1 2
njansenv
njansenv Dork
8/16/12 11:25 a.m.

http://bringatrailer.com/2012/08/15/1992-bmw-m5-wagon/

I plan to go look at it on Saturday. It's it's not sold, I'm a little nervous about what's going to happen.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/16/12 11:29 a.m.

Oh dear god, that is beautiful.

Don't be nervous. Be more nervous about it being gone before Saturday.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/12 11:30 a.m.

What's 207,000 km in American?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UberDork

I don't really see the problem here ?

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UberDork

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
8/16/12 11:39 a.m.
Woody wrote: What's 207,000 km in American?

128623.837 That many, according to the conversion thing on google.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/16/12 11:56 a.m.

Mistake? If this is wrong you don't wanna be right!

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
8/16/12 1:40 p.m.

I remember reading somewhere a handful of those are roaming the States. I have actually seen one or two around here (might have been the same car, but 40~ miles apart). $14K seems like a good deal for such a rare car. IIRC, BMW didn't build very many of them total - less than 900 between '92 and '95. The kind of car where if I had the money and space, I'd buy one and just park it for 5 years until it hit the 25 year rule.

The0retical
The0retical Reader
8/16/12 1:42 p.m.

I see nothing wrong with this situation.

Steve Chryssos
Steve Chryssos Associate Publisher
8/16/12 1:50 p.m.

Lovely. Even in Huggy Bear Purple, it's a winner.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
8/16/12 1:58 p.m.
Steve Chryssos wrote: Lovely. Even in Huggy Bear Purple, it's a winner.

It looks like a bad photo. I am 99% sure E34 M5's were only available in black.

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel HalfDork
8/16/12 2:04 p.m.

The Autotrader ad (clickable from BaT) has a shot that is pretty clearly purple, and that's how the seller identifies it. Look at it this way: assuming YOU can put up with it, offended bystanders or fellow motorists won't ever have to be bothered by the colour for long.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
8/16/12 2:05 p.m.
Ian F wrote:
Steve Chryssos wrote: Lovely. Even in Huggy Bear Purple, it's a winner.
It looks like a bad photo. I am 99% sure E34 M5's were only available in black.

From the ad:

Ad said: Status Used Year 1992 Make BMW Model M Kilometres 207,565 km Style/Trim M5 wagon Drive RWD Type Station Wagon Exterior Colour Purple
Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
8/16/12 2:17 p.m.

Wow... Only looked at the BaT picture... but yeah... that is purple... probably Daytona Violet... Might have been a special order since I still recall reading all M5's from that era were black.

I'll have to send this to my g/f now - her first M3 was a '95 in Daytona Violet. She loves that color.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
8/16/12 2:28 p.m.
Ian F wrote: I'll have to send this to my g/f now - her first M3 was a '95 in Daytona Violet. She loves that color.

And... she wants it. Anyone want to buy a '96 Volvo 850 turbo wagon?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/16/12 2:32 p.m.
Ian F wrote: Wow... Only looked at the BaT picture... but yeah... that is purple... probably Daytona Violet... Might have been a special order since I still recall reading all M5's from that era were black.

It was the E28 that was only available in black, at least in the US. The E34 was available in several different colours.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
8/16/12 2:43 p.m.

The color (Daytona) as well as a lot of other information is available in the comments, a previous owner chimed in.

Another person commenting brought up an interesting point - the cutoff for DOT approval in the US is 25 years, but the EPA cutoff is 20 years. As a result you could buy this car, wait until January to bring it in to the US, and you wouldn't have to deal with the EPA conversion which is the difficult and expensive part of federalizing a euro car. The DOT conversion will still be required but it's less expensive and more straightforward.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/16/12 2:46 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote:
Ian F wrote: Wow... Only looked at the BaT picture... but yeah... that is purple... probably Daytona Violet... Might have been a special order since I still recall reading all M5's from that era were black.
It was the E28 that was only available in black, at least in the US. The E34 was available in several different colours.

Agreed. The e34 M5 was available in any hue desired.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
8/16/12 2:49 p.m.

Well... to the OP... be sure to post back after you look at it. I've gotten four e-mails (correction: 5th as I typed this) back about how she wants that car...

Not that I've seen that many over the years, but I've only see E34 M5's in black.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam UltraDork
8/16/12 4:06 p.m.

I don't care if that car was Barbie pink, I'd drive it. That thing is Badass, with a capital 'B.'

alex
alex UltraDork
8/16/12 4:10 p.m.

That's the same color as the first M3 my dad almost bought when he wound up buying the Stealth. I still remember the sound of the M3 on the test drive, and I've wanted one ever since.

This is an impossibly cool car. I'm glad importing it is such a hassle so I don't feel so bad that I can't afford it.

jrw1621
jrw1621 PowerDork
8/16/12 4:14 p.m.

The purple-ness does not show up well in most the photos where it really just likes like a shade of black but this photo does the color some justice.
I really like it.

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
8/16/12 7:46 p.m.

I LIKE the purple...it makes me want it even more.

If there were a simple way to make that US legal now I'd be raiding my retirement account and selling my 325

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
8/16/12 8:11 p.m.

And you are worried because?

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
8/16/12 9:05 p.m.

That thing is effing badass.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kwo0H1XQ0UrVxymd3A0qYANfokR25R4UFHs39vARI9muRgaOICmaX1pQCABFy0Cw