1 2
Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
9/12/11 10:29 a.m.

It is a 6yr old BD-920N with the stand and all the stuff that came with it new, is said to be in fine working order. The price is slightly less than half the cost of new for everything.

For reference:

spritedriver28
spritedriver28 New Reader
9/12/11 10:58 a.m.

The Jet machines are pretty decent for the hobby shop, but too light duty for any kind of professional use. For half the price of new...probably worth a drive.

Zomby woof
Zomby woof SuperDork
9/12/11 11:01 a.m.

For meaningful reference, give us the price

9/12/11 11:04 a.m.
Zomby woof wrote: For meaningful reference, give us the price

$600 with stand, it will cost me $80 in fuel to fetch it. It is missing the 4 jaw chuck but otherwise ready to make parts.

phaze1todd
phaze1todd Reader
9/12/11 11:05 a.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

Yes.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/12/11 11:08 a.m.

I probably would. Tooling is worth the price of the lathe.

9/12/11 11:11 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: I probably would. Tooling is worth the price of the lathe.

No tooling - just gears, tool post, 2 rests... just the stuff you get when you buy the lathe new.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
9/12/11 11:12 a.m.

It's a neat toy. I've driven further for less.

Ranger50
Ranger50 Dork
9/12/11 11:13 a.m.

You haven't got it yet?

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/12/11 11:28 a.m.

my tool post was over $100. Rests and such were pretty expensive as well. All in I've probably got better than 2k in my $400 lathe. Cutting tools are cheap if you learn to grind your own.

pigeon
pigeon Dork
9/12/11 11:28 a.m.

This should be titled "I just drove 6 hrs round trip to pick up this lathe"

9/12/11 11:29 a.m.

Righto. Arranging schedule...

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
9/12/11 12:03 p.m.

You should tell us all where it is. And, ahh... give us the seller's phone number, you know, so we can confirm it or something.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/12/11 12:19 p.m.

Hmmm....If'n I'm less than six hours from you....

9/12/11 12:27 p.m.
Woody wrote: Hmmm....If'n I'm less than six hours from *you*....

Back off you filthy vultures!

If for some reason I decide I can't make the trip this week... I will post the ad.

kb58
kb58 HalfDork
9/12/11 1:05 p.m.

While it's a fun thing and all, a thread like this is useless since you're asking strangers to apply their standards of worth to your situation. We have widely different income levels and who knows where the lathe is relative to you (open country or terrible city traffic), nevermind you didn't say what you planned to use it for. I wish you well, but you need to make up your own mind on this one.

9/12/11 1:24 p.m.
kb58 wrote: While it's a fun thing and all, a thread like this is useless since you're asking strangers to apply their standards of worth to your situation. We have widely different income levels and who knows where the lathe is relative to you (open country or terrible city traffic), nevermind you didn't say what you planned to use it for. I wish you well, but you need to make up your own mind on this one.

Righto then, good questions.

The only lathe I have ever used productively is well beyond my allotted space, skill and price range so I am seeking a decent quality bench top to use so I don't have to drive 160 miles to my friends shop every time I want to fiddle.

I plan to use it initially as a precision drill and to make small parts like bearing housings, nylon bushings, a little threading, some educational projects to learn how to do more advanced things with a lathe in my garage. Call it purposeful hobby work.

Some of these strangers have and use lathes. I have no familiarity with this brand or model above what google tells me so... this is as good as any place to ask for an opine. People ask if they should be getting a divorce on here... at least this is slightly on topic

My income level isn't that important - it is a decent value to me as long as someone does not say "That lathe is utter crap - run away" or "You can buy those all day long near me for $350". I priced out the machine new and it would cost approx $1600 for the same thing.

The drive is 3hrs 1 way. Traffic won't be a problem. Fuel will cost $80 for the truck + coffee. It will be loaded for me, I can unload it with an engine hoist.

OK, now may I have your thoughts?

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
9/12/11 1:28 p.m.

You forgot the part where somehow GRM knows everything. It's seriously better than Wikipedia, and with a lot less garbage to sift through.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte HalfDork
9/12/11 1:28 p.m.

Are you talking to US filthy vultures?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/12/11 1:36 p.m.
kb58 wrote: While it's a fun thing and all, a thread like this is useless since you're asking strangers to apply their standards of worth to your situation. We have widely different income levels and who knows where the lathe is relative to you (open country or terrible city traffic), nevermind you didn't say what you planned to use it for. I wish you well, but you need to make up your own mind on this one.

Stop being reasonable on the internet.

kb58
kb58 HalfDork
9/12/11 8:56 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: ...I plan to use it initially as a precision drill and to make small parts like bearing housings, nylon bushings, a little threading, some educational projects to learn how to do more advanced things with a lathe in my garage. ...it is a decent value to me as long as someone does not say "That lathe is utter crap - run away" or "You can buy those all day long near me for $350". I priced out the machine new and it would cost approx $1600 for the same thing. The drive is 3hrs 1 way. Traffic won't be a problem. Fuel will cost $80 for the truck + coffee. It will be loaded for me, I can unload it with an engine hoist. OK, now may I have your thoughts?

Sure. It'll "probably" be good to a couple thou' but don't count on it. It may have been abused and may not run true. If you ask "real" machinists they'll say "run away" because all they know are $5K+ machines with sub-thou' repeatability and incredible stiffness. If you use it on plastic, brass or aluminum you'll be fine, but larger diameter steel, or worse, stainless, will cause it heartburn. Very fine cuts "may" work in that case.

As long as you don't require precision, a lot of torque, and aren't turning large stuff (think: brake rotors) you "may" be fine. Seriously consider what others said about the cost of tooling. It's very easy to spend $1000 on a decent tool post, cutters, boring bars, and live center. Again, it All depends what it's to be used for.

Me, I have an old Grizzly 13" x 36" which has served me well for my uses.

9/12/11 9:52 p.m.

In reply to kb58:

Thanks.

I think in my case it "should" be fine.

Most of my imaginary projects involve nylon, poly, aluminum... a little bronze. Any steel would be limited to turning/threading less than 3/4" shaft. I googled quite a bit and guys who actually know what they are doing achieve excellent accuracy with this same machine but that implies that it is in better than new condition. I do not require +/- .001 on anything I might be doing initially. If I ever reach that limitation I'm fine with upgrading.

As far as tooling... saving a big bunch on the the machine means my budget will allow room for some tooling - and - most of it will be reusable if I sell to upgrade.

I am a bit space limited - so the small size is actually a benefit to me in this case as the South Bends and such that normally appear for sale around here just won't fit. If that means I can't turn my own manhole covers... I can live with that.

I am officially in the "Worth the drive" camp now.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte HalfDork
9/12/11 9:58 p.m.

Well played.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/13/11 8:10 a.m.

6 hours? I'd drive 6 hours round trip for Chocolate Covered Bacon. (seriously, I'm looking for a source if anyone knows of one) I love driving and seeing new places and adventure. I would add some interesting lunch stop that was featured on Man Vs Food and make a day of it.

9/13/11 8:27 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: 6 hours? I'd drive 6 hours round trip for Chocolate Covered Bacon. (seriously, I'm looking for a source if anyone knows of one) I love driving and seeing new places and adventure. I would add some interesting lunch stop that was featured on Man Vs Food and make a day of it.

Not to derail my own thread... but if you have a heat source (like headers or something), some bacon or a live pig and some chocolate... you never have to leave the house.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ov2nTpjqpr6IVuqeEkxJaOmO2PWgZ1CcgGOclEZmCzCH4TLzoN5ScLXv2lHKgTdy