1 2
hunter47
hunter47 New Reader
6/25/21 12:22 p.m.
RichardSIA said:

With GM's recent supplication to the "Green" mafia it cannot really matter since they are going all EV and I do not see the 'Vette surviving that as anything recognizable as a 'Vette.

All the ICE engineers will be retrained or retired, "Learn to code!". Cannot see how we retain our engineering edge internationally when the dream jobs that were aspired to all go away.

Genuine styling has already been thrown out in favor of Aero/MPG above all, which may be why the original question came up.

Sir, ICE engineers have "known how to code" since EFI was invented. 

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
6/25/21 12:24 p.m.
wearymicrobe said:

I don't understand the FRC love. COrvettes have sloped back always have always should. 

Well most of the c3 coupes have a buttress but not a sloped rear window and have a rear deck instead of a hatch rear 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/25/21 12:26 p.m.

I'm pretty sure that GM is in the business of making money on mass produced vehicles, which means they have to polish their crystal ball and see where the mass market is going to be in 5, 10, 20 years.

Companies their size with their kinds of product lead times that don't do that either get very small or very defunct.  (Bought anything from British Leyland lately?)

We're rapidly approaching a turning point where EVs will be cheaper to produce than ICE vehicles.  It would be utterly foolish to ignore that.

BA5
BA5 GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/25/21 12:38 p.m.
RichardSIA said:

With GM's recent supplication to the "Green" mafia it cannot really matter since they are going all EV and I do not see the 'Vette surviving that as anything recognizable as a 'Vette.

All the ICE engineers will be retrained or retired, "Learn to code!". Cannot see how we retain our engineering edge internationally when the dream jobs that were aspired to all go away.

Genuine styling has already been thrown out in favor of Aero/MPG above all, which may be why the original question came up.

If you actually think speed is cool, then you'll love electric.  

Electric cars will be faster than ICE cars ever could be.  

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
6/25/21 2:04 p.m.

If we're going to hang on to an outdated automotive anachronism that has been bettered by current technology just because it's cool, I say give me an FRC with a twin-clutch paddle box. 

JimS
JimS Reader
6/25/21 2:41 p.m.

In reply to BA5 :

Everyone knows electrics are fast.  Big deal. They are expensive golf carts. Appliances.  People on this board complain about the lack of involvement in an auto trans but rave about ev's. Environmentally all they do is relocate the pollution. 

BA5
BA5 GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/25/21 2:54 p.m.

In reply to JimS :

You know there's gas powered golf carts too, right?  

And even if they get their electricity from a coal plant; the combined efficiency of the coal plant and electrical distribution system is higher than that of an in-vehicle ICE.

Pete. (l33t FS)
6/25/21 3:23 p.m.

In reply to RichardSIA :

I would argue that BL died because of insufficient intervention, either through a lack of antitrust regulation to keep all of their eggs out of one basket, or a lack of protective legislation to keep imports away.  It is neither here nor there.

It is amusing that the "real driving experience" is always what the beholder grew up with.  Points and carbs, VTEC Hondas, manually adjusted ignition timing and flatheads...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/25/21 3:54 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

It is amusing that the "real driving experience" is always what the beholder grew up with.  Points and carbs, VTEC Hondas, manually adjusted ignition timing and flatheads...

Exactly. I remember a saying along the lines of "anything that existed before you were born has always existed, anything that was invented before you reached 30 is new and exciting, anything after 30 is unnecessary and pointless". 

If you don't like EVs or modern cars, awesome. Good for you. There are people who still prefer carburetors over fuel injection and points over electronic ignition. But that doesn't mean you have to slag on the people that DO like EVs or the cars themselves. If you need noises and smells and vibrations to tell you that your car is moving or need to exert control over exactly what gear is selected at any given time and how, don't disparage those who are more interested in what is happening dynamically.

No Time
No Time SuperDork
6/25/21 4:27 p.m.
RichardSIA said:

We retain the engineering edge by developing and advancing new technologies, not by hanging on to current technology.

We moved on from steam, which probably seemed pretty great at the time, in order to advance the ICE. Now we have street cars with 800 hp and a factory warranty. EVs are the next big leap in performance, range, and efficiency.

While ICE design may have been a dream job for some engineers, I'm sure there are plenty that dream of making the next performance EV.

I just hope my son is able to make a living working as an automotive tech, or find a way to adapt what he's learned to make a living and do the things he wants to after graduation from Voc school next year  

Just look at some of the changes that have taken place that have led to kids dreaming of doing things we never imagined when growing up. As and example, kids dream of being the next great YouTube star. That's something I couldn't have even imagined growing up, and now people are making millions on YouTube. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/25/21 5:08 p.m.

In reply to RichardSIA :

FWIW, no one consulted me about closing all the Blockbusters. 

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Dork
6/25/21 5:34 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to RichardSIA :

FWIW, no one consulted me about closing all the Blockbusters. 

That was all technology/consumer driven, nothing was regulated ala what CA is intending.   A lot of automotive technology is driven by regulation. 

Not the same thing. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
6/25/21 5:41 p.m.

In reply to RichardSIA :

One of the consequences is that gasoline is going to get very, very cheap.  It is not the primary reason we pull crude out of the ground, it is more of a byproduct.  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/25/21 9:15 p.m.

johndej
johndej Dork
6/25/21 9:42 p.m.

Corvette threads of any type just brings out the worst in boomers somehow.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
6/25/21 9:44 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

FRC ALL THE THINGS!!!!!!!

Aren't you the guy that sold his FRC?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/26/21 10:24 a.m.
spitfirebill said:
JG Pasterjak said:

FRC ALL THE THINGS!!!!!!!

Aren't you the guy that sold his FRC?

Don't remind us! (And that car was way sweet.)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
T6J58H9c7C5aUlAplbLQamNyRFiFDBVsGN7Jvxsqc1spSJEYELwZmHG1UNSGQgE0