Jack
Jack SuperDork
3/26/09 9:07 p.m.

Maybe it's too late, but why not AWD?

Jack ps - yeah, I'm kind-of-kidding

snipes
snipes New Reader
5/5/09 2:15 p.m.

AWD sounds fun but I am in over my head as is .
????? I need help with the fuel system. The tank I have is set up to pull fuel from the top and return from the top. It is not set up for an in tank pump. The pick up is just a long tube and I know that high pressure EFI pumps are not built to lift/pull. So I am very worried about fuel starvation on the track. I am also worried about wiring an in tank pump. I am thinking about welding a bung or two into the bottom of the tank and using an external pump but I need a way to control the fuel slosh. I have about 6" of fuel foam to put in the bottom of the tank. Please check out the pictures.

And this is out of my budget surge

snipes
snipes New Reader
5/5/09 2:17 p.m.

snipes
snipes New Reader
5/5/09 2:24 p.m.

This is what I like to call overly optimistic.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
5/5/09 3:04 p.m.

I think you should be OK with a regular EFI fuel pump on that setup. Yeah, the lift on them probably isn't all that great, but once the line is full of fuel, it will be fine. You don't want to run an EFI system out of fuel, of course, as that will lean you out. If you are really concerned, you should consider making/buying a surge tank/swirl pot. You put a regular low pressure pump that has no problem with the lift just after the main tank, and that feeds a smaller tank, like about a quart size, that feeds the EFI high pressure pump. It gets fancy with swirls and return lines, but that's the basics of it. Then when your cornering or accelerating and the main fuel tank pickup is sucking air, the system runs off the swirl pot. When the pickup has gas again, the swirl pot refills. Billzilla.org has (had?) a picture of a DIY one on it somewhere.

snipes
snipes New Reader
5/5/09 3:42 p.m.

Ya I think there is a set up like that in one of Carroll Smith books. I am just hoping to find something that is easier/cheaper to do. The inline bosh pumps seem to be around $300 so that is killing my budget. As always thanks for the help Dr. Hess

MA2LA
MA2LA New Reader
5/5/09 6:57 p.m.

http://www.inlinefuelpumps.com/ thee seem to be the best deal in pumps out there. we have used them on everything from 700hp diesels all the way down to outboard motors

Brust
Brust Reader
5/8/09 5:06 p.m.

I built a swirl pot using 4" exhaust tubing and an rx-7 in-tank pump and mounting plate. Shortened the mount a bit to make it fit in a 12 inch tube. You can see a picture here:

www.picasaweb.google.com/brust.roethler

Look in the Brust's car II album.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/9/09 4:55 a.m.
snipes wrote: Ya I think there is a set up like that in one of Carroll Smith books. I am just hoping to find something that is easier/cheaper to do. The inline bosh pumps seem to be around $300 so that is killing my budget. As always thanks for the help Dr. Hess

Get one from a 944/951 I would even considder a uaed one as they ar all but bullet proof.

New less than $150

snipes
snipes New Reader
5/14/09 12:40 p.m.

Thank you guys for all the fuel pump links. Finished the sheet metal.

Ok finished my second Alum. welding project. The first one did not look so hot so I am not sharing the pictures. Well this one is not that great either but it is getting better. Oh and I finished the intercooler and intake layout.

Matt B
Matt B New Reader
5/14/09 11:00 p.m.

I may be a little late in the thread, but I've just got to say - that this is one of the coolest projects I've seen in a long while. BIG thumbs up.

Again, thanks for documenting it.

snipes
snipes New Reader
7/3/09 2:30 p.m.

My progress is slow but I am learning new things on the way. My aluminum welding is getting much better. I had these parts to mount the POV but need the practice welding and thought I could save some money buy making my own. The parts will go on Ebay to help the budget.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
7/3/09 3:32 p.m.
snipes wrote: My progress is slow but I am learning new things on the way. My aluminum welding is getting much better. I had these parts to mount the POV but need the practice welding and thought I could save some money buy making my own. The parts will go on Ebay to help the budget.

Despite the warning labels, cocktails and welding do, in fact, mix. Well done.

docwyte
docwyte New Reader
7/4/09 11:40 a.m.

Wow, this is a seriously cool project.

vazbmw
vazbmw New Reader
7/4/09 2:06 p.m.

nice welding

snipes
snipes New Reader
8/5/09 2:50 p.m.

So I got around to lowering the car and mounting the bumper. I did not do the suspension rebuild I have planed. I have all the parts but I just wanted a quick fix. The 6" tire/fender gap was killing me. This looks slammed now but it is just a one spline drop and I will raise it up with the adjusters. For now it looks cool in the basement.

I also have most of the fuel and oil plumbing done but nothing that looks good in pictures.

splitime
splitime Reader
8/5/09 3:32 p.m.
snipes wrote: in the basement.

Uh oh... a basement build!

snipes
snipes New Reader
8/20/09 3:35 p.m.

So I had to find a reason to post as this is my 100th since the counter reset. The fuel system is almost done. I should be starting the electical this weekend. We'll have to see how that goes...

andrave
andrave Reader
8/20/09 3:57 p.m.

this is badass and gives me many bad ideas.

youre my hero

keep up the good work.

boxsterbuddy
boxsterbuddy New Reader
8/20/09 4:31 p.m.
ZOOMiata wrote: 912 Turbo.

..a real 912 Turbo.

http://www.britainsmith.com/Porsche/912Project/index.htm

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
8/20/09 4:54 p.m.

What was involved in mating the Subie motor to the 911 transaxle?

I've got an SVX motor laying around, and a Corvair.

Any thoughts, AngryC??

snipes
snipes Reader
8/20/09 8:01 p.m.

That sounds great. Call these guys http://www.kennedyeng.com/ I did not see anything listed for a Corvair but I bet they have done it.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/20/09 10:29 p.m.
SVreX wrote: What was involved in mating the Subie motor to the 911 transaxle? I've got an SVX motor laying around, and a Corvair. Any thoughts, AngryC??

just one: what's taken you so long?

klipless
klipless New Reader
11/11/09 2:50 p.m.

Any update?

craighardy
craighardy
11/17/09 11:53 p.m.

I was following your old thread on NASIOC and just found this more up to date thread here. How's it going? I just started a similar project myself. You can check it out here http://www.hybrid9s.com/showthread.php?t=75

Craig

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
41DSmnqtZKyFSGmTV7B6RFpXV6SNdueXp1A4BMilLlGDYiyr98T1Ydwo8Rrx3yo2