1 2
griffin729
griffin729 New Reader
7/27/09 11:33 a.m.
docwyte wrote: Wow, that must've been a huge mouse!

Um, a moose can total a semi. While the semi is parked. Urban legend goes that air horns really piss off bull moose.

MiatarPowar
MiatarPowar HalfDork
7/27/09 2:38 p.m.

I'd probably just replace the door and pull out the wheel arch as much as possible. The damage really doesn't look that bad, and if you can't find a replacement car, why not at least try?

PaulY
PaulY Reader
7/27/09 4:00 p.m.

I have no place to work on it, no paint skills, no body tools and no time due to school and an upcoming wedding. Also my fiance needs a car for work so having her drive it everyday makes it hard to work on. Sides if I do try and fail then I now have a car that I can't sell to anybody for more then 500 bucks and I'll still need to get another car.

Believe me, i'd love to keep it but the reality is I pretty much have to just take the cash and buy something else soon.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Reader
7/27/09 4:59 p.m.

FWIW you can find fairly good 9000s in the us for $2000. My BIL got a good one last year for under a grand and has only put a couple hundred in it since. It even runs stronger than my wifes 9000 which has fewer miles!

PaulY
PaulY Reader
7/27/09 5:58 p.m.

Thanks for that, Yea i hope to get more than 2 grand for it. I'm going to try and play the rarety card and that I've found some listed higher that are older. They are definitely great cars, just under appreciated by the public.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado HalfDork
7/28/09 11:25 a.m.
PaulY wrote: Thanks for that, Yea i hope to get more than 2 grand for it. I'm going to try and play the rarety card and that I've found some listed higher that are older. They are definitely great cars, just under appreciated by the public.

It's good that you've found older ones that are worth more. I actually ran across the old racing buddy I used to work for (SAAB indie shop) a few days ago..he lost his 9000 about three years ago when some latino guy t-boned him at a light. The guy didn't have insurance, and left the country when he saw that Hell was comin' for breakfast.

PaulY
PaulY Reader
7/28/09 1:46 p.m.

That's brutal. I feel sorry for the guy, at least we know they have insurance.

It could take 30 days before they get back to ICBC. They have been contacted by icbc but they could choose to hold out which would really suck as I leave for the mainland in 2 weeks and i'll be there for 2 weeks getting married.

PaulY
PaulY Reader
7/31/09 9:11 p.m.

UPDATE

IT LIVES!!!

So apparently I have the best estimator in the world. If we had done it through insurance and used approved shops it would go well over the limit and it'd be a write off. But through some clever thinking and using a list of preferred shops with lower rates I get to keep it. For example, any door the guy found was quoted at like 5-600 bucks cause they knew it was an insurance claim, where as i was quoted 400.

But it gets soo much better. So i was driving around seeing if the shops could fix it below the max allowable cost, one said yes, two were closed, all three seemed very sketch. Then I went to the next place on the list. I was driving around trying to find it and then I see the address next to an open garage bay door. I couldn't believe my eyes, there was a guy working on a red Ferrari 308. I walk up to the shop and behind it a guy is polishing a yellow Lotus Esprit. I was told that instead of the 4 cyl it had a caddy northstar v8 Up in the back there was a merc 300sl roadster too. The guy said they had a lot more cool and rare stuff out back. We talked and I showed him the pictures of the damage and he'll be able to fix it and have it ready so i can take it home and take it to my wedding.

Today was a good day

G_Stock
G_Stock New Reader
7/31/09 10:04 p.m.

Hey man glad to hear your going to get it repaired. I would hate to see it get hauled off to the land of the totals just for a door and some door jam repair. I hope they have a good metal working guy where you take it, he should be able to straiten out most of the door jab without much filler. I always thought the Eucalyptus Green was a nice color.

But we needs pics of the shop and that Lotus!

I need to find a good 5 speed unit for my car, but unfortunately SAAB 9000's are pretty rare in the Nashville area, now if I were in New England area i could find a thousand of them. lol

PaulY
PaulY Reader
7/31/09 10:46 p.m.

Thanks.

Ha yea there are like none for sale in my area or all of canada for that mater but check out washington and there are a million. There are a few in the wreckers on the mainland.

friedgreencorrado
7/31/09 11:57 p.m.
PaulY wrote: UPDATE IT LIVES!!! So apparently I have the best estimator in the world. If we had done it through insurance and used approved shops it would go well over the limit and it'd be a write off. But through some clever thinking and using a list of preferred shops with lower rates I get to keep it. For example, any door the guy found was quoted at like 5-600 bucks cause they knew it was an insurance claim, where as i was quoted 400. But it gets soo much better. So i was driving around seeing if the shops could fix it below the max allowable cost, one said yes, two were closed, all three seemed very sketch. Then I went to the next place on the list. I was driving around trying to find it and then I see the address next to an open garage bay door. I couldn't believe my eyes, there was a guy working on a red Ferrari 308. I walk up to the shop and behind it a guy is polishing a yellow Lotus Esprit. I was told that instead of the 4 cyl it had a caddy northstar v8 Up in the back there was a merc 300sl roadster too. The guy said they had a lot more cool and rare stuff out back. We talked and I showed him the pictures of the damage and he'll be able to fix it and have it ready so i can take it home and take it to my wedding. Today was a good day

ROCK ON PaulY!!!!!

I can't recall if it was in GRM or in CM (I subscribe to both), but David Wallens had a great article recently called "Trusted Allies" about finding a great shop to do the things you're either too underequipped, or too busy to do.

Sure sounds like you found one! If they're willing to do your SAAB even though they've got all that high-dollar hardware in the yard, they're not snobs, either. Actually, they sound like they're a lot like us. Was there a copy of GRM laying around in the waiting room?

friedgreencorrado
8/1/09 12:00 a.m.
G_Stock wrote: Hey man glad to hear your going to get it repaired. I would hate to see it get hauled off to the land of the totals just for a door and some door jam repair. I hope they have a good metal working guy where you take it, he should be able to straiten out most of the door jab without much filler. I always thought the Eucalyptus Green was a nice color. But we needs pics of the shop and that Lotus! I need to find a good 5 speed unit for my car, but unfortunately SAAB 9000's are pretty rare in the Nashville area, now if I were in New England area i could find a thousand of them. lol

Gstock, is Atlanta too far away? My old buddy's still in buisiness. They might have one laying around..

http://www.sjauto.repair.bz/

PaulY
PaulY Reader
8/1/09 12:50 a.m.

Ha yea I remember that article, it was in GRM. What I was actually thinking of while looking was an article in Classic Motorsports. It was in the May issue, it was called Pleasant Partnership by Carl Heiderman. It's been a bit since i read it but I remember one thing was to see what kind of work they have in the shop. Ferrari's, Lotuseses and SL mercs are GOOD company. I'll have to go re-read it.

I can't wait to hopefully get a look at the other stuff in the shop. It's a really small industrial park type garage but it was super clean and had a really nicely set up front room. I can't wait to have it done. The wife to be is sooo happy we get to have it for our wedding. Happy wife, happy life.

friedgreencorrado
8/1/09 1:18 a.m.
PaulY wrote: Ha yea I remember that article, it was in GRM. What I was actually thinking of while looking was an article in Classic Motorsports. It was in the May issue, it was called Pleasant Partnership by Carl Heiderman. It's been a bit since i read it but I remember one thing was to see what kind of work they have in the shop. Ferrari's, Lotuseses and SL mercs are GOOD company. I'll have to go re-read it. I can't wait to hopefully get a look at the other stuff in the shop. It's a really small industrial park type garage but it was super clean and had a really nicely set up front room. I can't wait to have it done. The wife to be is sooo happy we get to have it for our wedding. Happy wife, happy life.

As we say in the Southern US,

"..If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy."

Congrats again, Paul. Nice to see one of us win one of these for a change!

G_Stock
G_Stock New Reader
8/1/09 7:41 p.m.

Atlanta is definitely not too far out of the way, I'll have to give them a call, Thanks!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZMTdbjXj5oYt6vOtkkUjYDZGqjwG403EjmxKi5dKpQOoCm00iIUaGGxe9H9DORzz