1 2
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/31/15 9:41 p.m.

Run away.

Toebra
Toebra New Reader
4/1/15 3:07 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: Install Subaru 4 cylinder. Add 914 badges. Troll.

this, but I bet the transmission is boned also.

D2W
D2W New Reader
4/1/15 10:41 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: Install Subaru 4 cylinder. Add 914 badges. Troll.

I approve this message.

DanyloS
DanyloS New Reader
4/1/15 10:50 a.m.

Agree with the general consensus that a swap is likely more hassle than it's worth. (Easier to buy something that's good to start with).

Subaru turbo-4 sounds fun but then you need to deal with the intercooler and turbo plumbing issues for a car that's originally natrually aspirated. Might be easier and cheaper to do a Subaru flat-6... 250+ hp right out of the box. Don't know about dimensions but would expect it to be a similar fit.

Definitely will need a lift or long term access to a lift.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
4/1/15 2:05 p.m.

there's a 98 here for $2000

http://986forum.com/forums/boxsters-sale-wanted/56506-98-boxster-great-condition-blown-motor-only-68k.html

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
4/1/15 2:13 p.m.

I'd only approach it as a swap for $2k or less buy in having done a few before and finding a decent deal on a JY 3.4 motor. It is amazing how a pretty straight forward swap can consume a metric ass load of time and money on little things no one bothers to mention in their "I put a Duramax in my Fiat 500 over a weekend and you can too!" threads. Like... that it doesn't work or that part of the straight forward bit is having the Porsche engine management tools that cost 10k in your garage already.

Just buy a good one with a receipt for an IMS repair or bargain accordingly if it's not something you want to spend a year to get running again.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
4/1/15 2:42 p.m.

I'd say Miata is the answer here..

chiodos
chiodos Reader
4/1/15 2:46 p.m.
NordicSaab wrote: Little known fact The transmission in the boxster/cayman is an audi part. it should bolt right up to either an audi v8 or turbo 5v... just a thought.

I actually know a guy with a running driving audi 4.2 boxter. Quite the car

Gunslinger
Gunslinger New Reader
4/1/15 4:50 p.m.
chiodos wrote:
NordicSaab wrote: Little known fact The transmission in the boxster/cayman is an audi part. it should bolt right up to either an audi v8 or turbo 5v... just a thought.
I actually know a guy with a running driving audi 4.2 boxter. Quite the car

Not that any swap is easy, but this is the one I would do, apparently it bolts up, and the motor is designed to not need much support, and is pretty compact.

Toebra
Toebra New Reader
4/3/15 12:17 a.m.

Wow, a V-8 swap that is an Audi, not an LS motor. I bet it is wicked fast. Oops, old news, sounds pretty good autocrossing anyway

Rennlist 4.2 Boxster thread

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JKaQNHze8UsExPXrgDzQiOveGUCtbiyqcIvUeHTy3DOBGvZjSGg3wwT0RGVU8Vpo