dansxr2
dansxr2 Reader
2/23/10 7:17 a.m.

So I posted about me getting a '92 Civic HB with a B20Vtec swap. I drove the car home and the CEL was on since i picked up the car. Once home I started to diagnose the cause for the Light and code a Code #3 (Map Sensor). While the engine was running and probing the MAP Sensor wires I walked around to shut the engine off and notice the timing belt had quite a bit of slack in it... So I loosen the tensioner with the engine at TDCand slightly rotate the engine (counter clockwise ever so slightly to put tension on the belt, and.....SNAP

Yes it broke, but thank goodness the B20B/B16A Headed beast was NOT running when it happened!!!!! :D Then I tried to figure out how to to remove the crank pulley, went to the Washington-Holmes Technical Center (I went for Autobody Repair and Refinishing and they have a nice Auto Mechanics class too, but they had nothing. Went to all the shops here is Chipley, FL and nothing.. Walked into NAPA and guess what I walked out with? If you answered a 50mm Crankshaft Holding Tool you are correct.

What a lucky day, hope this car turns out to be less problematic than that Corrado was!!!!

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/23/10 7:32 a.m.
dansxr2 wrote: What a lucky day, hope this car turns out to be less problematic than that Corrado was!!!!

You did get lucky. Honestly, though, I'm not sure that there's much out there that could be more problematic than a Corrado.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
2/23/10 8:24 a.m.

I have seen some MAJOR basket case Hondas... usually the ones with swaps.

I wouldn't be surprised if this thing turns out to be worse than the Corrado. Crossing my fingers for you, though.

You get anywhere with the ECU? I would drive that thing like a grandma until you do.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Reader
2/23/10 9:15 a.m.

It is impossible that anything can be more problematic then a Corrado.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
2/23/10 9:27 a.m.
Paul_VR6 wrote: It is impossible that anything can be more problematic then a Corrado.

What about a Corrado with a motor swap... done by the DPO?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
2/23/10 9:29 a.m.

Ever hear of a Triumph Stag

dansxr2
dansxr2 Reader
2/23/10 9:53 a.m.

I'm swapping ECU's with a local guy that has a chipped p28, so we'll see what that does. I'm not driving it currently as i'm just sorting it out to be a future DD.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/23/10 10:03 a.m.
dansxr2 wrote: I'm swapping ECU's with a local guy that has a chipped p28, so we'll see what that does. I'm not driving it currently as i'm just sorting it out to be a future DD.

I like Double Ds.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
2/23/10 10:17 a.m.
dansxr2 wrote: I'm swapping ECU's with a local guy that has a chipped p28, so we'll see what that does. I'm not driving it currently as i'm just sorting it out to be a future DD.

Does he have the capabilities to flash the chip with a B20 Vtec base map? The only "stock" map i would even consider really driving the car on personally would be a GSR map.

Even if not, the chip burner is fairly cheap i believe, and it's easy to do. You could easily do it yourself.

Vigo
Vigo Reader
2/23/10 1:05 p.m.

I dunno about hondas but i chipped my ecu with a sharpened tooth brush handle and a desoldering gun.. Good fun.

dansxr2
dansxr2 Reader
2/24/10 2:02 p.m.

Okay, so i just finished up the timing belt and its up and running again, now lets figure out why the car is throwing a MAP Sensor Code. Woot

Gotsol
Gotsol New Reader
2/24/10 3:15 p.m.

there is an aftermarket holder available for $20 or so.

http://www.amazon.com/Alltrade-648818-Honda-Pulley-Crankshaft/dp/B0002Q8TR8

dansxr2
dansxr2 Reader
2/24/10 3:45 p.m.

I coulda got one cheaper, but i didn't want to wait a week to get it.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed HalfDork
2/24/10 7:04 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote:
Paul_VR6 wrote: It is impossible that anything can be more problematic then a Corrado.
What about a Corrado with a motor swap... done by the DPO?

Or a Chevy Vega. No motor swap needed, the original was bad enough.

dansxr2
dansxr2 Reader
2/28/10 10:09 a.m.

So upon further inspection I've removed all the PO's wiring and I'm gonna reconnect the wires they clipped and have all the wiring back to the Shocktower connector as it was from OEM. I'm 100% sure they botched the wiring up somewhere, and I'm 99% sure I can correct it myself. Wish me luck!

carzan
carzan Reader
2/28/10 10:46 a.m.

Good luck! We're all counting on you!

dansxr2
dansxr2 Reader
3/1/10 4:37 p.m.

Fixed with the exception of the IAt, I gotta find one to wire up, but the last time I started the car and reset the codes it didn't come back on. I'll post a video of it running tomorrow

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DOp9ALeDARcL26mSbOAiR9NTq1i6RaOdeSSJm9BWLpZ1SjpzIUSri62lpfynpZyD