759NRNG UberDork
7/26/22 9:15 p.m.

The G-Force 1320 Ford 9 inch in the V when I get back to Texas cheeky

newrider3
newrider3 HalfDork
7/26/22 9:30 p.m.
buzzboy said:

Gold Mesh Wheels

Came here to say exactly this. Don't know what car it would be but gold wheels are the answer for one and only one mod.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Dork
7/26/22 9:54 p.m.

Is "drop it off at a race shop" one mod?

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve Dork
7/26/22 11:44 p.m.

My cheap truck and my mod is ...

:)

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
7/26/22 11:52 p.m.

In reply to Bent-Valve :

My favorite plan. I'd love to work at my own machine shop. Unfortunately, if I had to pay bills with it, id starve to death! 

Dampers.

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/27/22 9:37 a.m.

2005 Ford GT and a set of sticky tires.

hunter47
hunter47 Reader
7/27/22 11:42 a.m.

NC1 NSX with the accompanying GT3 kit.

GM > MG
GM > MG New Reader
7/27/22 1:50 p.m.

That most classic performance mod and mandatory safety mod if your are using Taco Bell as power source:

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/27/22 1:52 p.m.

A pair of turbo's running on E85. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/27/22 4:22 p.m.
frenchyd said:

A pair of turbo's running on E85. 

You didn't say what car but I approve of your hexaturbo M550d cheeky (Good luck with the ethanol conversion!)

livinon2wheels
livinon2wheels GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/27/22 5:33 p.m.

Make mine a gt3rs with the budget to campaign it for the next decade at all the good tracks including the ring. And yeah add in one hot blonde German woman with mad skills on the track and in the rack. Now where is that blunt? :)

sfisher71
sfisher71 New Reader
7/27/22 5:53 p.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

Tightening the connection between the steering wheel and the gas pedal is always the most important mod you can make. And it's the only mod you can take with you, no matter what you're driving.

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/27/22 5:56 p.m.

Very non-GRM, but the speakers.  They just flat out suck in most cars, including mine.

Cactus
Cactus HalfDork
7/27/22 5:58 p.m.

I'd get an Elan NP01 or DP02 or some other similar car and my only mod would be a seat wide enough for my ass.

sfisher71
sfisher71 New Reader
7/27/22 6:14 p.m.

It used to be common, when someone found out I write about cars, for them to ask me what mod they should make to theirs first.

My answer then as now is: Whatever annoys you the most about your car. 

Having said that... Hagerty tells me my #1 pick, a 1963 Ferrari 250 Berlinetta "Lusso," is outside the range of this particular gedankenexperiment, even in condition #3. 

If it had been in my price range, though, the mod would have been a functional cooling system. 

So staying within the price limits, I'd say this:

Send my 1974 Alfa Romeo Spider to Alfaholics in the UK and have them give it the whole treatment -- engine, suspension, paint and rust repair, new leather, the works. That'd be the purchase part; yes, I own the Spider, but it would be a new car at the end of the process. Right? Right?

The mod, then: In keeping with my comment above, about tightening the connection between the steering wheel and the gas pedal, I'd spend the "mod money" on a series of track days -- Spa, the Ring, etc. -- plus a few European historic rallies, and most definitely follow the Mille Miglia Storica for a thousand miles through Italy. And, of course, take the lovely-and-talented for a ride along the Amalfi Coast, just like in "Under The Tuscan Sun" while we're over there.

At that point I might need a spa day or three of my own, just to do a little Chapman-esque "adding lightness" after the culinary portion of the European adventure. 

Reminds me, said lovely-and-talented bought us a lottery ticket for the drawing due today. I'll send y'all a postcard from the Cinqueterre if we win...

msterbeau
msterbeau New Reader
7/27/22 6:16 p.m.

Volvo's P1800 Cyan restomod.  I'd be tempted to go with a reduced wheel size and corresponding tire.  I don't love giant wheels on older cars.  Nothing that would require changing brakes or other hardware, though.

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
7/27/22 6:56 p.m.

RUF SCR and the one mod being a Valentine one? I thought the CTR at first but to be honest 700 hp is more than I can really manage.  The SCR has more of a retro look.

The SCR retail claimed 800k ish

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/27/22 11:39 p.m.
Bent-Valve said:

My cheap truck and my mod is ...

:)

What site did you find that posting on?

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
7/28/22 12:33 a.m.

A limited-slip diff.

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
7/28/22 11:15 a.m.

I think that brakes are simply maintenance not modding (unless you are one of the people that goes for Big Brakes as an appearance mod) and ditto for having good tires on a car.

Therefor my single most important mod would be suspension - suitable sway bar(s), shocks and springs so that the handling is as good as possible. That is also a good (and necessary, although many ignore that) precursor to any significant power increase from later mods.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lMgobclESStqm7YNyLywyo2HldZ5F5KBUswPLkt2Bzs43Edxs4kMkHlFxOGuI6Ca