1 2 3 4
03Panther
03Panther UberDork
8/15/22 10:49 p.m.

In reply to Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) :

There ya go again, trying to confuse him with facts! 
That's ok; he'll make up more!

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
8/16/22 9:18 a.m.

I, for one, WANT Crossfire Injection. That setup has fascinated me since I was a kid, and it's weird as hell. From what I've read and researched, it was a good design, except they made the lower plenum runners too small which restricted flow for some dumb reason like federal noise regulations. I think someone made a better lower plenum at some point, but those have to be rare these days. Either way, I dig them. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
8/16/22 3:52 p.m.
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) said:
frenchyd said: 

The fuel injected ones are to be avoided if you expect others to tune it. It's mechanical fuel injection not electronic.  Carbs are straight forward.  Keep the fuel clean and 90% of the carb problems are caused by the ignition. 

That is wrong. 

C3 Corvette fuel injection is fully electronic. Mechanical fuel injection was over a decade and half obsolete by the time C3s got fuel injection. 

The C3's started in 1963 they carried over the mechanical fuel injection from the 1957 C2   And that mechanical fuel injection continued to 1965.  When it was discontinued for the big block. 
 Please get your facts straight.   

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/16/22 4:01 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :  The C designations refer to the generation of chassis, not engine families.  You are right about the carryover of the mechanical fuel injection from C1 to C2, but the C3 didn't start production until the 1968 model year.  

C1 is 1953-1962

C2 is 1963-1967

C3 is 1968-1982

C4 is 1984-1996

C5 is 1997-2004

C6 is 2005-2013

C7 is 2014-2019

C8 is 2020- present

Opti
Opti Dork
8/16/22 4:31 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

It was renegade and apparently there was some problem with manufacturing. It was available a few years ago when I was looking at a c4, last I read is someone is trying to bring it back. 

Dyno I saw was 32 hp and 16 ft lbs on a stock motor

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/16/22 5:52 p.m.
06HHR (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to frenchyd :  The C designations refer to the generation of chassis, not engine families.  You are right about the carryover of the mechanical fuel injection from C1 to C2, but the C3 didn't start production until the 1968 model year.  

C1 is 1953-1962. Solid Axle cars

C2 is 1963-1967. Mid years

C3 is 1968-1982. Shark cars

C4 is 1984-1996. The new Corvette 

C5 is 1997-2004. Big butts

C6 is 2005-2013. Creased and pressed

C7 is 2014-2019. That's more like it

C8 is 2020- present. Zora's folly

I made some additions. I made up those last four.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
8/16/22 6:43 p.m.

I actually like the 78-79 Corvette, but would definitely have to drive one before buying since so many people have trashed its ride.   It would be simply a cruising car, but would want the 4 speed and would have to improve the engine.  

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/16/22 7:45 p.m.
frenchyd said:
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) said:
frenchyd said: 

The fuel injected ones are to be avoided if you expect others to tune it. It's mechanical fuel injection not electronic.  Carbs are straight forward.  Keep the fuel clean and 90% of the carb problems are caused by the ignition. 

That is wrong. 

C3 Corvette fuel injection is fully electronic. Mechanical fuel injection was over a decade and half obsolete by the time C3s got fuel injection. 

The C3's started in 1963 they carried over the mechanical fuel injection from the 1957 C2   And that mechanical fuel injection continued to 1965.  When it was discontinued for the big block. 
 Please get your facts straight.   

C3 Corvette was 68-82.

You get your facts straight !

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
8/16/22 8:38 p.m.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/461598932116817/

Only an hour away, I like the black on black and T Tops for hot days because I'm sure the air doesn't work. Tempted to see it this weekend.

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
8/16/22 8:44 p.m.

My bro was in the same boat.  I found him an 81 that had been desmogged and was pretty together black on red t-top car with a 350 3 speed auto.  Undoubtably one of the least desireable combo's but it's a really nice driver he can tweak on for 10k. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
8/16/22 9:07 p.m.

When we met, my soon-to-be wife had a very nice '78 L-82.  The first time I drove it, I didn't really know what to expect, but I came away thinking that it drove a bit like my '85 Chevy truck, so that's not a good thing.  But they really do get a lot of stares and smiles (this one was very red).  We were probably foolish to sell it for about what she had in it, but with two young kids, it was just sitting in the garage.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
8/16/22 9:13 p.m.

Don't half ass something when you can full send it. Honestly all the usual question and concerns have been answered here.

But if your going to do it find one that is setup the way you want and how you drive much cheaper in the long run, also they hold their values pretty decently so as long as you get a good one for a good price getting out from under it is not a big deal.  

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
8/16/22 9:33 p.m.

I tend to be a bottom feeder.  I like the idea of a beater car - nobody can bust on you for being Mr. Money Bags.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/16/22 9:42 p.m.

The chrome bumper car is the one to get if the cage is rust free.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
8/18/22 8:48 a.m.

I messaged the seller with the black '81 above.  Younger guy and was going to build it up with his grandfather but grandfather ended up with cancer & not very functional so he just wants to recoup some $ (says he paid $10k has it listed for $9350).  I try to give people the benefit of the doubt so I'll go with that.

Says someone is coming Friday to see it, if that doesn't work out I'll go see it Saturday.  I have a friend that's a notary that lives along the way, maybe I can treat her to lunch for the help.  He sent a few closeups of minor paint blemishes, and a startup video behind the wheel.  I noticed the tach didn't work, but sounded decent.  See what happens.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/18/22 9:13 a.m.

I don't want to rain on your parade but the black one has 170k miles and is still $9.3k asking?  When I click on the sellers profile, it shows he previously had it listed at $13.5k.  

I also wonder of the sentence, "...was going to build it up with his grandfather."  What did the car need for this build up?  Was it needed maintenance or performance upgrades?  I'd like to know more of what he perceived the car needed and then know how much of that did the car get (still needs?)  

Either way, yes, go see it and find out if a C3 is right for you.   

If you don't drive this car much over a 3 or 4 year ownership you'll be knocking on 200k miles when you try to sell it.  That seems like a tough sale.  Sure, I daily drive a car with more than 200k but it also not a car from 40+ years ago and an era where odometers only had 5 digits (as in the manufacturer didn't even expect it to go 100k miles.)  

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/18/22 10:02 a.m.

Some help from the Classic Motorsports crew:

Tech Tips: C3 Chevrolet Corvette

Buyer Guide: Chevrolet C3 Corvette

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
8/18/22 10:34 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I asked how long he had owned it:

"A couple months, only reason for selling is my grandpa and I were gonna build it up put some new headers and exhaust on it and get the engine real nice but he got diagnosed with lymphoma about a month ago and we just don’t have the time to mess with it. I bought it for 10 and put a new chrome alternator in it and went through a few batteries. It had a battery drain but doesn’t anymore and it has a coolant leak but I took it to a shop in town and they said it’s nothing significant that needed fixed right now, they put a sealant in it for $160 and now it’s a lot better."

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/18/22 10:48 a.m.

...has a coolant leak but I took it to a shop in town and they said it’s nothing significant that needed fixed right now, they put a sealant in it for $160 and now it’s a lot better.

Just so that leak is not at the HG!  Sealant?  Blue Devil head gasket in a bottle? 

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/18/22 10:52 a.m.
John Welsh said:

...has a coolant leak but I took it to a shop in town and they said it’s nothing significant that needed fixed right now, they put a sealant in it for $160 and now it’s a lot better.

Just so that leak is not at the HG!  Sealant?  Blue Devil head gasket in a bottle? 

For $160 you think they could have just fixed the leak..    Unless you want a project, i think i'd pass on this one. 

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
8/18/22 10:54 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Yeah that last line gave me pause last night.  I'm still curious, I can at least see if I even like these cars.  If I decide against, I'm only out a few hours of a Sunday and can still take my friend to lunch.  I know there's a good Mexican place nearby.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/18/22 11:18 a.m.

Definitely go and see,  drive.

If needed to be,  this will be easy to convey to the seller a reason for no-buy.  

Another sealant is Bars Leaks for a radiator that needs to be replaced or a water pump seal gone/going bad.  

He still made the choice to "band-aid"  rather than fix.  Sure feels like,  "I'm not putting in any more than I have to to get this sold." 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/18/22 11:22 a.m.

Make sure you drive it with the windows up. I found that my shoulder hit the rolled up window and so I was driving slightly leaned over the entire time with customer C3 Corvettes. Kill the idea of me owning one. Also remember that the last of the C3 Corvettes had a smaller Hood opening so service is much more of a pain in the dick

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
8/18/22 9:18 p.m.

If you want a V8 rumble, two seats, and something that is unlikely to depreciate, a left field idea is a 73-87 Chevy short bed pickup.  Might get more attention on the street and at cruise ins, too.

But, yeah, C3 Corvettes look cool.  EastsideWife and I tend to disagree about which ones are better, I like the earlier ones, and she likes the disco-era bubble back ones.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/18/22 9:26 p.m.

Jerry,  buy this Fiero instead if you want a GM cruise machine. 

Just down the street from you,  if that street is I-75.

Storm Trooper colors too! 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hlYiw9ydJGmrwQDwtCAtE1GdDRv4ey0XsVcAcnrX2VqKPkVqBI409UIPZQqdfORK