BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/8/09 3:51 a.m.

"I was planning to take your newly acquired car home as a shakedown run but after looking it over I decided to take my van home instead"

I really should know better than to buy a cheap-ish Alfa, even if it's quite new. Nothing wrong with it that would stop me from driving it locally but I'm planning a 1500 mile road trip to Switzerland in a few weeks and it's been suggested that I might be better off taking another car.

Oh well, back on ebay it goes...

Jay
Jay Dork
10/8/09 4:01 a.m.

Ow. What was wrong with it?

BoxheadTim
10/8/09 4:13 a.m.

It has a duff thermostat, which I already knew about. That's the only proper fault and that will get fixed.

He thinks he also picked up some rattle from the inlet cam variator (bad) even though it's supposed to have had a new one + cambelt. Problem with that one is that it requires special tools to set up and fit and I have a suspicion that it's been DIYed as I've only got invoices for the parts but not for the fitting. Hence, probably, the rattle. I've asked him to see if he can check if it really had a new belt without dismantling half the engine...

Clutch doesn't slip but biting point is very high, almost above the pedal's rest position. Gearbox is also leaking a little oil, rear brakes don't seem to be too clever either. They work but you can hear rhythmic disk/pad contact when driving around slowly.

Nothing of this is unfixable but as I can't decide if I really like it I have trouble throwing another few hundred at it that I could throw at the Elise instead (to improve the Elise, not to fix it).

Luke
Luke Dork
10/8/09 4:55 a.m.

Oh well, take the Porsche instead .

What's the Alfa - GTV or a 156 or something?

BoxheadTim
10/8/09 5:02 a.m.

156 Sportwagon. We'd normally take the Porsche but my wife's suitcase won't fit in the back (don't ask...).

TJ
TJ HalfDork
10/8/09 8:22 a.m.

Words I wouldn't mind saying: Going to sell the Alfa to fund upgrades for the lotus, but in the meantime I'll drive the Porsche.

Sounds like a nice fleet you've got going there. An elise is about the only new car I car I could see replacing my miata. I think it is the only car not over 30 years old on my list.

81gtv6
81gtv6 GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/8/09 8:42 a.m.

That car is oh so pretty:

Even with the issues you are a lucky man.

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel New Reader
10/8/09 9:12 a.m.

Well, that'll fit right in at my local Chrysler dealer. It even looks like a 9/10ths scale Magnum.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cFi1R8YVgjBOOANAFeYfW0SxRFDlnV9mIIvlXf2VvnXrT0O5d6nwAJC4sQHX3Wxx