1 2
PerniciousLies
PerniciousLies New Reader
1/4/17 1:42 p.m.

I thought I'd ask the knowledgeable folks here to weigh in on my next car purchase. A little background info to set the stage, I'm currently in college, so funds are relatively tight, but I can swing a few hundred for repairs every now and then. I'd like to do the majority of work myself, and have the skills and tools to do most simple things, however I live in the city and do not have a garage, although I do have off street parking.

Right now I am driving a 2004 P71. It's been ok, but I'm ready to move on. Budget will be approximately $3k, and I'll be ready to buy as soon as my car sells.

My desires change daily, but right now the top contenders are:

XJR- Highest powered, fastest (1/4 mile) car I'm considering. I've found several in my price range, but I'll admit, they scare me a bit. From what I've read, they are not too bad to own, but theres always the chance that it would ruin me. Having said that, I do like living on the edge lol.

C4 Corvette- This is currently in the lead for me I believe. Working on them doesn't scare me, since it is only a Chevy. I've also owned a C3 in the past, but rust killed that car. That shouldn't be an issue with the C4. I'd prefer to get an LT1, but wouldn't rule out the L98 in the right car. I would also really like a 6 speed, but in my budget I'd probably be stuck with an auto. Thats the biggest drawback. Even though the other cars I'm looking at are also autos, Corvettes really should have a clutch pedal, imo.

SC400/SC300- Probably the most practical car I'm looking at. Rock solid, but relatively boring. I know there is plenty of mod potential, but that probably wouldn't be in the cards.

Other contenders would be a Miata (already owned one), an SW20 MR2 or MR-S, possibly a Z32 300ZX (owned a TT one once with an r title, big POS. They do speak to me though). An RX8 scares me too much, but I'd like to own one someday.I look at BMWs fairly often, but they usually don't excite, with the exception of the Z3. Although, if I found an E46 wagon with a 5 speed...

As you can see, I'm all over the place with this. I also look at 70's trucks and big old land boats, but I think the gf would murder me lol.

So what am I missing? Am I crazy even to consider this stuff? Am I missing something obvious?

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
1/4/17 1:48 p.m.

I'd say you're crazy to consider most of it. That said, I did own a 1971 Cutlass in college during the 90's and had no place to work on it, so I was kind of crazy, too.

Of the bunch, I'd say SC400/300 is the sanest option. For 3K, you should be able to get a decent one. The Jag would be about the worst idea of the bunch, unless you don't need to actually drive anywhere. And I'd be very afraid of a $3K LT1 corvette, there would have to be a lot of deferred maintenance for one to be that cheap.

PerniciousLies
1/4/17 1:53 p.m.

Yes I am a bit crazy, I do realize it. However, some of my previous DDs have been a 1970 Chevy pickup w/ a 383 stroker, a 61 Belair that was slammed, a 1990 VW Corrado, the aforementioned POS TT 300ZX, and a lifted YJ with major rust issues. I'm no stranger to doing things the hard way lol.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
1/4/17 2:41 p.m.

Dude. You are doing it right.

Out of the list, id go lexus. But im old and fat, and youve already had a miata. I loved my c4, but my miata is just as good, if not better, at most things. Id not daily a c4 again.

I will go out on a limb and suggst a mazdaspeed protege. Those are fun and practical little cars.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
1/4/17 3:20 p.m.

At $3k, you are probably best off to just open your Craigslist and search for everything under $3k and then go check out a few cool cars that pop up. Seems you'd be open to a lot of cars.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
1/4/17 3:21 p.m.

Turbo Volvo or Saab? 3K will buy a nice one, they are fast and fun. I picked up a 2001 V70 T5 for $900 and drove it 700 miles home, so I do things the hard/dumb/exciting way too. It's been utterly reliable and a 5-speed turbo wagon is just too much fun. What part of the country do you live?

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/4/17 3:33 p.m.

what city do you live in?

If you had the space to do more more on it, Volvo 240 would be the answer. Cheap, all sorts of rear end upgrades for the Dana 30, OE turbo bits to bolt on, OE 16v head to bolt on, space to move post college, resistant to most environmental drama.

What about a duratec motivated focus zx3 with the manual? Cams and intake manifolds are out there to mark up the motor, suspension bits are an easy bolt on. Some magazine has one as a project rallycross car. Limited slip differentials are available if you have access to a garage over the summer.

and you can't go wrong with another miata.

PerniciousLies
1/4/17 3:35 p.m.

One thing maybe I should have mentioned, is that I would much prefer RWD. I live in the northeast, and I'm hoping to get something fun for cheap, since sane people don't want a RWD fun car in the winter. If it turned out to be a big pos, I'd sell it in the spring, when prices are up.

ETA: I have looked at the Volvo 240, but I'm kinda looking for something with a little more pizazz, ya know? I realize they are good cars with lots of potential, but visually they don't do anything for me. Plus, I'm not really looking to mod, just drive and fix when it breaks.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
1/4/17 4:31 p.m.

I recently stumbled onto this Camaro 4th gen when on my local CL but not really looking for anything in particular.
details in this thread.

You don't know what might also lurk in your own market.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
1/4/17 4:32 p.m.

Mustang with more than 6 cylinders and more than 4 speeds?

PerniciousLies
1/4/17 5:57 p.m.

I have considered Mustangs and Fbodies. They are on the list, but for some reason I can't get too excited about either one. Although an LS1/T56 car would be hard to say no to.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
1/4/17 6:00 p.m.

944?

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
1/4/17 6:26 p.m.
XJR- Highest powered, fastest (1/4 mile) car I'm considering. I've found several in my price range, but I'll admit, they scare me a bit. From what I've read, they are not too bad to own, but theres always the chance that it would ruin me. Having said that, I do like living on the edge lol.

I dunno if it would ruin you. Do you mean financially if it breaks? They're not crazy fast or even crazy nice. I guess you could say they are regular fast and nice? They're definitely a rare mix of attributes that appeal to a lot of people here. I got to do the infamous timing chain+tensioners and do a good bit of driving/hooning in one and if it weren't already repaired and you don't want to pay someone else to do it, i'd avoid it. After my experience with one, i'd actually go for a nice 6cyl car if I was shopping for myself. This may seem odd, but to me one of the main reasons is that THAT engine actually looks cool when you open the hood.

As for Camaros and C4s, Camaros are ergonomically E36 M3ty in the 3g and 4g cars anyway. If you're ok with bad ergo, why not get slightly worse ergo and WAY more sports-car attributes right out of the box with a C4? I haven't owned a C4, but i've owned a 4th gen F-body and worked on plenty of f-bodies and c4s, which includes a lot of spirited test drives. For a fun car i'd go for a C4 before an F-body for the same money. Just be prepared to be underwhelmed if you drive the wrong one. There are some fast c4s and some VERY slow ones so if you are looking for decent speed out of the box, only certain ones count, and dont write them all off if you do happen to go test drive one of the really slow ones.

PerniciousLies
1/4/17 10:22 p.m.

I wouldn't be ruined per se, as I do have a couple motorcycles to get around on, or sell in a worst case scenario. I'd just like to not spend every evening and weekends wrenching.

So the tensioners are really that much of a PITA? I looked it up and it didn't seem too bad, at least not to do the secondary tensioner, and from my understanding those are the ones that fail catastrophically.

As to the C4s. yes that was my general line of thought as well. Plus, it seems that prices are pretty similar for them vs the fbody.

A 944 is a car I hadn't really considered. Would a $3k one be a steaming pile of E36 M3?

chaparral
chaparral Dork
1/4/17 10:59 p.m.

You're looking for a Camaro.

frenchyd
frenchyd Reader
1/5/17 12:35 a.m.

In reply to PerniciousLies: Having owned my share of Corvettes I've enjoyed their performance but always feel a bit, well; NASCAR when driving them near their limits. As for the SC400/SC300 option, well how do you feel about boredom? True they do tend to be wallpaper paste but that does not mean they can't have the occasional hiccup or issue.
The Jaguar choice has the potential to be the most rewarding both from a satisfaction aspect and from a reward aspect. However a lot of people walk away because it's a Jaguar... confusing ownership of high maintenance complex cars of the past days to todays cars.. The basic engine was purchased from Jaguar and used in the GM's SUV's in part because of it's reliability and low warranty costs.. The basic truth is any car regardless of it's reputation can be a great reliable or troublesome beast with ignorance usually the determining factor.. Concerned about timing chain issues? Bring a mechanics stethoscope with you and place it down on the timing chain cover.. If you hear rattles and snapping, walk away. If it sounds smooth stop your fretting.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
1/5/17 6:11 a.m.

A $3K 944 will be a decent non turbo car. They aren't fast, per se, but exceedingly well balanced and fun.
How about this Already has snow tires

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/5/17 11:50 a.m.

In reply to Vigo:

I must be some weird shaped mother berker or maybe I'm just crazy. Everyone else on the planet seems to hate Camaro ergonomics, but my 4th gen fit me better than any other car I've owned or spent significant time in.

I'm also thoroughly of the opinion that every car loving man should own a muscle car at some point prior to age 25 or so, before too much maturity sets in

Of the cars listed, I'd go with either the C4 or SW20, leaning towards the latter. Otherwise, maybe E36/E46? FC RX7?

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
1/5/17 12:11 p.m.

You know, with one of those big old land barges, you can easily just rent a U-haul trailer and move wherever after college. They're cheap, parts are a dime a dozen, and they're all pretty easy to work on. Fuel economy will suck, but they're cheap to insure. It's actually not a bad idea.

PerniciousLies
1/5/17 1:10 p.m.
G_Body_Man wrote: You know, with one of those big old land barges, you can easily just rent a U-haul trailer and move wherever after college. They're cheap, parts are a dime a dozen, and they're all pretty easy to work on. Fuel economy will suck, but they're cheap to insure. It's actually not a bad idea.

All very good points, but I'm really leaning towards something sportier this time around. I've done the big car thing a couple times already.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
1/5/17 1:18 p.m.

Small, RWD, sporty. You're putting yourself in a miata, 3-series, RX7 or 8, or MR2. If you consider Mustangs and f-bodies sporty, there are those two. Not much else out there.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
1/5/17 1:25 p.m.

In reply to PerniciousLies:

Infiniti G35 Sedan?

penultimeta
penultimeta Reader
1/5/17 4:07 p.m.

In reply to Furious_E:

I agree with you. 3rd and 4th gen F bodies have always fit me pretty good. I always figured it was because I was tall with a long torso and ape arms. Short or more normally proportioned people might fair worse.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/5/17 4:57 p.m.

i'd look for the best condition E30 or E36 that you can find.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
1/5/17 5:21 p.m.

I'd say E36...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HTa5U1vuGc44R63GXIc2EmM7QPQ6fgN3T1q9nQmzTgyqvASDmvb0DfI0PiKrpuw0