1 2
Lancer007
Lancer007 Reader
3/12/14 9:20 p.m.

Its scary that people drive their cars around like this, and are barely aware of how poorly they maintain their cars.

http://www.reddit.com/r/justrolledintotheshop

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
3/12/14 9:26 p.m.

"Normal" people take their car in for an oil change every 8000 miles or so, might check the tires if they're visibly low and beyond that, only does anything else if it stops working entirely for whatever they need it for, starts making a noise the radio wont cover up, or some state inspection racket orders them to.

Why do you think new cars have big plastic covers over the motor and whatnot? The typical owner will never do anything there, making it less stressful (and reducing mistakes) locating the washer filler, the only thing under there they care about/interact with.

Lancer007
Lancer007 Reader
3/12/14 10:03 p.m.

In reply to Kenny_McCormic:

With the crowd I hang out with I forget how unmechanical and inept most vehicle owners are unfortunately.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/13/14 7:55 a.m.

Huh it's not even as bad as usual today. I remember I once saw a post on there titled "what are tires and why do I need them?" with a pic of a car driving on a bare steelie, the "outer hoop" was about half worn down.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
3/13/14 7:59 a.m.

I am always scared walking past people's car and looking at tires in parking lots.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
3/13/14 8:33 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: I am always scared walking past people's car and looking at tires in parking lots.

Yes. Also its surprising how many cars on the road are missing one or more lugnuts.

GameboyRMH
3/13/14 8:35 a.m.

Once saw a Suzuki micro-van that had two lugs on each wheel

When I drove my Trueno donor car home, it had a nasty vibration under braking. The shop that sold it sent me off with one wheel only having two lugs...next to each other

ssswitch
ssswitch New Reader
3/13/14 8:44 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin:

If I had to guess, locking lugnuts have killed more people than any other modification. I see tons of cars which are missing their 5th (or 4th) lugnut on every wheel, probably because Joe Blow's Tire Shop air chiseled them off the stud and then asked for more money to replace them with acorns.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
3/13/14 9:15 a.m.

Being in the car-biz for the last 13 continuous years, its amazing what you see. Kinda scary at the same time.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UltraDork
3/13/14 9:19 a.m.

Isn't there something in driving school about a "walk-around"?

GameboyRMH wrote: When I drove my Trueno donor car home, it had a nasty vibration under braking. The shop that sold it sent me off with one wheel only having two lugs...next to each other
mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/13/14 9:24 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: I am always scared walking past people's car and looking at tires in parking lots.

I put two new tyres on the back of my mom's rendezvous this past fall when I noticed they were nearly bald. Would have been very dangerous with all the snow we got this winter

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
3/13/14 9:30 a.m.

I'm actually ashamed of my wife's car right now. I let the rear tires get down to 3/32 in the center, 1 on the outer edge. Damn crappy Kumho's. they only lasted 48k miles on 2 different cars. You'd think that a $41 a piece tire would last longer.

GameboyRMH
3/13/14 9:36 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: Isn't there something in driving school about a "walk-around"?
GameboyRMH wrote: When I drove my Trueno donor car home, it had a nasty vibration under braking. The shop that sold it sent me off with one wheel only having two lugs...next to each other

Yeah I missed it, but the lugs were hidden inside the big dumb rims the car was driving on at the time. What's the shop's excuse?

Leafy
Leafy Reader
3/13/14 10:02 a.m.

This is why I wish state safety inspections were more thorough and common. You Florida people must see the worst E36 M3.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/13/14 10:33 a.m.

i'm guilty of it currently (no excuse for it) yet my reasoning is that my commute is less then 10 miles daily. Now that it should be getting warmer i'll get everything sorted

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
3/13/14 11:19 a.m.

I'm keeping this link for reference.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
3/13/14 11:28 a.m.
Leafy wrote: This is why I wish state safety inspections were more thorough and common. You Florida people must see the worst E36 M3.

I haven't noticed cars being in worse shape down here, but I frequently see pick-up trucks in ridiculously neglected shape. These are usually used by tree trimmers---stacked 15ft high with trimmings in a truck so worn out and rusty that the bed seems about ready to fall off. I see these things nearly every day. I'm always amazed that they still move under their own power.

To be honest though.....I saw much worse when I lived in IL. Back then we didn't have inspections in my county, and the combination of rust and neglect was amazing. Yes....I was guilty of it as a yout, with my 78 Nova's subframe so rusty that the doors would open randomly. My seats weren't bolted down either......which made for an exciting ride when the door flew open at 70mph mid-corner.

Ah--- to be young and immortal again....

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
3/13/14 12:39 p.m.

Well, luckily I fixed my main maintenance issue. I looked at the take off's and the left rear (that last month was on hte right front) had NOT inner tread block. It was smooth.completely smooth. Damn.... no wonder she was complaining it was squirrelly in the ice/rain/snow yesterday.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
3/13/14 12:53 p.m.

In reply to Joe Gearin:

If its McHenry county, they STILL don't. Scrappers are the scariest ones. When scrap in the ridiculously high cage is in better shape then the truck hauling it...

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
3/13/14 1:45 p.m.

This was on the first page, and is my favorite "Ricers Shouldn't Be Allowed To Modify Cars" picture ever.

Don't run a mechanical oil gauge inside the cockpit, kids:

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
3/13/14 2:13 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: In reply to Joe Gearin: If its McHenry county, they STILL don't. Scrappers are the scariest ones. When scrap in the ridiculously high cage is in better shape then the truck hauling it...

sure enough---- I lived in McHenry county!

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose HalfDork
3/13/14 2:32 p.m.

Just the images

More cringe per minute this way.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
3/13/14 5:54 p.m.

In reply to Sky_Render:

No, dont run a mech oil gauge into the cockpit with the crappy provided nylon tubing rubbing on stuff.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/13/14 7:10 p.m.

I did it with a metal line once.. still leaked eventually. Electric is the only way to go

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
3/13/14 7:20 p.m.

In reply to Sky_Render:

I've ran plenty of mechanical oil pressure gauges. Generally I like run copper line, but I used the nylon also without ever having a failure.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pwrbyECCkoUUPuv7NBGLsxxesKwea2yeLjRNz4lb3DWsyZAa9NIjvjGK6dxi0fNc