1 2
snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh HalfDork
1/10/18 2:56 a.m.

Let's don't forget that, on dirt ovals, rear tire stagger works with the solid rear axle, and helps them make the "tail out" attitude work. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/10/18 7:08 a.m.
Suprf1y said:
z31maniac said:
Suprf1y said:

And I saw it the other way. Diffs are typically very low maintenance but what do you think chain and sprocket life will be with that amount of power and that weight?

Sportbikes, obviously much lighter, with quality components and regular cleaning and lubing typically last 10k+ miles before needing replacement. 

Exactly

A diff should never need replacement and requires service very infrequently.

It also makes gearing changes incredibly cheap and quick, so that's another advantage.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/10/18 10:24 a.m.
fasted58 said:

Solid rear axle on dirt. Simple stupid and tire slip won't tax parts. Some 1L MC engine mini sprint builders tried a rear IRS before Y2K w/ no significant gains. That thought was abandoned as far as I know although it sounds great on paper.

Another story in road racing or auto-x tho. Locked rear w/ tire slip vs diff w/ minimal slip (as long as the tire stays planted) , opinions are still debated. Modern tire compounds will tax a locked rear CV and hub components on asphalt more than an open or biasing diff as compared to tire compounds of 20 years ago. That's the problem I ran into w/ a solid spool drive tube and 50 plus extra horsepower. NX600 CV axle splines and hubs would wear like crazy w/ newer compounds.

I went from this solid drive tube w/ single 10.5" disc :

to a VW Golf open diff w/ 8.5" discs. The diff assembly added at least 15 pounds rotational mass over the aluminum drive tube, not counting the additional weight of bearing blocks, mounts and calipers etc. It was getting heavier but the axles, CV's and hubs lived. Mucho planning and machine work there.

I still have my prints dated 1/91 for Quaife Golf internals in machined aluminum housing w/ chain drive. 

E36 M3, I coulda been the first kid on the block w/ a chain driven Quaife.  devil

Michael Quaife had said there was much interest in Europe as well as the US and they would look into developing a chain driven unit. They didn't appear till a few years later but w/ smaller Fiat internals as I remember. Pretty much the standard now. 

The old VW Golf/ Rabbit CV's, hubs and axles should be capable of 200 hp. Moser cut and splined my diff output stubs. 

Do you still have that car?

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
1/10/18 3:28 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

No, I sold it to a shop near Watkins Glen. It was raced from there for several years then sold to a racer in Wisconsin. It's vintage now.

I should call the guy to catch up on it.

Old car at Elkhart Lake Vintage w/ current owner

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KpucR325hJK11qRH9iZTR376cEow2J4kaoqbcQ7imQpvRt497D350n3BTSyTug0S