Brust
Brust Reader
2/1/10 7:28 p.m.

Looking for educated (not: "it feels less bouncy...") opinions on replacement struts for the wrx wagon. The contenders that I can tell are:

Koni inserts ($700/set) Tokico D-Spec ($600/set) Tokico HP ($350/set) KYB AGX ($550/set)

Intended usage: At most the occasional autocross/track day. I'm really looking for good value, and to tighten the suspension up a bit. I plan on sticking with stock springs to maintain ride height and get a Hotckis sway bar set and call it good.

I was thinking Koni or D-spec but then realized that this is mainly the wife's car, and the chances of me actually ever using the adjustability is pretty low... but I likes the racy parts. I'm thinking I'll probably settle for the HP's (heard they are like the d-specs on soft)- anyone have any recommendation or opinions on the matter? Am I going to regret not having the adjustability?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
2/1/10 7:40 p.m.

Hard to beat Koni and they are a GRM sponsor/advertiser

Travis_K
Travis_K Dork
2/1/10 8:14 p.m.

Its only an opinion, but most people seem to prefer the KYB AGX. Tokico HPs are pretty much just incorrectly valved stock struts, and konis are good, but expensive and dont have a terribly pleasant ride compared to other choices.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
2/1/10 8:20 p.m.

Does anyone know what spring rate can the AGX's can handle?

fifty
fifty Reader
2/1/10 8:22 p.m.
Brust wrote: Looking for educated (not: "it feels less bouncy...") opinions on replacement struts for the wrx wagon. The contenders that I can tell are: Am I going to regret not having the adjustability?

the adjustability is nice to fine tune under / oversteer.

I've got Konis now (albeit on coilovers) - they have an excellent reputation and I've had no probl,ems with them. A previous daily driver had the AGX's on stock coils- they were still going strong after 60,000 miles and were a cost-effective choice - I really liked them.

There are differences in the valving of the two which translates into difference in comfort and performance, but unless you want to upgrade to a more serious suspension set up at a later date (Konis can be shortened, revalved, made double adjustable etc etc), my personal choice would be the KYB AGX.

abumason
abumason New Reader
2/1/10 8:52 p.m.

Per used AGX's on the Saaburu with a bigger sway froma WRX sedan - probably not a bad choice - especially if it's the wife's car.

See here for the whole write-up.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/2005-saab-9-2x-linear/updates/

Brust
Brust Reader
2/3/10 8:12 a.m.

thanks for the link. I was spitballing today and found that LTB motorsport and Tire Rack have the koni inserts on sale for $600/set. LTB offers free shipping but I don't know if they are a GRM advertiser.... anyone know? I've emailed Turn in concepts, as I know they are- asking to match the price with free shipping. Don't know if that's a dick move or not, but I'd like to support the smaller GRM advertisers.

grinch77
grinch77 Reader
2/3/10 9:54 p.m.

You will lose some negative camber when going to a sedan strut the wagons are a little different.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QNGkbRUw4huzdyg2vdOUV9K1ocnfoFCVfAQXKRxB2S9LqglXmCXtnvl9upuV2IFE