1 2 3 4
RedGT
RedGT HalfDork
2/23/17 3:56 p.m.

56 cans? Jesus. I did a hardtop with <2 and a deck lid with 1. I think for the whole Miata I'd be looking at 13 cans total. And that's super thick and easy to peel.

Armitage
Armitage HalfDork
2/23/17 4:36 p.m.

I think the 56 cans was like the equivalent liquid volume of 3 or 4 gallons of PDS.

FWIW for both base coats and topcoats, I use 1/2 gal per coat on the FD. I put down 4 coats of base and 3-5 pearl coats depending on the base color. I haven't yet gone for a full gloss finish, maybe next time.

DYC recently announced a new product (proline) that slots in between the plastdip and the professional level autoflex product, but it looks like it's a lot more work and requires better equipment than the average home garage DIYer. Results looks pretty impressive though.

jr10cross
jr10cross Reader
2/23/17 5:17 p.m.

In reply to Trackmouse:

Lol yep I know

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock UltimaDork
2/23/17 5:29 p.m.

I used 2.75 gallons on mine which was six coats. An E21 is not a very big car. I did white which I believe doesn't have the same consistency as black does just from my experience.

You can see all the details of my experience in my build thread which is here.

jr10cross
jr10cross Reader
2/23/17 5:56 p.m.

In reply to Nick (Bo) Comstock:

Oh yeah I remember that post, it was a good one. I was thinking to do white but thought changing the color required a lot more product.

einy
einy Reader
2/23/17 6:33 p.m.

Ok ... now this post is making me seriously consider changing the color of my sort-a-pos S10 from bran to something "nicer"! Thanks alot, jr

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/23/17 8:28 p.m.
Trackmouse wrote: That's the best part about this stuff. You buy a bunch of black PD in bulk and spray it on for your base (that also builds layers) for cheap, then do a few coats of the actual color you want. I've always done 4 coats and it peels away very easy. When peeling tight sections that want to rip off too early I use a hair dryer to help lift it.

Careful with this. It can change the color. I sprayed Blaze blue over black instead of the recommended white. It came out Navy blue.

jr10cross
jr10cross Reader
2/24/17 5:18 a.m.

In reply to einy:

Happy to encourage sir!

jr10cross
jr10cross Reader
2/24/17 7:36 a.m.

Here a link to my short clips of the car outside. Admittedly I still have a little work to do with a little better coverage.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQ5VfvKgjRE/ But I'll just buy more and keep spraying

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/24/17 7:51 a.m.

You should show a before and after pic.

For $90, what you have done is amazing.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/24/17 8:20 a.m.
Robbie wrote: You should show a before and after pic. For $90, what you have done is amazing.

Indeed! Given that the paint on mine is pretty much crap, as well, this might be a decent interim solution until I can give it a proper respray.

jr10cross
jr10cross Reader
2/24/17 8:44 a.m.
Robbie wrote: You should show a before and after pic. For $90, what you have done is amazing.

Great suggestion!

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock UltimaDork
2/24/17 9:16 a.m.

That looks really good!

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/24/17 9:25 a.m.

I must admit, the fact that you don't need to do any masking is a big plus for this technique. Especially on a 944 that has so many little bits and pieces that would need to be removed and/or masked for a traditional paint job.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
2/24/17 9:47 a.m.

So what exactly did you spray on top of the Plasti-Dip? Something from Duplicolor, just normal spray paint from their line of metallics?

p.s. just watched the Instagram video and the car looks fantastic, all things considered. Too bad you don't have a better workspace. You're getting a lot done for a guy in a storage unit.

jr10cross
jr10cross Reader
2/24/17 10:25 a.m.
pres589 wrote: So what exactly did you spray on top of the Plasti-Dip? Something from Duplicolor, just normal spray paint from their line of metallics? p.s. just watched the Instagram video and the car looks fantastic, all things considered. Too bad you don't have a better workspace. You're getting a lot done for a guy in a storage unit.

I will say the 2 products spray very differently. The Duplicolor doesn't like when the can is tilted horizontally and the tip can leak. I would spray 2 or 3 lines and check the tip. If I saw a dribble, I'd wipe it away. Plasti-Dip sprays thicker and more consistent, Duplicolor seems to have a better finish in my opinion.

Thanks man, who knows one day I might graduate to getting in a real garage and devote more time to it. I'm trying to figure out a small business plan with Youtube, because my passion really is saving these neglected cars. I want the 944 to go the way of the 912 or 914/6 and eventually branch out into other cars as I learn more.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/24/17 10:32 a.m.

Thanks for sharing. Cool stuff.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
2/24/17 10:58 a.m.

Very cool JR. We'll have to do that to my 944. I don't like that color at all.

jr10cross
jr10cross Reader
2/24/17 11:05 a.m.
DrBoost wrote: Very cool JR. We'll have to do that to my 944. I don't like that color at all.

Come on Tracy, purple brings out the color in your eyes. lol j/k Your garage is perfect for the project. With your lift, we can skip the sore back after painting!

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/24/17 11:24 a.m.

Some part of me doesn't like the idea of this as opposed to "real" paint. At the same time, part of me is wondering how much it'd take to do my peeling, windowless Dadjiban...

Would it last long enough to keep me from having to do anything else for the life of the van?

I wonder what the life of the van is...

Anyhow, thanks for the demo!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/24/17 11:35 a.m.

As for life span, we dumped 3 gallons of black on my buddy's Wrangler. Overkill for sure, but it's stored outside and driven hard, including snow. It's still holding up great 3 years later.

jr10cross
jr10cross Reader
2/24/17 11:35 a.m.
Ransom wrote: Some part of me doesn't like the idea of this as opposed to "real" paint. At the same time, part of me is wondering how much it'd take to do my peeling, windowless Dadjiban... Would it last long enough to keep me from having to do anything else for the life of the van? I wonder what the life of the van is... Anyhow, thanks for the demo!

No problem sir. I think about it like this, if spending a little bit of money to plasti-dip helps me to save more money for a really good paint job one day, its totally worth it. I plasti-dipped this car because it has to prove to be a reliable car before I'm willing to spend good money on a decent paint job. I definitely didn't want to drive the car around for months looking like it did either. So, I invested 5 hours of my time repairing the issues and dipping the sucker. Plus doing patch work and dipping really does save the body more than leaving the car as is until I save up the money for a paint job.

Just my thoughts though

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
2/24/17 1:20 p.m.

So in summary, can you specify:

  • For this 944 project 5-6 coats were required for even, peelable coverage?
  • How many cans in total were required to lay those coats?
  • Of those, how many cans were required for the metalic finish coat?
  • What glossifier did you use, and how many cans?

Those of us who would like to bookmark this thread for future reference would like to know ;)

jr10cross
jr10cross Reader
2/24/17 1:45 p.m.
nderwater wrote: So in summary, can you specify: - For this 944 project 5-6 coats were required for even, peelable coverage? - How many cans in total were required to lay those coats? - Of those, how many cans were required for the metalic finish coat? - What glossifier did you use, and how many cans? Those of us who would like to bookmark this thread for future reference would like to know ;)
  • 8 coats to be peelable (remember I'm spray on average 15" away, which makes the coats light but less susceptible to runs
  • 13 cans total (11 ounce of product in each can)
  • 4 cans of metallic finish coat ( I'd say 5 though because I notice a light spot)
  • I didn't use glossifier at all this time ( finishing coat should act as the clear coat. Worked well on the top of my last car)
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/24/17 1:49 p.m.
jr10cross wrote:
Ransom wrote: Some part of me doesn't like the idea of this as opposed to "real" paint. At the same time, part of me is wondering how much it'd take to do my peeling, windowless Dadjiban... Would it last long enough to keep me from having to do anything else for the life of the van? I wonder what the life of the van is... Anyhow, thanks for the demo!
No problem sir. I think about it like this, if spending a little bit of money to plasti-dip helps me to save more money for a really good paint job one day, its totally worth it. I plasti-dipped this car because it has to prove to be a reliable car before I'm willing to spend good money on a decent paint job. I definitely didn't want to drive the car around for months looking like it did either. So, I invested 5 hours of my time repairing the issues and dipping the sucker. Plus doing patch work and dipping really does save the body more than leaving the car as is until I save up the money for a paint job. Just my thoughts though

That reasoning sounds totally cromulent.

1 2 3 4
Our Preferred Partners
pGrv8PaEd55mjkI8zBhtG68AYEYMYVCvlAhXWNArLsRBbLn2DJWXkvwm6VVl0vsI