David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/27/20 7:50 a.m.
feature_image

“Hey,” someone in BMW’s marketing department might have said back in 2000 or so, “let’s promote our latest vehicles via Hollywood-quality car chase vignettes produced by some of the day’s top talent–and so what if they’re a bit shoot ’em up?” And that’s (maybe) how “The Hire” series came to be. 

And after that original eight-episode run during 2001-’02, the …

Read the rest of the story

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/27/20 8:42 a.m.

I've still got my DVD of the original series somewhere, they were giving them out at the auto-show that year.

Mike924
Mike924 HalfDork
1/27/20 9:30 a.m.

That was some of the best advertising ANY automotive group had ever done.  I watched every episode a number of times.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/27/20 9:52 a.m.

I remember waiting impatiently for each episode to come out. I also wrote in to get the DVD, I think it was free, you just had to ask for a copy.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/27/20 10:28 a.m.

Yup, I've still got mine. My favorite is Star because, well, Guy Ritchie + Madonna + E39 M5 + Clive Owen + Blur? No contest.

David S. Wallens
1/27/20 10:33 a.m.

Here's Star for the rest of the class:

aw614
aw614 Reader
1/27/20 10:34 a.m.

I remember getting the DVD when it came out, it was the first DVD I ever got and at the time, I still only had a VHS player so I couldn't watch until I got one. 

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/27/20 12:33 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Also my favorite, and part of me still wants an e39 M5 because of it.

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/27/20 12:47 p.m.

I love this video series so much, also I really love this word of the "word of the day" series you guys are doing now. 

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
1/27/20 1:24 p.m.

... and the final frame says, "BMW recommends you always wear your seatbelt."

Nice one, BMW.

Good thing I wasn't drinking coffee when I read that.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
1/27/20 1:40 p.m.
Mike924 said:

That was some of the best advertising ANY automotive group had ever done.  I watched every episode a number of times.

The Fallon ad agency in Minneapolis was behind the Hire series.  If I remember correctly, at the time they had a BMW installed at great expense in their office lobby, which was high up in a skyscraper downtown.  I still have my DVD as well.

David S. Wallens
1/27/20 3:20 p.m.
spacecadet said:

I love this video series so much, also I really love this word of the "word of the day" series you guys are doing now. 

It's not impossible, We just haven't figured out how to do it yet.

Thank you. And invite your friends!

David S. Wallens
1/27/20 5:52 p.m.

And tomorrow's is waiting in the admin. smiley

rico750sxi_2
rico750sxi_2 Reader
1/27/20 6:14 p.m.

The videos are amazing. I still tell my friends about them and make them watch them. 

cdowd
cdowd Dork
1/27/20 8:38 p.m.

That was awesome.  I just spent the last hour watching several.  I liked the powderkeg as i have a manual trans X5.

David S. Wallens
1/27/20 9:12 p.m.

In reply to rico750sxi_2 :

Thank you for doing your civic duty. 

jay8s
jay8s New Reader
1/29/20 11:13 p.m.

YES YES YES!!!! I love this series.  Every few months I re-watch Star. It just makes me happy. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YLXbsOVgrwgVCvUy2LuIE1RSEugEkbn4gzZmNWovsqfPMx8tbNSkGjumFkzlFJUT