1 2 3 4 5 6
snipes
snipes New Reader
1/14/09 10:35 a.m.

so I have not worked on the car much. I went on a cheap cruise with my g-friend. That has put me behind in all parts of life. Any way I got a bunch of good stuff in the mail. I finally got some 10.9 grade bolts for my flywheel. Also some other smaller stuff. I found the Alum. floor boards on ebay for $65. They were blem units so they where so cheap it was not worth the time to make them as i had planed. And I sprung for new torsion bars and shocks!

snipes
snipes New Reader
1/14/09 10:39 a.m.

mrnemo
mrnemo
1/14/09 11:01 a.m.

Thanks for posting this build. I too am curious to see where you locate the radiator(s).

I know 80s Carreras had a fender mount oil cooler (inside passenger fender) and a common mod is to locate a second cooler in the driver's side fender also. I wonder how placing two small radiators in these positions instead, with a RUF-type front valance allowing airflow to them, would work.

Keep up the good work!

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
1/14/09 11:28 a.m.

we saw the carnival inspiration leaving out of miami (i think) on the 2nd when we were on our way back up from the keys to del ray beach. was cool to see all the camera flashes from people taking pictures of the miami skyline on their way out to the bahamas or wherever they were going.

snipes
snipes New Reader
1/14/09 2:32 p.m.
mrnemo wrote: Thanks for posting this build. I too am curious to see where you locate the radiator(s). I know 80s Carreras had a fender mount oil cooler (inside passenger fender) and a common mod is to locate a second cooler in the driver's side fender also. I wonder how placing two small radiators in these positions instead, with a RUF-type front valance allowing airflow to them, would work. Keep up the good work!

the space in the front fenders is small. I found a radiator off an Aprilia sport-bike. I think it was 7"X20" and it filled the whole space. I am thinking of using it as the heat exchanger for a water/air intercooler set up. I am using a large radiator in the front trunk. I have to cut a hole in the front of the car to get air to it and I will also have to cut up the fuel tank. I will take pictures soon.

This guy did it well.radiator

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
1/14/09 2:36 p.m.

Yeah, that's a cool project.

They have to pay me to get on a ship. A lot.

snipes
snipes New Reader
1/16/09 11:12 a.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess:

Why don't you like ships? To much sitting around with no cars to work on and no GRM is my guess.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/16/09 11:26 a.m.
snipes wrote: In reply to Dr. Hess: Why don't you like ships? To much sitting around with no cars to work on and no GRM is my guess.

Too much wire required to Megasquirt it.

stumpmj
stumpmj Dork
1/16/09 1:37 p.m.

Plus they aren't made by Toyota

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
1/16/09 2:24 p.m.

Maybe it was my spending 7 years on the things.

Last one I was on had a 5 cylinder turbocharged Volvo engine. Been a while, but I think it was 2 stroke, about 100 RPM redline, maybe 105 RPM, and around 20K HP or so.

snipes
snipes New Reader
1/26/09 4:22 p.m.

So the car came home and I am so excited. No more driving 30 min to work on it. I was not living in my house when I started this project (I rented it out). Hopefully I will post more progress soon.

Gotsol
Gotsol New Reader
2/2/09 8:12 p.m.

great project. My friend Steve D put a Subie 1.8 NA in an old 912. Good luck to you

snipes
snipes New Reader
2/4/09 3:28 p.m.

The basement is still a mess. But I have been working on cleaning it up more than working on the car (please see my ebay auctions ). But I did get brave and chop the front of the car up some more. I bought a air powered body saw but was not that happy with its results. I wish I had saved the money and not bought this tool. However the 4" side grinder has proven its value again. I bought the bumper off of a friend for a very good price as he had also purchased it second hand from a racer. Another friend had the old rusty gas tank that I will cut apart this weekend. The gas tank needs to be cut so the air from the heat exchangers can escape under the car (with out cutting more holes in the car). Speaking of tools and cutting has anyone tried one of these?sander

Well I hope am not boring you guys to death with my long post and slow progress. I just have a lot to learn.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/4/09 8:40 p.m.

I have the Craftsman version of that sander. I bought it mainly for dressing up the ends of the tubes I cut for my Locost chassis. I didn't really love the sander. The discs wore quickly, the belt needed frequent readjustment and it's really heavy. I ended up filing most of the tubes by hand before welding them. If I were doing it again, I might just use a flap disc (my new favorite tool) on an angle grinder.

Keep the updates coming. I'd love a Porscharu.

snipes
snipes New Reader
2/10/09 5:50 p.m.

Just adding some pictures. Re-finishing the wheels is a pain in the a$$. Removing the anodization pitted the wheels and made life very hard. I spent tons of time and it just was not great. My friend steve helped me cut up the tank to make room from the rad. The tank turned out VERY rusty oso I am looking to buy a tank.

dculberson
dculberson Reader
2/10/09 8:56 p.m.

I bought that saw, too, and ended up regretting it as well.

I have a similar HF sander; the smaller version. It's okay; I've used it for wood a lot but don't know how it would hold up with metal. As with most HF tools, the bearings are weak and it sounds like a 10 year old version of a good tool.

snipes
snipes New Reader
3/16/09 5:06 p.m.

I made a few of these before settling on 18X12X12

Tires on new back wheels

Tank mounted Free fuel foam

Volksroddin
Volksroddin HalfDork
3/16/09 8:15 p.m.

Slowly but surely, it getting done. Keep up the good work.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
3/16/09 8:25 p.m.

I have that air body saw also. I find it useful. I use cut up hack saw blades instead of whatever they sell for the thing. I always seem to have extra hacksaw blades around (50 pack at HF). Just cut one down with some tin snips and put it in the tool and go to town. I've been eyeing that HF sander to finish up metal with. You guys don't care for it? I guess I'll continue on with what I have.

ww
ww Dork
3/16/09 10:59 p.m.

Lookin' good snipes! Keep us posted!

Brust
Brust New Reader
3/16/09 11:12 p.m.

You want the vansant sander: http://www.vansantent.com/multitool_hurricane.htm

Expensive, but that's what "real"fabricators use

It's next on the tool purchase list. I think it's one of those tools that is just worth paying for. I'm tired of turning my belt sander upside down to grind metal parts.

snipes
snipes New Reader
3/17/09 9:09 a.m.

I am done playing with cardboard I am moving on to metal tonight. I used $14 worth of poster board to get all the shapes correct.

Winston
Winston New Reader
3/17/09 9:20 a.m.

Very cool build. Keep at it!

mw
mw Reader
3/17/09 9:20 a.m.

I have that HF saw and I love it. It's so nice for cutting body metal. I used it a lot to cut holes and parts off my miata. I also used it to cut a hole for a sunroof in my wife's car. I would second the recomendation for using broken hack saw blades.

On a more on topic note, the project looks great. I'm interested to see the progress.

walterj
walterj Dork
3/17/09 9:49 a.m.

Where will the air go after it passes thru the radiator? Are you venting it under the car before the fuel cell? I would be a little concerned about generating lift on the nose at high speeds that way. My 964 uses the right fender for the oil cooler and vents directly in front of the wheel - it uses liitle plastic winglets to push the airflow wide so its not directed at the tire/road patch. I wonder if you couldn't do the same by cutting/ducting into the wheel arch. It might be possible to use the air to cool the brakes too (figure 200F water is still cooler than 1000F brakes - helps to heep them warm on cool days too).

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
73FKZkEMttHOyVuEM5XrifNwtXoAODFcsbikDIkcxNWfgb9JhwzeEE0IsAnj2nf8