1 2
nlevine (Forum Supporter)
nlevine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/14/21 2:32 p.m.

Wondering if this would fit in place of the rear transaxle in my project Porsche 924. Put the batteries up front where the engine used to be. No torque tube required...

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/14/21 2:49 p.m.

In reply to nlevine (Forum Supporter) :

I wonder if Tesla "stick" batteries would fit on-edge in the tunnel.

jr02518
jr02518 HalfDork
4/14/21 3:04 p.m.

This might be sacrilege, but I can see my MGA Coupe sitting on top of a scaled down ICON chaise.  Yes, with tires that fit under the stock fenders!

Having the batteries look like a twin cam engine, priceless.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/14/21 3:13 p.m.

I would happily dump the low compression almost-malaise era 350 in my El Camino for an EV conversion kit. Call it the E-Camino. I would probably pay between $5-10k for a solid kit. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/14/21 5:36 p.m.
nlevine (Forum Supporter) said:

Wondering if this would fit in place of the rear transaxle in my project Porsche 924. Put the batteries up front where the engine used to be. No torque tube required...

You are reading my mind except I have an 89 951

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
4/15/21 9:36 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

The filter is there for exactly why you think- Tesla's have them on their gearboxes too.

If by stick batteries, you mean the ones they did for Mercedes in the late 2000s? Probably, but I don't remember what they had for cooling and they're essentially outdated now; but there are tons of packs like the Lithium-Irons from buses that are thin slabs that are far more resistant to temperature.

Toyspyder
Toyspyder New Reader
4/17/21 8:00 a.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

I have what might be the perfect car for it. It is a Toyota MR2 Spyder that currently has a Yamaha engineered 2ZZ-GE swap in it. I could pull out that engine and then drop in this Yamaha unit, put in battery packs in the frunk and where the gas tank was as well as the extra space in the engine bay. Anyone want to finance me? LOL.

Vajingo
Vajingo HalfDork
4/17/21 10:28 a.m.

So pit stops are now going to be battery pack swaps and tires. No more fuel guy. Now they need a nerd with a soldering iron. Neato

malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/17/21 10:41 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I was looking up used Leaf parts and its almost in touch.  If I can be into a decent conversion parts wise for a couple grand Id seriously consider it for one of my Tercels

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
20u65unPYCxpiMx1ikEHc5hadSI1UE0bXDb6XUsGmmugdAUQ8fjEH6nyJ0rGn2gz