LuxInterior
LuxInterior Reader
2/12/15 6:55 p.m.

The rear shocks on my daily '96 Cherokee are dead. So dead, that every time I go over a bump, I hear a thud. I'm guessing that bumps make the wheels, tires and stick axle get slightly airborne.

The last time I put shocks on the car, I went for basic NAPA units. They made no real difference in how the car drove. Ride height is stock. I'm thinking KYB or Bilstein. Other good options?

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
2/12/15 7:30 p.m.

Rancho stuff is cheap and decent and can be found anywhere. I preferred OME (Old Man Emu) stuff for XJs. Not too expensive, good valving rates for an XJ, and lasts forever.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/12/15 7:34 p.m.

Bilsteins are good. Tokico used to make a decent cheap shock, it was green. (Descriptive, huh?)

I like the Ranchos as well. The RS5000s can be a little rough but not awful.

Our blue one has the adjustable RS9000XLs and we like them a lot. They run about $75 each from Advance with smart discount code usage.

ridinwitcj73
ridinwitcj73 New Reader
2/12/15 8:07 p.m.

I really like my bilstein's.

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
2/12/15 8:11 p.m.

I had some RS5000s and then switched to the silver Bilsteins, which were much better in both ride and handling. The Old Man Emu stuff on my Land Rover was also excellent.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
2/12/15 8:12 p.m.

I loved my Rusty's Off Road's

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-suspension/jeep-shocks-struts-mounts/jeep-xj-cherokee-84-01-shocks/

bigmackloud
bigmackloud New Reader
2/13/15 7:56 a.m.

Hey I had a '96 XJ too! It was my baby from age 16 to 28.

I had some Skyjacker Nitro shocks for a while. No complaints, run about $45. When I lifted it, I ran the Rusty's Off-Road Shocks. Again, no complaints.

The Bilsteins are probably the nicest but are going to be more expensive. I've also heard positive things about the Old Man Emu (OME) shocks.

But the reality it, it's still going to drive like a Jeep with rear leaf springs. I wouldn't over invest in shocks because as you experienced before, they're not going to significantly change the ride quality.

trucke
trucke HalfDork
2/13/15 9:59 a.m.

XJ? I was thinking this. Until I read the post saying Rancho makes shocks for them/ Interesting when Googling XJ, it takes four pages of Jaguars before a Jeep appears.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/13/15 10:13 a.m.

You should have seen heads explode on here when i asked about "Towing with an XJ" a couple years ago.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/13/15 11:33 a.m.

I have Bilstein 5100s on my Wrangler. I am very happy with them. I'll second the OME stuff as well. You can't go wrong with either of them.

I don't know what shocks were on my XJ. I doubt it would of made any difference since every rubber part of the suspension was toast. Hey, while you are in there...

Fobroader
Fobroader Reader
2/13/15 11:36 a.m.

OME or Bilstein 5100s

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
2/13/15 2:49 p.m.

I'll dissent and say Rancho 5000s suck, I've had them on my TJ for a decade +, they sucked when new, and still suck. A pressure treated 2x4 cut to length will provide equal or greater amounts of dampening.

I stuck some Gabriel Pro Guards on SWMBO's brother's Jeep, very budget minded solution, great for what they are, don't know how long they'll last.

Bilstein 5000 series, or OMEs are what I'd be putting on a stock ride height XJ.

I lifted our XJ and seriously considered Bilstein 5100/5150, but went with OEM <10 mile JK Sahara/Sport take-offs instead, hard to beat free shocks.

trucke
trucke HalfDork
2/13/15 2:58 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: You should have seen heads explode on here when i asked about "Towing with an XJ" a couple years ago.

I was one of those.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VxVHUqE9i5qOg47sPyivGzm00gSjlqhKX7e1uxTZnQ9qnR7BA3DsJNHt7wFT1Za2