1 2

In reply to wae :

Just read the fine print.  That is nuts.  

ian sane
ian sane GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/1/22 12:18 p.m.

x202! I have a manual trans R I'd sell you cheap...

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/1/22 12:24 p.m.

I would absolutely NOT purchase a Mercedes in the year range that you are looking at.  Be very wary of the balance shaft gear failures and guide issues.  I think these were in the 3.5 V6 and the v8 cars from 2004 through 2008.  They made the gears out of soft metal and they basically wore away causing the motors to jump time and go boom.  It is a 4-6K fix at a dealer.  There is a specific range for the problem.  Runaway from these cars if there is no documentation that it has been fixed if the car is in the vin range.

https://www.mercedesmedic.com/check-my-mercedes-benz-for-balance-shaft-issue-by-vin-m272273/

Basically, I would stay away from the Daimler Chrysler years when the cars were built to a price point and not to a quality standard that cost what it cost.  

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/1/22 2:45 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I think that article is a bit dishonest. For the v8 it was a 2007 only issue. The w220 v8 were m113's which were unaffected and that is what Curtis is asking about. The w221 v8 cars from 2008+ are rather reliable drivetrain wise.

Also, we've discussed avoiding 2000-2002 cars. And diesels (Wae) lol

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/1/22 2:45 p.m.
fanfoy said:
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

As many of you know, I've been searching for an X308 Jag in either XJR or SuperV8 trim for three years now.  The first problem is that I'm picky.  The second problem is I don't want to spend big money.  The short version is, I love those cars, and the Ford years were pretty good to Jag in terms of parts cost and availability.

In my searches it keeps throwing in a random other car, like an A8, W220 S-class, or BMW 7.  The S-class is intriguing.  I've started to read up on them and it's suggested to get one after 2003 but I haven't figured out why.

Goal here is luxo road-trip cruiser and something that gets at least slightly better MPG than my 16mpg van.

I know you're all going to say "why not X350, or why not Volvo?"  The answer is.... I don't want them.  At all.  Ever.  I've been hyper-focused on a specific Jag for three years, so just be impressed that I'm considering one other car.

Will I hate buying parts for the Merc?  Will it be a constant nightmare?  I'm basically asking for a buyer's guide that compares a Supercharged X308 to a W220.

For comparison, here are some I'm looking at:

Jag XJR ... but this guy is asking $12,500.  I'd gladly give him $8000
Super V8 but it sold before I could haggle
VDP, not supercharged, but it's low enough mileage that I have 60k miles before the transmission loses its mind

Then stuff like this pops up and makes me wonder:

Pretty sweet W220

I don't know if I missed something, but that first white XJR that you listed is now asking 6000$. At that price I'd jump on it.

It's a lie.  $6000 down, finance $9000 at a shady BHPH place.  His cash price is $12,500

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/1/22 2:48 p.m.
Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to fanfoy :

I agree.  At $6000, seems like a decent buy.  That may be post nicosil lining.  Also check for the chain guides.  If not, it's on the list of fixes.  From my own perspective, the x308 is tight, interior wise.  That's one reason I went with the x350.  Prefer the styling of the x308, just a tad.  Overall, I'm very happy with my car.  As a car, it performs very well.  I average around 20 mpg, mixed driving, with the NA V8.

I'm not concerned about Nikasil at this point.  That was mostly an incompatibility with US fuels and sulfur levels which have been removed from fuels.  The general consensus on Nikasil is that if it has lasted long enough to get through the old fuel, it's fine forever.

And definitely aware of the tensioners, which is one of the reasons I'm looking at lower mileage.  That gives me a little time.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iO46tCsW5EnPLN5MPAXv03BJnjx6J90ugXBBON7BBzS1jj5wLoO2HzivZXjWmUkM