1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/10/21 11:44 a.m.

What did I say to my wife yesterday? We need less stuff in our house.

What did I do today? Bought another camera. 

Read the rest of the story

jerel77494
jerel77494 New Reader
11/10/21 12:31 p.m.

I'd love to try an Eagle Talon TSI.  Turbocharged, 5 speed, all wheel drive.  They were the scourge of the IMSA Radial Sedan series.  They were forced to run lower boost and narrower tires.  Not even 1st gen M3's could keep up!

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
11/10/21 1:04 p.m.

Since you touched on it; the picture below is from a glass plate negative, taken by my Great Grandfather, Clatonia Doritcos, he was the town photographer in Newton NJ. The young lady on the left is his daughter (my Grandmother) Josephine Dorticos. We have no idea who the guy is.  Digital is not film...............I total get why you'd want to get back into it.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/10/21 1:07 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

There is a GTX for sale on the interwebs right now that even includes a handful of spare transmissions...

You're well aware of my feelings with regards to 90s Mazda hatches, I'll take the more mundane BG chassis 323, swap in a BP, add a BP26 manifold and mild boost. Now if only I was still able to get some of those Jim Pierce front controll arms and subframes...

Id still love a structurally and mechanically sound NX2000 or Volvo 240, but I'd need to clear the deck of other projects first. We'll likely be onto reminiscing about post Y2K cars by the time that happens. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
11/10/21 1:09 p.m.

So on the topics of wants; the 356 is now out, I've pretty much given up on 911s as well. As I've posted elsewhere I may go with a 914 or 912E.

In the meantime I consoled myself with a one of Mongoose's new retro BMX bikes, because at $450 how could I say no.

As for cars I'm thinking a late 80s or early 90s car may be the way to go for cheapskates like me. There is still stuff available for 10K-ish.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
11/10/21 3:14 p.m.

I'm still pretty young, so it's hard to say which cars from my youth I want the most, but I can reflect on shooting with film. 

A month or two ago I took the plunge into film photography and bought a Pentax K1000. Probably one of the best decisions I've made in a while.

Took a family vacation to Los Angeles a few weeks ago, and although I have plenty of digital pics on my phone, having physical photographs to show my kid when she gets older is something special.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
11/10/21 4:56 p.m.

I love film.  Even black and white.   

My dad stated they visited the graveyards every Sunday after Catholic Mass.  So much they took pics.  Figure in the 1940's?

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/10/21 5:15 p.m.

No nostalgia for film here -- glad to be rid of it.

I do love my FD though!  They were new right when I graduated from college and started shopping for my first car, but I couldn't afford one and thought 2-seaters were "too impractical" at that point anyway.

Why do we buy them?  Pop up headlights is part of it. :)

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/10/21 5:21 p.m.

My son shoots with a Red. I have no capability to relate to a $60,000 camera. 

But he also shoots with an old school Polaroid. 

He can edit audio on the highest end equipment, but still spins vinyl. 

Isn't this a great time we are living in??

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/10/21 5:42 p.m.

I just want Godzilla. Is that too much to ask?

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
11/10/21 5:49 p.m.

All the cars I'd like to buy now are WAY too expensive, like a Mk4 Supra Turbo 6MT, or an NSX, or a 928 GTS MT, etc, etc...

zendog
zendog New Reader
11/10/21 6:50 p.m.

In 1995, I had the chance to buy a 71 Challenger RT ragtop. All original, B1 blue, no rust, 383 w/ pistol grip. I remember it being a PIA to shift! But I just bought my first house and couldn't swing another loan. Guy wanted 16.5k...

twentyover
twentyover GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/10/21 11:59 p.m.

Problem as I see it is that you need to take 10 shots to get a good one, and 100 to get a great one. That costs more than I'm willing to spend (Although I recently paid about $300 to repair my Minolta SRT102.)

The other downside is you don't know if you got the picture you wanted until a week later.

IMO this differs from vinyl or an old car, where the experience is immediate

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/11/21 12:25 a.m.
twentyover said:

The other downside is you don't know if you got the picture you wanted until a week later.

You can get the results faster if you do your own developing, but that's a whole 'nother hobby.

David S. Wallens
11/11/21 8:41 a.m.

Small update:

Like two weeks ago, I went to a photo gear swap meet hosted by the camera shop in Orlando. It was mostly older people selling to younger people--lots of film cameras plus some darkroom gear. Felt nostalgic to pick up some metal film developing reels. 

I was just looking, though. :)

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
11/11/21 12:14 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

I was just looking, though. :)

Yeah like the same way our dogs are looking when we are cooking.

Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter)
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/12/21 5:45 a.m.
Nicole Suddard
Nicole Suddard GRM+ Memberand Marketing Coordinator
11/12/21 8:57 a.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

although I have plenty of digital pics on my phone, having physical photographs to show my kid when she gets older is something special.

You're doing a great thing there. I've always loved looking through my parents' bins and albums full of physical family photos with them.

Heck, even though I haven't used a film camera since high school, I still send my favorite digital photos off for printing from time to time and put them in an album I got at Goodwill. Flipping through that album and passing it around at a gathering just makes reliving the good times easier than trying to pick through photos on a phone.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/12/21 9:07 a.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) :

That's the sauce, and it has a much stronger transmission and center differential. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/12/21 12:47 p.m.

My dad passed a coupe years ago and I now have close to 14,000 slides to go through.  They go back to the late 40s.  It is a complete family history and a history of my dad. His last roll of slide film was shot about 6 months before he passed.  He kept perfect records. Each slide has the date and who/where it was taken.  I am now digitizing them and getting prints made of some for the rest of the family.   We are so lucky he did this and did it with a non digital medium.  

David S. Wallens
11/12/21 12:53 p.m.
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) said:

Ahem:

https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=286332955&damageUnrepaired=ALSO_DAMAGE_UNREPAIRED&isSearchRequest=true&makeModelVariant1.makeId=16800&makeModelVariant1.modelId=5&pageNumber=1&scopeId=C&sfmr=false&sortOption.sortBy=searchNetGrossPrice&sortOption.sortOrder=DESCENDING&fnai=prev&searchId=4dbc4915-08d6-abfc-2a98-0cfdea4d8062

Not the first 323 GTX that someone has sent my way after reading that column. Honestly, I don't have the hots for one as much as I did back then. We'll see what the future brings. 

GiuliaSuperMan
GiuliaSuperMan
2/20/22 1:37 p.m.

Hey David:

Cars and cameras, oh my.  I've had some very cool cars way back in time - first new car was a '66 GT 350, bought in November '66 and got an incredible deal.  I've had three Lotus, fifteen Alfas, the list goes on.  There are several cars I wish I had back - especially the GT 350 I rallied and the Lotus 11 I raced, but these days I find the old cars I'd like to have were ones I completely ignored back then.  Two examples - Volvo 123 GT and Studebaker Lark Wagonaire.  The Volvo is so understated that it's cool, and the Stude has a roof that rolls forward - how cool is that!  I do still lust after a Lotus Elan +2 that I saw at the factory when I picked up my '68 Europa.  I've never owned a VW, but I think a Squareback would be really fun to have - a mini-Nomad.  Dreams.

Cameras - I started shooting professionally with a Pentax Spotmatic.  I upgraded to a Canon F1 when I realized that Canon supported its shooters at F1 races with loaner lenses.  That was all it took to get me to upgrade, although I kept the Takumar 400 mm lens to use with my F1.  I grew further into film photography when I bought a Bronica, then another one.  Actually won awards with my medium format photos.  Then I got hired to drive and write about other people's really cool cars, and I had to go digital - still with Canon, a 5D MK II.  My film cameras just sat and sat until one of the most respected used camera dealers came up to a hotel near me and bought all my film cameras and lenses except one - my Rolleiflex.  I think I need to get some medium format film, clean that camera, and shoot with it again.  The 5D is a great camera and it does the job I need it to do, but I don't feel like I'm creating with it.  But the Rolleiflex - that's a real camera, just like the Volvo, Studebaker, and Elan +2 are real cars.

Ciao, my Friend.

Mike Hemsley

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
2/20/22 4:44 p.m.

I think for me it's the analog aspect since today's cars are so bogged down with safety stuff and electronic features. As crazy as it seems, I miss the Geo Metro hatch I had with no power steering and a 1 liter 3 cylinder. Thing weighed 1800 lbs soaking weight. 

Probably 15 years ago at this point but I had a chance to buy a 84 MR2 for $1500 bucks. I ultimately passed on it. Doh.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/20/22 5:29 p.m.
jerel77494 said:

I'd love to try an Eagle Talon TSI.  Turbocharged, 5 speed, all wheel drive.  They were the scourge of the IMSA Radial Sedan series.  They were forced to run lower boost and narrower tires.  Not even 1st gen M3's could keep up!

They're a lot of fun. I'd own another one. 

te72
te72 Reader
2/20/22 10:00 p.m.

This decision was pretty easy for me, I got into 15-20 year old cars 15-20 years ago, and never looked back. Between the NB and Mk4, could have pretty much enjoyed them for free at this point, stupid market making those things expensive now.

I'm only griping because I wouldn't mind a little variety, but I'm in the same boat as a fan of 80's / 90's Japanese cars, pretty much all of it is overpriced now. My first Supra cost me $1000... and was CLEAN. That same car would be $5k minimum now.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cCDjVzf1YqkXpY40y3DACcOQ3Xr11lz5RotBSSt1tafKjrqGGB33GkFz1jLmeR6p