Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/22/20 6:10 p.m.

I rolled up to a light this evening on the way home, and spotted one of the nicest NB Miatas I've ever seen.

Beautiful blue paint, matching hard top, and the 10 AE badge on the fender. I called out to the driver, "Nice 10th anniversary!"

His jaw dropped. "You know what it is!"

"Yeah, I've owned a couple of Miatas, and autocross one all the time."

Still shocked, "I can't believe you know what it is!"

The light changed and he got on the highway.

I hope I made his day.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/22/20 6:12 p.m.

There are still a lot of people who don't even know a Miata is a Mazda. The 10AE was a niche model that came out two decades ago, so yeah, not that many people can spot one.

Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/22/20 7:11 p.m.

Blue.
More blue.
So Blue.
Blue everywhere.
Wow.

Oh, and they got the 6 speed/Torsen package.

That's what I remember about them.

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin SuperDork
9/22/20 7:56 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

There are still a lot of people who don't even know a Miata is a Mazda. The 10AE was a niche model that came out two decades ago, so yeah, not that many people can spot one.

Truth.

When I used to work at the hospital, had a cute nurse stare when I pulled up in my old '95 Miata and asked if it was a Maserati.

I joked that it was more like a Mazdarati.

No further interest from her after that exchange. laugh

newold_m (Forum Supporter)
newold_m (Forum Supporter) New Reader
9/23/20 1:11 a.m.
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) said:

Blue.
More blue.
So Blue.
Blue everywhere.
Wow.

Oh, and they got the 6 speed/Torsen package.

That's what I remember about them.

Yeah, one of the first things I did when I had mine was to swap the steering wheel, gear knob and floor mats to black ones. Didn't mind the seats but rest was too much blue. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/23/20 2:56 a.m.

I test drove a 10AE when they were new. The salesman was an old guy & former Porsche racer, so we took it out for a good long flogging - right until the tornado sirens turned on. I was seriously thinking about trading my 97 GSX for it, then my (first)wife called me on the way home saying "I'm pregnant". Needless to say I didn't get the 10AE. 

03Panther
03Panther Dork
9/23/20 3:04 a.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

I test drove a 10AE when they were new. The salesman was an old guy & former Porsche racer, so we took it out for a good long flogging - right until the tornado sirens turned on. I was seriously thinking about trading my 97 GSX for it, then my (first)wife called me on the way home saying "I'm pregnant". Needless to say I didn't get the 10AE. 

Do you consider that a good trade? smiley

Growing up, my best friend's dad used to pick on him... Said he sold his sword collection to get john ot of the hospital - would a left him if he'd of know how much the swords were gonna appreciate!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/23/20 2:31 p.m.

GRM review from BITD.

I'm betting that the media kit is on the shelf back in the office. The Sport was the hot one back then, so this wasn't nearly as big news for us. 

Keith Tanner
9/23/20 2:53 p.m.

The 10AE was the introduction of the 6-speed, though. Wasn't available in lesser models until 2000. So it's one of the very rare Miata specials that are more than just a paint color and a badge. The 30AE brings nothing unique to the table other than a bucket of orange paint. 

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/23/20 3:24 p.m.

I owned one, for about 4 years. Favorite car I've owned out of 11 (and one other Miata).

AaronT
AaronT Reader
9/23/20 5:13 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

The 10AE was the introduction of the 6-speed, though. Wasn't available in lesser models until 2000. So it's one of the very rare Miata specials that are more than just a paint color and a badge. The 30AE brings nothing unique to the table other than a bucket of orange paint. 

The thing the 30AE brings to table is a fun color. There's 1, maybe 2 of those on the ND before Mazda dumped a traffic cone on the 30AE. Maybe the MazdaCup wheels are cool too, but it's like Mazda leaned into this 'upscale' bullE36 M3 and only wants to sell Miatas in shades of paving materials.

Keith Tanner
9/23/20 7:09 p.m.

Trust me, I've been harassing Mazda to do something about the ND color palette from the start. I like that the 30AE is, umm, bold. But it's not mechanically interesting. 

AaronT
AaronT Reader
9/23/20 8:01 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I hope you can get through to them on the color.

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
9/24/20 11:02 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

But it's not mechanically interesting. 

Why break with a 30 year tradition?

Keith Tanner
9/24/20 11:37 a.m.

Go back to my comment about how the 10AE WAS mechanically interesting. It wasn't just an effort to build the most blue car ever.

The MSM was also mechanically interesting and was basically a special edition.

drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
9/24/20 12:50 p.m.
Tactical Penguin said:
Keith Tanner said:

Truth.

When I used to work at the hospital, had a cute nurse stare when I pulled up in my old '95 Miata and asked if it was a Maserati.

I joked that it was more like a Mazdarati.

No further interest from her after that exchange. laugh

A Cute girl who was a friend of a friend thought my NA was a Porsche.

I didn't correct her devil.   

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
9/24/20 1:32 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Go back to my comment about how the 10AE WAS mechanically interesting. It wasn't just an effort to build the most blue car ever.

The MSM was also mechanically interesting and was basically a special edition.

That same comment also noted the 10AE as the exception rather than the rule.

Speaking of the MSM, I actually almost put in my post: "If they had decided to make it truly mechanically interesting, then it wouldn't be an 'Edition' Miata at all...It would be a Mazdaspeed."

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
E2lEcwu3co2qmgtCcYMSYtQPzfs4bQv6f2DT4GxkjGEP43Bd2OfXm84NEMxBGFv3