even though it's capable of going well over the posted speed limit, owners seem to feel that it's necessary to be at or under the limit, in the far left lane whenever possible.

Before i had my Prius, i definitely experienced the opposite. On i-35 here the Prius owners were always doing 85 commuting between the bit cities, and getting better mpg than the people going the speed limit.

Of course now that i own a Prius it is usually the fastest moving vehicle anywhere in sight of me.

when driven in town … don't think it gets quite that much when running along at 75 - 80 out on the highway

40ish.

whenry
whenry Reader
9/29/15 10:18 a.m.

This really needs to be the basis of a GRM story: make the Prius a desirable car. Take a late model and make all the mods necessary to make it handle, drive well and look cool. I figure short springs, blacked out with tinted windows and larger wheels/tires. Maybe see if you can play with the tech and make it faster????

Right now I have an arrangement with my significant other: if I bring home a Prius as a replacement vehicle, begin arrangements to have me place in assisted living because something is bad wrong with me and I am going downhill quickly.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
9/29/15 10:25 a.m.

Springs + rear swaybar + wheel/tire is all you'd need. But as this thread has demonstrated, its all opinion.

IMO a stock one drives better than any truck, most SUVs/crap with a really high CG, and a lot of the other crap people on this form seem to like such as P71s, Thunderbirds, 3800 powered GM barges, etc.

kb58
kb58 Dork
9/29/15 10:28 a.m.

I'll play... two routes to giving a Prius a soul:

1a. Install a FWD drivetrain in the back.

1b. Install a sportbike engine in the back.

2.Leave it electric and heavily modify things to double the power, moving the needle off the zero peg of Awesomeness.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
9/29/15 10:32 a.m.

Going the opposite direction:

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RA9rEt28BLziWeOg17NfO5sOOQQWg1YFKdLE72YF9DLv5ApXftT3ltIOqyzYBgzY