1 2
ArthurDent
ArthurDent New Reader
9/28/09 8:54 p.m.

I'd make damned sure all the bits are there - sourcing missing interior trim for something like will be expensive.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/28/09 8:57 p.m.

I'm with the majority on this one. It's one thing to buy a non-assembled car, it's another to spend $4500 on it. An unassembled car is worth pennies on the dollar compared to an assembled car, as there are too many things that you just won't know until you try to put the pieces together. IMHO, if the seller wants to get top dollar for his car, he should either a) part it out or b) put it together to sell it.

Disassembled cars don't scare me much, provided I'm the one who disassembled it

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Reader
9/28/09 9:08 p.m.

In reply to SVreX:

Very well put SVreX. I am not looking to recoup my investment,but rather more of B. I agree that the price is high like I said,but what I was saying is that I think,and many who are into old Mazda's would agree these cars even in parts are worth more than $1000. I don't buy cars as investments,but rather to have fun with them.

I have restored an RX-7 many years ago,and it was loads of fun,and I agree was way more expensive than I thought it would be especially now that it is in parts in my garage,and the shell went to the junkyard two years ago,but I did enjoy the time spent with the car.

The problem is if I want to buy a done car they are all in the $7-10k range,and that isn't in the budget. $4500,and blood sweat,and tears is in the budget,but is it a smart idea?

I appreciate all the input,and I hope I didn't come off as an ass,but I don't think the car is worth either $4500,or as little as $1000.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
9/28/09 9:36 p.m.

Great. You have a good opportunity to enjoy this.

For what it's worth, you are in an INCREDIBLY strong negotiating position, if you want to be.

Based on the consensus of the input here, he's simply NOT going to get what he is asking.

If you wait him out, you can save a lot. Lowballing will definitely win in this situation.

If you make him a CASH offer of $1500, I'd be shocked if he didn't take it. Show up with 15 crisp $100 bills, and no more. Fold them up (so he can see the $100) and tap them on the car as you inspect it.

When the time comes, count them out on the car. Tell him its a good offer for a car-in-a-box. Then be patient.

If he's smart, he'll whine a bit, then take it. There just aren't too many people out there these days with cash for a car-in-a-box. There seem to be plenty of guys right here on this board who would not go past $1000. He knows it, and your $1500 offer would be 50% over that.

If he's not smart, he'll tell you to go away. That's OK. Call him back once a week.

Eventually he'll sell. FWIW, when he calls you back you could actually talk him down to $1200. He'll be desperate by then.

But if winning at negotiating is not important to you, then close the deal for $4500, and make sure you have fun!

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Reader
9/29/09 5:41 a.m.

The only problem with that scenario SVreX is the car is in Atlanta,and I am in Boston. Makes my negotiation a bit tougher. You want to look at it for me?

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Reader
9/29/09 6:59 a.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: The only problem with that scenario SVreX is the car is in Atlanta,and I am in Boston. Makes my negotiation a bit tougher. You want to look at it for me?

Have you ever had to transport a car in boxes? Across town is a PITA. Across the country is insane. Add in another $1000 for shipping ($700 for a non-driveable car, $300 shipping boxes of stuff that wouldn't fit in the car or seller forgot to pack) before you settle on a price!

z31maniac
z31maniac Dork
9/29/09 7:51 a.m.

Everything about your scenario sounds like frustration/heartbreak waiting to happen.

After spending the time/money the last 6 months to Dona pretty extensive E30 build, I wish I'd just bought one that was already complete. As now I'm sick of looking at it.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
9/29/09 8:06 a.m.

An absolutely perfect RX2 in show condition with a TII engine that is sorted and premium suspension might be worth $7500, does your car have this?

You asked, we advised you, I suggest that you wait for a better deal, buying a car is an investment, you wouldn't pay 200K for a 100K house would you

If you have asked about a BMW I would have had a lot less to say but I have owned 1 x RX3, 1 x RX5, 1 x RX2 coupe, 1 x 2nd gen GTU and 11 x 1st gens, so I speak from experience with these cars.

NOHOME
NOHOME Reader
9/29/09 11:23 a.m.

A project in this state is formally referred to as "A Pig In a Poke". This means that you assume all risk when you buy it. That is why you should not overspend; it will allow you to recover from any unforseen events (there will be some)

Do some Due Diligence and find out what the car is worth when finished. Decide what quantity of $$$ it will take to finish this car. Now double that cause that is the truth.

Ask yourself how long you think it will take to get the car assembled. Now tripple that cause that s the truth.

I would go buy a running car that was restored three to five years ago. This would be an honest restoration that will be showing how well it was done and be sorted for the most part.

I am that guy who restores cars from piles of rust and then sells them for less than he has into them. I do this because I enjoy the building more than he finished car. If you decide this is your path in life, then so be it; it has its rewards. In my experience it takes a strong commitment to fiscal irresponsibility to restore cars.

Pete

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
9/29/09 11:23 a.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: The only problem with that scenario SVreX is the car is in Atlanta,and I am in Boston. Makes my negotiation a bit tougher. You want to look at it for me?

I can't do it, but there are dozens of GRMer's in ATL who would.

A $100 gift to a GRM friend could be a very wise investment.

What if they advised you against it? Would that stop you?

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
9/29/09 11:25 a.m.

Quoted for truth, and nominated for the magazine!

NOHOME wrote: In my experience it takes a strong commitment to fiscal irresponsibility to restore cars.
Travis_K
Travis_K HalfDork
9/29/09 12:31 p.m.

It sounds like a way overpriced parts car to me. If it was a car you already had one or more of, and parts were easily available, and it was around $1k, Id say it was a good idea. But, in this case, I think a finished one (or a still assembled but unrestored one) would be easier and cheaper.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Reader
9/29/09 3:31 p.m.
SVreX wrote:
I can't do it, but there are dozens of GRMer's in ATL who would. A $100 gift to a GRM friend could be a very wise investment. What if they advised you against it? Would that stop you?

Sure would,and to be honest all the input so far has really soured me on the idea of getting this car. Not because I don't like it,but the more I think about the price which I already thought was too high the more I realize the true cost of a project like this. I forgot how much I spent on restoring my RX-7 years ago,and that was with a car that had loads of parts available for it.

Chris

NOHOME
NOHOME Reader
9/29/09 3:37 p.m.

Our work here is done...

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Dork
9/29/09 3:54 p.m.

Buy your friends TR8 and sell one of the other 2 seaters. Then buy a BMW 2002. As the others have said, and I can vouch, moving a car in parts long distances is a beatch.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Dork
9/29/09 3:54 p.m.

Buy your friends TR8 and sell one of the other 2 seaters. Then buy a BMW 2002. As the others have said, and I can vouch, moving a car in parts long distances is a beatch. I did this twice, once to Alabama and once back home when i got laid off. I used a company truck and trailer and their gas and it was still a bear.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Reader
9/29/09 6:01 p.m.

I don't want a TR8. I have two cars that only seat two already,and another will not work. If anything I should sell the REPU, but I love it so much,and can't bear the thought of not having it. It is part of the family now after 7 years.

Travis_K
Travis_K HalfDork
9/29/09 9:47 p.m.

Just keep looking until you find something better. If you are looking to do your own resotration (as opposed to buying an already finshed car), try to stick with only relatively original cars that havent been messed with much. They are still around, a few years ago i saw a pretty stock looking (but had probably been sitting for many years) RX4 wagon in pick and pull.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/29/09 10:48 p.m.

As a manager of a repair shop, I can say one thing from experience: Give one man a car to disassemble, it will take him a week. Give it to another man to reassemble, it will take a month and never be right. I don't care how well he labeled bolts and wires, its a nightmare.

Ian F
Ian F HalfDork
9/30/09 8:58 a.m.

Hmm... I don't know much about RX-2's, but I think I agree with the majority here...

I would only buy a car in a box if it were a Spitfire or a Volvo 1800... two cars I know very well and can practically reassemble from memory... I'd be willing to pay slightly more than average for one of those (all assuming I actually had space to do this...), since time-wise, I'd actually have a slim chance of coming out ahead...

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
9/30/09 1:21 p.m.
curtis73 wrote: As a manager of a repair shop, I can say one thing from experience: Give one man a car to disassemble, it will take him a week. Give it to another man to reassemble, it will take a month and never be right. I don't care how well he labeled bolts and wires, its a nightmare.

Agreed.

The only way to improve the odds of failure is to increase the time to several years, fail to label at all (which most people do), then ship it across the country to a third party completely unfamiliar with the disassembly.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GB4PJ6msGKP3xMFk2RyNt07Eg4f9HEkjfp9T0IV41wMOTaIBfNLRxDCGoMwhBgsA