1 2
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/8/23 5:49 a.m.

I hate the subscription model that everything is going to.  

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/8/23 6:17 a.m.

In 2016 the Cayman S came into my price range. It has 45 more hp that a base. I paid it off in 2.5 years, I don't know the price differance between the 987.1 base vs S then but I paid that much more per month for the 45hp.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
5/8/23 7:47 a.m.

Absolutely not. To me, this ranks right up there with "market value adjustment" price hikes. 

Not that I'm the target demographic or me not buying their product makes any difference whatsoever but, as far as I'm concerned, any stealership trying that E36 M3 can get berkeleyed.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/8/23 7:57 a.m.

No way in hell. 

I will never own a vehicle that has subscriptions for anything that is related to the vehicle itself. It's an asinine business model and I will not support it in any way. 

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/8/23 8:48 a.m.

Just check off the $2950 box in the options  list and forget about it. 

What's that saying about th pain of buying quality goes away long before the pleasure of having it?

$2950 is less than the price of upgrading to the AWD turbo/ 4000 lb towing package on the new Ford Maverick ( you get 88 more hp than the standard hybrid).

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/8/23 10:44 a.m.
jharry3 said:

Just check off the $2950 box in the options  list and forget about it. 

What's that saying about th pain of buying quality goes away long before the pleasure of having it?

$2950 is less than the price of upgrading to the AWD turbo/ 4000 lb towing package on the new Ford Maverick ( you get 88 more hp than the standard hybrid).

When it comes to buying quality vs cheap, I've always heard "Buy once, cry once."

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
5/8/23 11:06 a.m.

I berkeleying hate subscriptions. If it was up to me, the only subscriptions I would have is for a couple magazines, TrainerRoad, Spotfiy and maybe a streaming video service or two. So I would say no

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/8/23 2:43 p.m.
Toyman! said:

No way in hell. 

I will never own a vehicle that has subscriptions for anything that is related to the vehicle itself. It's an asinine business model and I will not support it in any way. 

I don't even play games that have a subscription/microtransaction model.

t321sg
t321sg New Reader
5/8/23 11:00 p.m.

Have not car makers always done this?  Except it was an extra cost option on the order form, you pay for once.  Back in the day they just did it with different carbs and camshafts instead of remote software downloads.  In 1967 Pontiac offered a 265 HP 2bbl 389 ci V8, or a 350 HP 4 bbl version.   If you financed the car and were making monthly payments, effectively it was a monthly subscription :)

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
5/8/23 11:51 p.m.

In reply to t321sg :

Respectfully disagree; installing hard parts vs unlocking something that's already there are two very different things.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
5/9/23 1:06 a.m.
wspohn said:
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:

Why not just pay a hacker?

Because they don't offer a driveline warranty if something breaks....?

Just change it back before you send it for service.

Factory fueling on my bike was miserable. During the warranty period, when it went to the dealer, I took 15 minutes and put the garbage oem tune back in the computer.

When it came home, the "more power and smoothness" tune went back in.

wae
wae PowerDork
5/9/23 6:34 a.m.

What's the contract say about the term?  It's only $90/month now, but how long does that last?  Surely any man who's willing to spend $90/month on a power subscription would easily pay $125/month once they're used to the way it drives!

This MRR-focused business model is an abomination.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/9/23 10:18 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Toyman! said:

No way in hell. 

I don't even play games that have a subscription/microtransaction model.

This. The only subscriptions I will pay for are GRM and a couple of streaming services. If you are delivering a physical product, I'm not going to subscribe to it. I don't even like renting things. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
5/9/23 12:05 p.m.
wae said:

What's the contract say about the term?  It's only $90/month now, but how long does that last?  Surely any man who's willing to spend $90/month on a power subscription would easily pay $125/month once they're used to the way it drives!

Ding Ding Ding.............we have a winner!

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
5/9/23 12:21 p.m.
wae said:

Or they could push a over the air "update" to make the air conditioner $50 a month. Or bring the base level horsepower you can access without a subscription down to 55.

StuntmanMike
StuntmanMike New Reader
5/24/23 11:53 a.m.

At first glance it seems infuriating that they would use this pricing model but if you look at cars that have V6 and V8 models, the difference is more than $3k so this doesn't seem so bad. But monthly, no way! one time fee only.

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
5/24/23 12:00 p.m.

I just willingly gave up 300 hp for a car more suited to our needs because it was useless in our area. Sitting in rush hour traffic thinking about $90 clicking away would just be salt in the wound.

Back to the original question, no, I would not do monthly payments for power. I agree that it's an insidious sales tactic that will likely push its way into all cars. "Do you want the premium 12-speaker stereo - click here for $30 a month, unless you're okay with the free two-speaker weenie setup."

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
5/24/23 12:12 p.m.

In reply to wae :

Yeah people who move into HOA areas run into this. It's "only" $400 a month for maintenance, now, but $600 five years later. I think that your point is very valid for OTA software updates, especially about them deciding (correctly) "if they've got the money for a nonessential 'upgrade', we can certainly squeeze more out of them."

I recently bought a CAD design software and specifically picked a non-subscription product for these reasons. If you're a business, fine, but as an individual, no way.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/24/23 5:27 p.m.

Thinking about this more I think not only would I not do this I would actively promote purchasing a car from a manufacturer that does not play these games.  

It really rubs me the wrong way. Probably way more than it should but here we are. 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/24/23 7:15 p.m.

How about a pay-for-use model?  Floor it for five seconds at $.05/HP/Sec. That's twenty bucks for a  thrill. Still better than a cheap hooker. You get your bill, call to contest and an AI says "Remember when you couldn't resist blowing off that Camaro, Dave?" 

Blunder
Blunder Reader
5/25/23 8:12 p.m.

Can I get $60 bucks back a month if I don't use the rain sensing wiper feature? Or don't want to use the back up camera? It would probably go over a lot better if customers had cart blanche to add OR delete features more like they did years and years ago. 

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
5/26/23 12:36 a.m.
Blunder said:

Can I get $60 bucks back a month if I don't use the rain sensing wiper feature? Or don't want to use the back up camera? It would probably go over a lot better if customers had cart blanche to add OR delete features more like they did years and years ago. 

I want my credit card company to allow something like that: Send them, say, $10,000 over your pay off amount and earn 20% return on it like they do.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/31/23 8:58 a.m.

Instead of $90/month, what about $5 for that boost every second Sunday? 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/31/23 12:35 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I think I suggested that early on :)

Dialcaliper
Dialcaliper New Reader
6/1/23 3:38 a.m.

While those of us who care about our cars and think in terms of ownership (and buying used) see the subscription idea as ridiculous, I suspect the biggest target of the "subscription" model is the entirely opposite and quite large demographic of people who lease brand new fancy cars every 18 months, which is in effect already a monthly subscription/rental, just locked in for a period. They already have a monthly payment on the car, and won't own it at the end. In that perspective, it makes for a lucrative cash grab - instead of picking features up front and having it locked in to a more expensive lease payment, they'll entice people who leased the car without the features to add stuff like this later on, especially if they wouldn't have bought it originally and Mercedes and their dealers will rake in more cash than they would have before even if the person leasing gets bored with it after a few months. 

It looks like an EQS lease is something like $1000-1300 a month. What's another $90 added on top, and you can start/stop monthly if you change your mind or your budget gets tight? Don't own the car and you won't own the tune anyway. $90 a month on an 18 month lease is  ~$1600 compared to a $3000 up-front fee?

Leasing is already a sneaky cash grab aimed at people with short attention spans who live paycheck to paycheck (which runs higher up the income scale than you'd think) and care more about the lower monthly payment compared to a car loan + lump sum

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eyOa3wQNBLTiTHHxU4VtBFULdVB4dV5OKiPh8mSzBaCcVttLZvoCciMBhFWuxZXW