1 2
dxman92
dxman92 HalfDork
5/8/20 2:51 p.m.

I don't think that video is going to sway Wrangler owners. It really is a Jeep thing.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
5/8/20 3:10 p.m.

Where's Ralph Nader when you need him?

Raze (Forum Supporter)
Raze (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/8/20 5:24 p.m.

Is it bad all I see is a Jeep trying to crawl a rock and falling over...happens all the time on the trails...

Wife has a JL, I promise the progressive electric steering is waaaay bigger problem...

Dave M (Forum Supporter)
Dave M (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
5/9/20 6:35 a.m.

In reply to mtn (Forum Supporter) :

Haha that's amazing. I needed a laugh this morning! Thanks.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
5/9/20 7:12 a.m.

I'm just going to drop this here.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/29962/nhtsa-opens-investigation-on-2018-2019-jeep-wrangler-over-faulty-frame-welds

If you look at complaints people are making, there's a mountain complaining about steering issues.

They will still sell, it's a Jeep thing.

b13990
b13990 Reader
5/9/20 7:14 a.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Where's Ralph Nader when you need him?

Probably making some LPN regret her choice of career, if I had to guess.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/9/20 7:15 a.m.

It's a feature, rolling over dissipates more energy before coming to a stop. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
5/9/20 11:31 a.m.
Dave M (Forum Supporter) said:

FCA has a history of bad crash tests, probably due to keeping models around for a long, long time. Doesn't the Challenger have some safety issues too?

But yeah, Jeep owners are not going to care.

I remember reading somewhere that Dodge's lineup was so old that their cars were made before certain crash test ratings. I know until a few years ago the Durango had no pedestrian impact testing because of this.

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/9/20 2:13 p.m.

I would hate to be a passenger in that collision - it looks like a life altering head injury waiting to happen.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
5/9/20 2:41 p.m.

In reply to Rons :

Yeah, I wonder if/when the pass side bag went off. If it went at the right time, ok. But too early and no good.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/9/20 2:48 p.m.

Now it's well over 20 years since this is happened I feel comfortable telling the story in public. I had a friend a roommate who was a CEAE simulation engineer at Chrysler working on crash simulation for the second gen NEON. They did the side impact test on an early prototype, and while it passed in CAE it failed of the physical test. They went through two or three rounds of changes and retesting but it kept failing. They decided they needed to re-baseline so they built a prototype back to The same design as the very first one. When tested, this time it cost, just but it did pass. That was it. End of program they had a pass so all work stopped and it went into production. Never mind the same design and updated designs had all failed the test, they now had one that passed so that was it.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/9/20 9:59 p.m.
Rons said:

I would hate to be a passenger in that collision - it looks like a life altering head injury waiting to happen.

Of course, the odds are pretty good that this same collision could take place on the other side of the vehicle...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rMdk2sqAJQ0qMAosUlC5ACr0YmazeGxlra4fDIAteFkXY3E4qZsxMqcWYHPy5nVq