1 2
angusmf
angusmf Reader
5/20/10 2:23 p.m.

Yet Another Challenge Car

I have one of these:

and one of these:

And I only have one spare parking space. The reasonable solution is to keep the Scirocco body and the Quattro engine and rear end and gorilla glue them together.

I've talked about this a little before, I think. I'm going to remove the front diff and lock the center, giving the desired RWD. The Audi motor makes 162 hp stock, which is not that exciting, but that's at 5 psi. Internet wisdom says you can run 15-18 psi before the turbo and exhaust manifold completely run out of breath. Even with a healthly dose of pessimism, I should expect at least 200 hp at the crank. In theory, the car could come out weighing less than a ton, so it should be a giggle regardless.

I have the Audi, which is in great shape. I also have a limited slip diff from a V8 Quattro, which came from a very nice sometime GRMer. I also have some Bilstein Sports and Neuespeed "race" springs for an A2. I'll be swapping to A2 spindles to relocate the steering rack below the engine/trans. I'm gambling that the diff and suspension will be more valuable than the same money spent on engine goodies. I have been pondering liquid intercooling and nitrous, though.

An MS1 will do the fuel and spark unless I have to keep the Audi stuff for budget purposes. Using MS will require digifant injector cups, injectors, a homemade fuel rail (ala' Corey,) and so on.

Some big hurdles will be the steering rack placement and the width of the rear end. I have some ideas knocking around for narrowing it, but I might just make some bitchin' flares. I'm also hoping to find someone to trade me their 5000 transmission for my 200, since it has a locking diff. That would save me the hassle of tearing it down and welding the torsen.

And this is my wife's dog. I think she looks like Mr. Burns in this picture.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
5/20/10 2:33 p.m.

wow. definitely watching this thread...

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/20/10 2:36 p.m.

The dog definitely looks like Mr. Burns

DukeOfUndersteer
5/20/10 2:45 p.m.
angusmf wrote:

angusmf
angusmf Reader
5/20/10 2:47 p.m.

Is that Kathy Griffin?

DukeOfUndersteer
5/20/10 2:51 p.m.
angusmf wrote: Is that Kathy Griffin?

haha, Andy Dick, Old School.Thought that shirt looked familiar...

angusmf
angusmf Reader
5/20/10 2:52 p.m.

In reply to DukeOfUndersteer:

There used to be a joke going around that Kathy Griffin was really Andy Dick in drag.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/20/10 3:14 p.m.
angusmf wrote: In reply to DukeOfUndersteer: There used to be a joke going around that Kathy Griffin was really Andy Dick in drag.

Actually Andy Dick is Kathy Griffin without makeup....

turboswede
5/20/10 3:20 p.m.

Oh and Angus?

Think Porsche 924 for the steering rack. They're front engined, front steer and are essentially a RHD A1 Rabbit rack flipped. They also use A1 front suspension lightly modified for their use :)

They also use an Audi motor and some years used an Audi 5-speed mounted outback on a torquetube.

I think an Audi V6/V8 would bolt up to either with a little work ;) I like the boosted 5-pot idea though!

angusmf
angusmf Reader
5/20/10 3:23 p.m.

Good tip! Where do I get one cheap?

---edit---

And while we're at it, do you know where I could find some pictures that would show me the 924 setup? I can't quite visualize how this works.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy HalfDork
5/20/10 6:51 p.m.

remember, box flair make everything look beter!

turboswede
5/20/10 7:22 p.m.

There's a ton of info on the 924board.org....

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/20/10 9:35 p.m.

Excellent.

angusmf
angusmf Reader
5/26/10 9:21 a.m.

I looked into the 924 steering rack situation and understand what turboswede was getting at. The 924 mounts the rack in front of the subframe, thus the need for the "backwards" rack. I don't think I'll be doing this. I believe the rack would wind up too low and/or too far forward. I read that the 924 already has bump steer issues, so it would only get worse here. The Audi oil pan has a sort of cut-out at the rear of the block which should be a good place for the Rabbit rack to nestle. Only the mock-up will tell.

I actually have the rear diff and the two-piece driveshaft from the V8 in my possesion. I laid it on the floor under my Rabbit and did some measuring. I was hoping to eliminate the joint in the middle and move the CV from one tube to the end of the other and have a one-piece. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to set the engine back far enough to reach. If that's true, I'll have to get a longer tube or shorten both ends of the two-piece. I gather that's harder and more expensive to balance, so I'll probably go with the longer tube. Bummer. I was hoping to shorten the shaft myself and then have it balanced in order to save some dough. I won't know any of this for sure until I have all the pieces in front of me and start mocking things up. I'll be bringing the Audi down from NH this weekend, and the Scirocco should arrive mid-June.

It may turn out not to be possible to section the rear subframe enough because the diff mount is offset to one side. I think I could maybe get an inch on each side. That may not be enough depending on how much shorter the front axles are.

In budget news, I found an old garden hose in my yard with one end crushed and held together with electrical tape. I'm going to use that for my air-water intercooler and call it a free part. Now I need to find an old cooler to use as my ice water resevoir.

turboswede
5/26/10 12:01 p.m.

Angus, the 924 steering rack isnt' the reason for the bumpsteer, the fact that it has strut based suspension is the reason for bumpsteer. All strut based cars have bumpsteer by their very design.

The 924 folks resolve this the same way the 944 guys do, using spacers on the outer tie-rods. This only works within the travel range that the suspension normally moves in, so the added spring rate and lowered suspension help reduce the wheel travel to a range that allows the workaround to work.

Still, it sounds like you might be able to leave it where it is, reducing the need to do as much fabrication.

angusmf
angusmf Reader
5/26/10 12:51 p.m.

I got the impression that it was particularly bad on this car. I assumed that was because the rack sits low relative to the steering arms and thus has an undesirable angle relative to the control arms.

EricM
EricM Dork
5/26/10 1:36 p.m.
angusmf wrote: And this is my wife's dog. I think she looks like Mr. Burns in this picture.

Your wife looks nothing like Mr. Burns. Wait, oh, the dog... never mind.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/26/10 3:24 p.m.
turboswede wrote:
angusmf wrote: In reply to DukeOfUndersteer: There used to be a joke going around that Kathy Griffin was really Andy Dick in drag.
Actually Andy Dick is Kathy Griffin without makeup....

I think it was Dave Attell who referred to her as Tranny Bonaduce.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/26/10 4:32 p.m.

it's funny.. I would have no issues with you doing this to a second gen Scirroco.. but I see so few first gens, I kinda don't want to see you do it

barnca
barnca Reader
5/26/10 4:41 p.m.

there was a guy in ct who used a quattro drive train and an old busch series v6.. the thing was stupid fast.. mated to a scirroco body.. he ran the hillclimb series... i think his last name was rutan.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Reader
5/26/10 4:47 p.m.

A little inspiration

barnca
barnca Reader
5/26/10 4:52 p.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHWHQU3gP8c

quick video of rutans car.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Reader
5/26/10 5:50 p.m.

That's the Okemo start

angusmf
angusmf Reader
5/26/10 6:08 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: it's funny.. I would have no issues with you doing this to a second gen Scirroco.. but I see so few first gens, I kinda don't want to see you do it

I hear you, and I'm kinda feeling it too. But if it was a 2nd gen, I wouldn't be interested. They're ugly cars. Anyway, the heart wants what it wants.

angusmf
angusmf Reader
5/28/10 2:36 p.m.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VNUlwuL80Wu5bMOnYxrnKeYHAOhrMlOw2dMLX3pD4DIch2LVOQmSBadCbKVtC5Gu