1 2
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
1/13/12 11:25 a.m.

EXCivic brought up the Jensen Healey: it's not as common as the B but it's a damn sight faster.

oldtin
oldtin SuperDork
1/13/12 11:36 a.m.

You mentioned wanting to keep up with traffic... A stock B engine will not keep up with a 90s minivan, much less anything newer. Maybe it's just my imagination, but I think it takes somewhere around 150+hp to get the power:weight of a modern soccermom-mobile. A newer 4 cyl, 6 or 8 will easily do it.

In my area I am seeing better deals on fiat spyders as in driveable, non-rust buckets and challenge priced. Similar priced in LBCs have been tetanus specials. (the one you're looking at has some rust in some pita places - the lines on the front fenders are a fair indicator the sills have probs - sills have 3 panels - outer, center and inner. It's not impossible and not all that expensive for diy, just know what you're in for)

EvanR
EvanR Reader
1/13/12 12:08 p.m.
GTwannaB wrote:
MG Bryan wrote: I think everything from '77 back is pretty much exempt everywhere. Not sure on that though.
Don't move to CA. Anything 76 or newer is smogged.

And don't move to Las Vegas or Reno, Nevada. We smog everything back to 1968!

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/13/12 12:34 p.m.
EvanR wrote:
GTwannaB wrote:
MG Bryan wrote: I think everything from '77 back is pretty much exempt everywhere. Not sure on that though.
Don't move to CA. Anything 76 or newer is smogged.
And don't move to Las Vegas or Reno, Nevada. We smog everything back to 1968!

1968!?!

what are they trying to accomplish with that? And here I thought CA was bad.

mmosbey
mmosbey GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/13/12 2:21 p.m.

Yeah, Louisiana has emissions testing in a largish circle around Baton Rouge. My parish is adjacent to the easternmost limit of emissions testing, so I worry about getting sucked in sometime. Louisiana completely exempts anything older than 1980. Some of the places I'd consider living have light requirements on pre-1995, but completely exempt pre-1968. It seems, if you want to be guaranteed to be out of it, at least right now, you need a 1967 or older.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
1/13/12 2:34 p.m.

Got a relative living in a non-smog state? Sell 'em the car for a buck, register/plate it there, then 'store' it for 'em. You gotta exercise it every so often, right?

Or at least I've heard that's how these things go.

intrepid
intrepid New Reader
1/13/12 2:42 p.m.

If you want to keep up with traffic in an MGB, a Moss supercharger will do the trick most efficiently.

However, as an MGB (and Miata) owner, I suggest you buy a Miata and then keep looking at B's while you enjoy driving the modern roadster. If you go this route, I wouldn't be surprised if the desire for a B fades in time...

-chris r.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/13/12 7:26 p.m.
mguar wrote: Don't let someone sell you their dream.. A Miata for example is a better car, but you simply will not attach to it the way people seem to attach to their MG's etc..

As someone who deals with Miata owners day after day - I'm not sure that's an accurate statement. The Miata really is the MGB, just 25 years earlier on the timeline.

intrepid
intrepid New Reader
1/13/12 8:02 p.m.

To reiterate what I said and reinforce Keith's point: I have both an MGB and a Miata. I'm really glad that I have and, at least for now, can keep both. If I had to give up one though, I suspect the Miata might be the one to stay...

-chris r.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
1/14/12 7:21 a.m.

Speaking as a Britmobile lover, I wouldn't kick a 1.8 Miata out of the garage. More than once I have considered getting one as a DD and parking the Trooper to use as a tow rig only. The lack of a back seat is pretty much the only thing that's stopped that from happening (damn kids). Sadly, it will probably wind up being an Accord or similar eventually.

A Miata could never replace the Jensen Healey but honestly that's mostly because that's a lust object from my teen years. The Miata would be a fun track day toy etc but for cruisin', nahhh.

mmosbey
mmosbey GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/14/12 8:10 a.m.

I had a 1997 Miata back in the early aughts. It really is a great car. I haven't talked about it much in this thread, but an early Miata isn't completely off the table. I also spent hours and hours looking at the Haynes 914 manual I checked out umpteen times in the mid 90's. I ended up buying a RX-7 as a first car instead, but I've test-driven a 914-6 and a 914 and loved them both over the Mazdas I was driving at the time. They felt lower, more planted. It felt like the weight of the car needed less management, like a kart. Perhaps I was mistaking stiffness for sportiness, but I liked it. Also, the smells and noises were more satisfying. To steal from a Fifth Gear review of the Morgan 3 Wheeler, I've never driven a car that made it so clear that you were being propelled along by a series of tiny explosions. Lil' sis is an aircooled VW-head and her bug never imparted this to me in the way the 914 does. I also don't remember the shifter sucking.

I like the B in general, but I've never driven one. I like the parts availability, the lack of a giant flaw (sure, there is that door thing, but that doesn't look bad compared to 914 battery tray rust), low prices, mechanical simplicity. I appreciate the exterior styling, but the interior styling is weak, except on the early cars.

I think I'm going to keep a B on my list, but perhaps not that B.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ViZEYCbvPdVZJ3lX4tRvFW56ZeMFonGmpJYAvM2fAPckfHlpnZ1zEhfDwOJbVS0J