1 2 3 4 5 6
DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
9/6/11 7:47 a.m.

I suppose I just don't get it. I'd take a magnum anyday. Get a freaking trailer for the few times you are carrying a leaky, nasty or tall item. Someone said, as a response to why is a UTE better than an F-150, car frame, brakes, steering and so on. That's why I don't want it. See, a truck is made for hauling things, a sports or muscle car is made for hauling a$$. Yes a truck can haul a$$, look at the Lightning and SRT10 trucks. But, they compromised hauling and towing capability (the Dodge less-so) in order to achieve that. If you never carry anything more than a station wagon can carry and can stand being seen in one of those monstrosities, then have at it. I guess it just saves the attractive cars for the rest of us.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
9/6/11 7:47 a.m.

check out the handling on track here, Donington Park in the wet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7i0pgLo9kg

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
9/6/11 8:58 a.m.

Is that stock? Anything can be made to handle. I'm talking stock vehicles. And honestly, even if they handled like a Lotus, I'd pass. They are soo fugly it's hard to look at them.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
9/6/11 9:31 a.m.

IMHO most of the models of Ranchero and Elky are better looking then a Magnum.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/6/11 9:33 a.m.

Clearly we're wasting our breath here. There's a niche for everything. If a ute was brought in and didn't sell enough to justify its existence, it would be because people can't get around their perception that it's too carlike to be useful as a truck. The point is, it's about perception, not reality. There are hundreds of thusands of people who'd be better off with one of these than with a full-size pickup. Problem is, perception sometimes rules the roost.

Taiden
Taiden Dork
9/6/11 9:56 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote: check out the handling on track here, Donington Park in the wet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7i0pgLo9kg

If you can hang with a seven in the corners I say it handles good enough for me for the street.

But to be fair I have no idea how good the seven driver is.

WhiteLX
WhiteLX New Reader
9/6/11 11:30 a.m.

Ford Sierra P100

Taiden
Taiden Dork
9/6/11 11:51 a.m.

Is that a... oh my.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/6/11 11:56 a.m.

cossie sierra p100? I bet those are old enough now..

WhiteLX
WhiteLX New Reader
9/6/11 12:03 p.m.

The cosworth P100s are a conversion, they never came with the YB engine from the factory. It's an easy conversion though.

I wonder how difficult it would be to bring the bed and the rear portion of the cab into the US. I imagine with enough ingenuity one could fabricate the rear frame portion on a hacked up XR4Ti chassis.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/6/11 12:04 p.m.

but the sierra p100 is avaible?

WhiteLX
WhiteLX New Reader
9/6/11 12:06 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine:

yes, it is a real vehicle.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/6/11 12:23 p.m.

I have to say that Subaru legacy wagons seem like a real good candidate for a truck conversion. They're AWD, are long enough to support a useful bed, and decent used examples can be found for around a grand. This could be a real fun project for little cash outlay.

Taiden
Taiden Dork
9/6/11 1:13 p.m.
kreb wrote: I have to say that Subaru legacy wagons seem like a real good candidate for a truck conversion. They're AWD, are long enough to support a useful bed, and decent used examples can be found for around a grand. This could be a real fun project for little cash outlay.

Because of this thread I have been eyeing them in parking lots. The big question is...

dual range loyale?

first gen legacy

second gen legacy

Taiden
Taiden Dork
9/6/11 1:42 p.m.

Here's a hilarious photochop i threw together. I wish I had a photo more from the side so you could see the proportions of cab to bed. Also I think I made the cab too short, I dont think the seats have enough room to slide back. Anyway, for some laughs:

Schmidlap
Schmidlap HalfDork
9/6/11 2:11 p.m.

Thanks for the all the reasons why a ute is more desirable than a wagon. I guess Dr. Boost and I are in the minority because I'd still go with the Magnum and a trailer. I often carry more than 1 passenger, don't regularly haul dirtbikes and have space to store a trailer, so I think that may be a lot of what's changing my opinion. To each his own, I guess.

Thanks for all the replies though,
Bob

WhiteLX
WhiteLX New Reader
9/6/11 3:06 p.m.

I have no place to store a trailer, even a small one.

Taiden
Taiden Dork
9/6/11 3:22 p.m.

Post up pictures of cars that you think would go well as a Ute... I need ideas.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
9/6/11 3:22 p.m.
Schmidlap wrote: Thanks for the all the reasons why a ute is more desirable than a wagon. I guess Dr. Boost and I are in the minority because I'd still go with the Magnum and a trailer. I often carry more than 1 passenger, don't regularly haul dirtbikes and have space to store a trailer, so I think that may be a lot of what's changing my opinion. To each his own, I guess. Thanks for all the replies though, Bob

I am in the exact opposite situation. Plus I wanted something that could do autocrossing until my Spitfire is done so a ute is perfect for me.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
9/6/11 3:23 p.m.
Taiden wrote: Post up pictures of cars that you think would go well as a Ute... I need ideas.

As a diesel.

Grizz
Grizz Reader
9/6/11 3:26 p.m.
Taiden wrote: Post up pictures of cars that you think would go well as a Ute... I need ideas.

For Boost and Bob

WhiteLX
WhiteLX New Reader
9/6/11 3:31 p.m.

In reply to Taiden:

The Fox body wagons... Ford Fairmont (78-83), Mercury Zephyr (78-83), Ford LTD (83-86), Mercury Cougar (80-82), Mercury Marquis (83-86), Ford Granada (80-82)

They actually made a few called the Ford Durango, it was an aftermarket conversion built from a 2-door Fairmont Futura.

Could do a Fox Mustang

Grizz
Grizz Reader
9/6/11 3:38 p.m.

Why do I like that Fox so much?

Taiden
Taiden Dork
9/6/11 4:14 p.m.

This one is pretty funny

Taiden
Taiden Dork
9/6/11 4:15 p.m.