1 2 3 4
Catlas_Se7en
Catlas_Se7en New Reader
3/29/19 6:24 a.m.

For me, it's when I finally decide on a first car, get a ride, and the seller texts you that it sold when you were either on your way to get it, or the night before.

What's yours?

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/29/19 6:26 a.m.

Hitting things. 

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
3/29/19 6:28 a.m.

When you roll into the throttle, your 46re kicks down and suddenly you hear a loud bang and forward motion stops. That's a good one.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/29/19 6:29 a.m.

Stone chip in the windshield, directly in front of the driver's seat.

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
3/29/19 6:33 a.m.

Actually I think all of mine are auto trans related.

Slipping.

Grenading.

Smashing the limiter when it hangs in 2nd.

Not downshifting when you want it to so your 2v Mustang gets walked by a Sentra...

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
3/29/19 6:44 a.m.

Expecting to have brakes but having no brakes. The momentary panic that sets in is so bad. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/29/19 7:32 a.m.

The bad feeling of seeing Reds and Blues in your immediate rear view mirror. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/29/19 7:35 a.m.

Not having steering when expected. 

Nugi
Nugi Reader
3/29/19 7:36 a.m.

- Push on gas, car gets more sluggish/lugs unexpectedly. Usually occurs while pulling into fast traffic. Panic.

- grinding gears

- Switchgear breaking off in your hand on a 5 degree morning.

- any 'thunk' followed by loss of a balljoint or tie rod. 

- that unique vibration and lack of locomotion from stripped splines. 

dinger
dinger Reader
3/29/19 7:41 a.m.

The sound of a rod knock.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
3/29/19 7:45 a.m.

Vrrrrrrrrooooommmmm.....BANG!  THUNKA THUNKA THUNKA.  ...........silence............

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/29/19 7:47 a.m.

Going to where you left your car...and it's gone. Stolen.  That's the most sickening feeling.  Ever.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/29/19 7:48 a.m.

When I loan my car to someone else to help them out, a car that has run flawlessly for the past 4,393 days in a row, and they call me to say that it won't start and they can't get to the big job interview or surgery or whatever.  

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
3/29/19 7:53 a.m.

When you drop into the carousel and your steering wheel center point starts varying by +/- 30 degrees (cam bolts came loose on Shenandoah Circuit).

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
3/29/19 7:57 a.m.
ultraclyde said:

Vrrrrrrrrooooommmmm.....BANG!  THUNKA THUNKA THUNKA.  ...........silence............

Winner. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/29/19 8:11 a.m.
dinger said:

The sound of a rod knock.

...and desperately trying to diagnose the sound as a cracked flexplate or stuck lifter or anything besides a rod

NickD
NickD PowerDork
3/29/19 8:20 a.m.

That time the transmission let loose without warning in my Miata while I was 900 miles from home was pretty sickening. Started it up to drive it back from Deal's Gap Motorcycle Resort to Horse Cover Campground for the night and it had a rattle. Got driving and first the back end kicked out without warning and sent me into a back and forth whipsaw that nearly sent me into a rock wall, gathered it back up and then all of a sudden it sounded like someone chucked a fistful of gravel in the transmission, shifter popped out of gear and wouldn't go back in, and I was coasting down a hill. I thought I was going to throw up.

CJ
CJ GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/29/19 8:40 a.m.

Hitting glare ice and sliding slowly, inextricably, toward doom - in this case, a large, very solid object

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/29/19 8:49 a.m.

Car world? When I can't get a bolt loose and it is the only thing stopping me from doing an incredibly easy project, but the damn bolt/nut is seized.

While driving, spinning on ice in the real world. 

Anybody play hockey? One of the worst for me is when you're skating on freshly zambonied (i.e. wet) ice and the puck gets stuck in a puddle. So incredibly frustrating. 

morello159
morello159 New Reader
3/29/19 8:54 a.m.
dean1484 said:

Hitting things. 

... in someone else's Cayman R. 

Do not recommend. 

Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
3/29/19 8:57 a.m.

Getting 2 laps into a private track day and hearing BANG from the rear end and realizing you just grenaded your freshly built rear end 100 miles from home with no tow vehicle. That sucked pretty bad.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
3/29/19 9:10 a.m.

Realizing that funny noise varies with engine RPM and not vehicle speed.

When your socket doesn't hit the ground and it is the only one of that size you have.

When the bolt suddenly frees up...but turns a little TOO easily.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
3/29/19 9:15 a.m.
Fitzauto said:

Getting 2 laps into a private track day and hearing BANG from the rear end and realizing you just grenaded your freshly built rear end 100 miles from home with no tow vehicle. That sucked pretty bad.

I did that once. My buddy and I swapped a set of 3:73 gears into my Lincoln Mark VII. Fun times were had. Unfortunately we forgot the thread lock. A few ring gear bolts worked loose within a week and one managed to get sucked up into the pinion. A loud BANG and then clunking from the pumpkin that wouldn't go away. Had to rebuild the entire rear axle after that stupid mistake. I still have the bolts as a reminder to remember the details.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/29/19 9:26 a.m.

When ABS kicks in in the snow and instead of stopping your truck accelerates on the ice while the pedal tries to break your foot.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
3/29/19 9:46 a.m.

Sleeping while the other driver takes a leg of the roadtrip and waking up mid accident.  Thought I was gonna die that second.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
klwgQ7uqM4nTmonnRleDNpyDC4C8VPgfwtLFJYET1UszIReFTpy4X6rENkK58Xai