1 2 3
Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
9/11/21 1:19 p.m.

In reply to Jeff Shaffer :

You can always run air ducts to rotors as well. 

Jeff Shaffer
Jeff Shaffer New Reader
2/2/22 9:52 p.m.

Sorry this thread has been dead.I have had a busy few months. Sold my house in California and moved out to Northern Alabama. Dont worry the Renault came with me. Flat towed no problem 2000 miles to its new 20x50 shop on the new property. I have actually been getting work done on it and should be on track in a few weeks.

Jeff Shaffer
Jeff Shaffer New Reader
2/2/22 10:56 p.m.

I have a few original Alliance decals from the 80's original race series...needless to say not easy to get them on but the hood decal is a 20 footer.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
2/2/22 11:15 p.m.

Sweet, glad to see the project is moving forward.

Jeff Shaffer
Jeff Shaffer New Reader
2/10/22 10:18 p.m.

From a cold dirty barn in north Alabama the Renault is getting ready to get back on the track in march 

Jeff Shaffer
Jeff Shaffer New Reader
2/16/22 8:33 p.m.

Got her out of the barn and out for a rip on the property today.. she feels good after new axles, tie rods, ball joints and brakes. My homemade steering rack end bushings feel pretty good while I wait for the better stuff to arive from europe.

Jeff Shaffer
Jeff Shaffer New Reader
2/16/22 8:37 p.m.

I made up a skid plate the other day as well. The factory grill is out as it was holding on by hopes and dreams. It will stay safely stored untill I can repair it properly 

Jeff Shaffer
Jeff Shaffer New Reader
2/16/22 8:43 p.m.

And right now the plan is to RallyX the car  in Hunstville AL for the time beeing. With the possibility of some Rally Sprint events happening this year as well. And I honestly want to take her to RallyX nationals this year and hopfully not be dead last in Mod Front. If I could beat one person at nationals I would consider it a win for the old Renault

Jeff Shaffer
Jeff Shaffer New Reader
3/2/22 3:04 p.m.

In its final form for now. First rally coming up March 20th

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/2/22 4:10 p.m.

Brings back memories! My family had one of these when I was a kid, had a cool metallic black paint job with blue pinstripes around the windows, IIRC it was bought new or slightly used before I was born, being the next cheapest thing to a Yugo, but it did break down within sight of the dealership on the way home. It could get pretty sidewaystastic in the winter. It definitely had some build quality issues but reliability wasn't particularly bad overall from what I remember, but it didn't look good next to the totally trouble-free Tercel we also had that just lived forever on routine maintenance.

Jeff Shaffer
Jeff Shaffer New Reader
3/23/22 10:21 a.m.

So stoked the Renault finished its first race. The results do not reflect how much of a success it truly was. Didnt win but wasnt last. The car has sat since 1989 and headed to the track with a large list of unknowns but was able to finish all of its 8 runs.

It did have a rear wheel issue causing a major rear brake drag and lock up issue but I was determined to finish the event. Once the issue is resolved there will be a large amount of time made up each run and should be in the range of the front runners.

She has surprisingly good balance and light steering for a manual steer car. Cant wait for the next event.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
3/23/22 12:38 p.m.

In reply to Jeff Shaffer :

That's awesome; Vive Le Renault

Jeff Shaffer
Jeff Shaffer New Reader
4/12/22 10:21 p.m.

Ran again this weekend. Fresh rebuilt rear brakes and she was doing good. Getting faster.

Jeff Shaffer
Jeff Shaffer New Reader
9/17/22 8:44 a.m.

She still alive and kicking. Looking to do the Track Night in America at Nashville next month 

Jeff Shaffer
Jeff Shaffer New Reader
9/17/22 8:47 a.m.

Cooling system needed some help. So i came up with this

Jeff Shaffer
Jeff Shaffer New Reader
9/17/22 8:49 a.m.

Janky roof vent because... RALLY CAR 

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/17/22 10:17 a.m.

Fantastic!  I will tune in for more!