belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
6/13/08 3:57 p.m.

'88 Fiero!!

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
6/13/08 11:35 p.m.
belteshazzar wrote: '88 Fiero!!

Uh, no. While the Fiero can be a decent car, it does not compare with the other two. A better comparison would be a 914.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/14/08 1:12 a.m.

Lancia Scorpion... a car that is very much on my list

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
6/14/08 6:11 a.m.

The irony of the Scorpion is that it really isn't significantly better than the X1/9. Yeah, you can make it have more power thanks to the twin cam, but that's really it's only advantage. Though it looks larger, it's actually about the same size. Parts availability is poor and expensive. Having driven both, I still give the nod to the Fiat.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand None
6/14/08 11:40 a.m.

From what I've heard a Honda B16 with the hyrdo tranny fits surprisingly well. This is the rounte I'm planning on eventually going with my X.

I've seen pictures of at least one with a 4age stuffed in to though.

Having driven both my '74 X and my friends 85 MR2 I have to say you can't go wrong either way. The MR2 will be much more reliable though and performance struts for the X and not available. Coilover kits can be had but cost more than an entire X usually. Wheels are also hard to get unless you stick with stock alloys or special order something to fit the 4 x 98 pattern. Don't get me started on trying to find 13-inch performance tires.

Having said all that I'm still happy I bought mine. The Bertone wedge styling just can't be beat!

Coupefan
Coupefan New Reader
6/14/08 2:02 p.m.

To cover a couple of points. Not much rust on California X1/9s, garaged or not. But I can see how an unprotected car could get damaged in wetter parts of the country (or world). As for the reliability, the tight quarters of an X works against it. I've found people tend to skimp on maintenance, since much of it is a PITA, which leads to a domino effect of breakage. Look, mine's got 289K on the clock, engine just recently rebuilt (my woops). It never made me miss a class while in college. And come to think about it, the car did get me a few dates when I was single.

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/14/08 4:12 p.m.

Wheels aren't too bad if you use offset lug nuts/lug bolts to allow 4x100mm wheels. 15x7's with 195/45 or 195/50 15's will fit fine with a little massaging to the front quarter panels. Obviously much more than that and you'll need to get serious about body work.

Struts are a pain for sure. Brakes seem to be another maintenance headache. They seem to work really well but can get finicky if not taken care of.

they are italian cars and as such tend to have personality's. They really hate to sit and deserve to be driven.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
6/14/08 4:27 p.m.
mblommel wrote:

Four spoke Revolutions FTW.

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 HalfDork
6/14/08 8:35 p.m.

So, let's say theoretically I know of this Mk1 MR2 that's been sitting outside a local garage... and hasn't been inspected since '06.

Body is pristine, has aftermarket wheels (black, no less) and a big "4AG inside" swoosh on the window. Appears to be missing the louvers/covers on either side of the engine hatch. Otherwise minty fresh in arrest me red.

What should one offer for such a beast, knowing nothing else of it's history?

porschenut
porschenut New Reader
6/15/08 7:18 a.m.

I got a MK1 with dead fuel pump, bad wheel bearings and a mildly crunched front fender for 500. For that or less you might have a good deal on your hands.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/15/08 8:58 a.m.

$500 is the standard "needs work" MR2 price.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RvZj2NNIN3wPKzTzJauXILk5IgLuDklJ2BuySvixedPrpfWgZL5Wt6BenVffOI7A