David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/19/20 8:15 a.m.
feature_image

In 2011, Subaru persuaded Isle of Man Time Trial organizers to allow a car around the famed course. Subaru’s driver would be Mark Higgins, a Manxman, and he’d pilot a U.S.-spec WRX featuring a beefed-up suspension. “And we made it incredibly loud,” adds Dominick Infante, Subaru’s director of corporate communications.

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
2/19/20 8:25 a.m.

Subaru bringing a car to the Isle of Man TT kind of feels like bringing a gun to a knife fight, but somehow not having an advantage over the people who brought knives.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/19/20 8:36 a.m.

I miss when every stage that Vatanen drove in the 1983 Manx Rally was available on YouTube.  Now the only in car you can find are SS3 and I think SS14.  SS3 was the famous one though.

Manx is a fun one to watch because the roads are so windy yet fast, and undulating enough that the teams ran tarmac tires with gravel suspension.  It's what we had before someone thought to put stadium trucks on road courses smiley

And then of course there were things like Patrick Snijers' drive in 1988.  

The clip starting at :52 gets me every time... threshold braking downhill from 100+ and then hooking the square left at the end.  Then hopping the car over the next hill like it was a BMX.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/19/20 11:30 a.m.

This thread needs more sidecars. 

stroker
stroker UltraDork
2/19/20 2:37 p.m.
Knurled. said:

I miss when every stage that Vatanen drove in the 1983 Manx Rally was available on YouTube.  Now the only in car you can find are SS3 and I think SS14.  SS3 was the famous one though.

Manx is a fun one to watch because the roads are so windy yet fast, and undulating enough that the teams ran tarmac tires with gravel suspension.  It's what we had before someone thought to put stadium trucks on road courses smiley

And then of course there were things like Patrick Snijers' drive in 1988.  

The clip starting at :52 gets me every time... threshold braking downhill from 100+ and then hooking the square left at the end.  Then hopping the car over the next hill like it was a BMX.

You mean that wasn't Clive Owen????  smiley

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
2/19/20 9:07 p.m.

Tt is my favorite motorsports event. Love this stuff. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/20/20 1:52 a.m.

Cars and the Isle of Man should not mix.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Fdr4vcKLZs4z6Y4Z8dWBhOBOL5y1WD7tNmZm8QvngOLYRkHJPZHGyAPDiieGYuOX